Virgin Media Fibre Installation Process Question?

Found 4th Jan 2016
Over a week ago I joined up with Virgin Media for their (upto) 50mb fibre package after BT couldn't give me a good deal to keep me on as a customer. I chose to have the installation to be done on the 6th of this month.

I received two text messages last week to say 1) if its OK for an engineer to come today between 8am-6pm so I replied yes, 2) if its OK for an engineer to come on the 6th between 8am-1pm.

No one has turned up (yet) today, so I called Virgin CS and told them that no one has turned up and why is it that there is two different appointments booked for me. I was told that the engineers work upto 8pm and they may not need to attend my property today as they most likely be working on the local box/exchange to make sure everything is OK for the engineer to come and set everything up on the day I chose for installation (the 6th) when I signed up for the package over a week ago.

Just wanted to ask you fellow HUKD'ers that have had Virgin's fibre installed, if this is the normal procedure of installation by Virgin, thanks guys!!!
Community Updates
14 Comments
I signed up for the same package a couple of months ago and had the same procedure. The initial appointment just seems to be so that they can check everything is in place for the actual install date, don't think they need access to the house.
When they install it - they first pull a cable using a Cobra to the cabinet. They don't need access to your house to do this. This is done before they run the coaxial cable from the point at the bottom of your driveway through your garden etc and into your house.
Mine is supposed to be happening tomorrow. I will keep people informed. I've already got ducting into my house and to where I want the router, so it should be pretty simple for them. However, in the past they have suggested it's not possible. So I got my rodding kit and pulled the cable myself and suggested they should stop moaning !
paulandfrodo

Mine is supposed to be happening tomorrow. I will keep people informed. … Mine is supposed to be happening tomorrow. I will keep people informed. I've already got ducting into my house and to where I want the router, so it should be pretty simple for them. However, in the past they have suggested it's not possible. So I got my rodding kit and pulled the cable myself and suggested they should stop moaning !

Thanks guys, @paulandfrodo if you don't mind post your updates on here for me to see how things progress for you As I live in a block of flats on the top (4th) floor, hopefully everything should go well for me. Plus I live right next to the City of London, I should be ok for dl/ul speeds as with BT fibre I was getting full speeds without any hiccups...

Edited by: "rimz790" 4th Jan 2016
I'm in a Victorian terrace. However I'm only building the brick wall to the front and paving after these guys have done the cables, so I can run it all under the pavers, I hate seeing cables !! I'll post back. If I don't. Do nudge me.
I'm in a Victorian terrace. However I'm only building the brick wall to the front and paving after these guys have done the cables, so I can run it all under the pavers, I hate seeing cables !! I'll post back. If I don't. Do nudge me.
paulandfrodo

I'm in a Victorian terrace. However I'm only building the brick wall to … I'm in a Victorian terrace. However I'm only building the brick wall to the front and paving after these guys have done the cables, so I can run it all under the pavers, I hate seeing cables !! I'll post back. If I don't. Do nudge me.

Sure no probs X)
yes this is common. freaked me out when I saw a man inside the gate but just by the window.
was just checking all is ok and as I had Virgin installed years ago, he was just looking what work they
would need to do on installation day.

I jumped ship from Virgin to BT because of the price. Great service from Virgin but
price was getting too much.
shabbird

yes this is common. freaked me out when I saw a man inside the gate but … yes this is common. freaked me out when I saw a man inside the gate but just by the window. was just checking all is ok and as I had Virgin installed years ago, he was just looking what work theywould need to do on installation day. I jumped ship from Virgin to BT because of the price. Great service from Virgin but price was getting too much.

Thanks, I'm doing the opposite BT to Virgin due to no deal from BT X) Most likely I'll be yoyo-ing between BT to Virgin and vice versa as signing up as new customers with either seems to be the only way to get good deals. Plus with Virgin its a 12 month contract.
rimz790

Thanks, I'm doing the opposite BT to Virgin due to no deal from BT X) … Thanks, I'm doing the opposite BT to Virgin due to no deal from BT X) Most likely I'll be yoyo-ing between BT to Virgin and vice versa as signing up as new customers with either seems to be the only way to get good deals. Plus with Virgin its a 12 month contract.

yes..loyalty is no longer rewarded. I was with Virgin for over 15 years :(. I had a BT line so when the black friday offer came, I grabbed it. Was £400 a year to VM and now £65 a year. Thanks to a £100 mastercard.

I guess in 12 months will be changing again.
I had my virgin fibre setup on Wednesday and it all went good!

The cabling for Virgins fibre was already setup on our block of flats as the engineer came to flat, went to the rear window, pulled the cables in, drilled the fibre and telephone boxes into the wall and all was up running! First day got upto 44 mbps and then the line has settled to 52 mbps from the second day. The wifi router supplied is the white Hub 3 and is providing very good wifi signal all around the flat.

So I am more than happy with the deal and service! Plus I guess living right next to the city of London where my exchange is situated is a added bonus to getting a reliable service.
Right. The guy turned up on time. He even swapped out and gave me a new Hub 3.0. The only thing i can complain about is that they didn't leave a manual for the HUB 3.0. All up and working perfectly. No complaints as yet.
paulandfrodo

Right. The guy turned up on time. He even swapped out and gave me a new … Right. The guy turned up on time. He even swapped out and gave me a new Hub 3.0. The only thing i can complain about is that they didn't leave a manual for the HUB 3.0. All up and working perfectly. No complaints as yet.

I was left a quick guide for the Hub 3.0, but I had to hoover up the wall dust left from the drilling they did, but no biggie as I had to hoover up that area anyway of the dust buildup...
Hi @rimz790 did you opt for 50mbps or 100mbps?
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants