Virgin media, held to ransom

Found 31st Aug 2017Edited by:"mb021"
So, my new customer deal is coming to an end. I'm paying £29 for land line, basic tv and 50 mb internet.
Next year the best price would be £44.

A new customer deal at the moment for virgin media via uswitch is £30 for 100mb internet, tv and phone.
My question is, can I cancel. Then get my sister or friend to take out the new package at my address on the new customer deal ?

Or can I just take the new deal in my name once I've cancelled ?
Will they suspect something or is it OK to do so.

The woman on the phone knows the speed I can get if I leave (4mb max) so knows I'm not going elsewhere, therefore won't reduce any further.
Many thanks in advance for any advice.
Community Updates
Ask
20 Comments
I'd do what you said there is no rule to say new customer can't be family member
I am not sure that you will be able to retain your phone number as you are not switching suppliers. Have you tried going to customer retentions and asked them why new customers are getting a better deal? Also, offer to pay the telephone line rental up front to keep costs down.
Edited by: "sydney871" 31st Aug 2017
My mate just been offered that as a retention deal.
Check your email or letters, virgin media have a price rise above inflation and you have a right to cancel without charges. I phoned up yesterday and said I'm sick of the prices constantly going up (never mentioned speed or anything just cost) the guy took my bill down by £25 a month. Try that maybe
How are you 'held to ransom'? You have the option to go elsewhere...
Just tell them you want to cancel based on the price increase and comparison to what a new customer gets, that it's too much of a cost increase for you so you'll have to go on slower Adam.
Then either you will be put to retentions or get a call in a few days from retentions
deleted800342
Dannyrobbo1 h, 46 m ago

Check your email or letters, virgin media have a price rise above …Check your email or letters, virgin media have a price rise above inflation and you have a right to cancel without charges. I phoned up yesterday and said I'm sick of the prices constantly going up (never mentioned speed or anything just cost) the guy took my bill down by £25 a month. Try that maybe

Did that tie you in for another 12/18 months?
moob2 h, 22 m ago

Openreach is limited 4mbit so OP is stuck with virgin which is pretty harsh drop from 50mbit
Edited by: "kester76" 31st Aug 2017
RiverDragon83 h, 42 m ago

My mate just been offered that as a retention deal.

Do you mean the 100 mb TV and phone for £30 ? Do you have the option to switch to another fiber provider ? (Do bt run fiber down your road too) thanks
moob3 h, 0 m ago

My options of going else where ? BT don't run fiber down my road so the adsl internet speed is 2 mb with a maximum of 4mb. Having 4mb won't even do the basic everyday tasks on the internet.
Can you recommend someone else who can provide a decent internet connection i.e. 50mb ? Thanks
deleted80034231st Aug 2017

I received my letter today to say the price is increasing by over 10% but that's starting from November. By that time it would have already gone from £29 to £44 and then £3.49 on top for good measure..
sydney8714 h, 0 m ago

I am not sure that you will be able to retain your phone number as you are …I am not sure that you will be able to retain your phone number as you are not switching suppliers. Have you tried going to customer retentions and asked them why new customers are getting a better deal? Also, offer to pay the telephone line rental up front to keep costs down.

tbh I don't use or even know my landline phone number. I couldn't care less if they change it. All I'd like is a deal to match the new customers offers.

I think I'm going to cancel and ask my sister to take out the new package and I'll pay the bill to her. Cheers
Edited by: "mb021" 31st Aug 2017
You need to play the retention game. You ring them up and see what they've to offer you. If its you say no thanks and put in your cancellation notice in. Then 3 weeks later ring them back up (if they haven't rang you) and see what retention deal they have to offer you (this subject been mentioned on here 100's of times).
My mate got that £30 deal you mentioned. If you want to skip over to BT go ahead...'shrugs shoulders' do whats best for you (obviously).
deleted80034231st Aug 2017

Yeah it did I think 12 months, but the way their pricing goes up year on year I've never actually done a year without phoning to adjust
mb02116 h, 23 m ago

tbh I don't use or even know my landline phone number. I couldn't care …tbh I don't use or even know my landline phone number. I couldn't care less if they change it. All I'd like is a deal to match the new customers offers.I think I'm going to cancel and ask my sister to take out the new package and I'll pay the bill to her. Cheers

RiverDragon816 h, 15 m ago

You need to play the retention game. You ring them up and see what they've …You need to play the retention game. You ring them up and see what they've to offer you. If its you say no thanks and put in your cancellation notice in. Then 3 weeks later ring them back up (if they haven't rang you) and see what retention deal they have to offer you (this subject been mentioned on here 100's of times).My mate got that £30 deal you mentioned. If you want to skip over to BT go ahead...'shrugs shoulders' do whats best for you (obviously).

The trouble with virgin media is they know they've got you if you can't get anything faster. You can say well I'm going to BT or another but they know their speeds are very poor if there's no fttc fitted. They end up saying well it's not a comparable deal.

Its not worked that well with them saying that in the past for me, I go down the price rise route and they bring it down
mb02120 h, 43 m ago

My options of going else where ? BT don't run fiber down my road so the …My options of going else where ? BT don't run fiber down my road so the adsl internet speed is 2 mb with a maximum of 4mb. Having 4mb won't even do the basic everyday tasks on the internet. Can you recommend someone else who can provide a decent internet connection i.e. 50mb ? Thanks

It's supply and demand though, not ransom. You can use 4Mb BB for most tasks. People get so dramatic about feeling they are done some kind of disservice.
mb02131st Aug

tbh I don't use or even know my landline phone number. I couldn't care …tbh I don't use or even know my landline phone number. I couldn't care less if they change it. All I'd like is a deal to match the new customers offers.I think I'm going to cancel and ask my sister to take out the new package and I'll pay the bill to her. Cheers

So you're claiming they're holding you to ransom, so in answer to that you're now fraudulently entering into a contract.
Edited by: "moob" 2nd Sep 2017
mb02121 h, 37 m ago

.I think I'm going to cancel and ask my sister to take out the new package ….I think I'm going to cancel and ask my sister to take out the new package and I'll pay the bill to her. Cheers

Bear in mind there may well be a gap in services whilst you wait for an installation date as you will be required to send your equipment back. Obviously, your sister needs to be living with you as else she will fail the credit check when she signs up at your address.
Edited by: "chocci" 1st Sep 2017
I thought VM ban an address for 6 months to prevent doing the old cease and sign back up, might of changed but it was a thing once.
PKRichie41 m ago

I thought VM ban an address for 6 months to prevent doing the old cease …I thought VM ban an address for 6 months to prevent doing the old cease and sign back up, might of changed but it was a thing once.

Think its 3 months now.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants