Virgin Media - High Utilisation (90%) in Surrey causing poor internet and tv service

Found 23rd Jul 2016
Thought I would share with all Virgin Media Customers they have admitted that they currently have a 90% High Utilisation in their network (tv,broadband).

What this means for me is I am paying for 200mbs vivid but only getting 1mbs download speeds, TV on-demand and any interactive services are slow or unusable and the Wi-Fi is practically unusable also. When peak times occur the problems get even worst !

If you are suffering the same issues report them and ask for a credit on the affected services.

You are also entitled to cancel your contract due because you were not informed of this issue when you were sold the product and now you are also not receiving what you are paying for.

Virgin media have a policy where they will not let you cancel until you have 3 engineer visits. This problem cannot be fixed residentially and can only be improved by Virgin Media upgrading cables in your area and equipment.

I had been told 3 Years ago this issue would be fixed soon and recently returned to VM to discover the same problems so I today cancelled my contract and joined Sky.

I hope someone benefits from this post as I am very angry VM can knowing sell a product they can't supply ! surely this is against the law ?
Community Updates
23 Comments
90% utilisation you say?

Expect the "your bill is increasing by £2 a month" very shortly while you pay to upgrade their network!
Graham1979

90% utilisation you say?Expect the "your bill is increasing by £2 a … 90% utilisation you say?Expect the "your bill is increasing by £2 a month" very shortly while you pay to upgrade their network!

​that's what they told me
Have read horror stories with most broadband providers. I'm on Virgin media and want to change and currently paying 27 quid for weekend calls and 70mb broad band!
Mines God Dam awful and has been for the last month or so.
Always seems to happen at this time of year.
If i dare downloaded anything over 1gb my net just shuts down and I have to force a shut down on my superhub.
Kids are on holiday. That's why utilisation has shot up.
Had the same issue in London. 30Mb/s line would drop to 2Mb/s. My guess is they are selling far too many contracts in crowded areas without first upgrading their infrastructure.
Not sure about anyone else but my super hub 2 ain't giving off 5ghz signal for a few days. I only noticed it the other day. Internet been working fine though so didn't complain.
Graham1979

90% utilisation you say?Expect the "your bill is increasing by £2 a … 90% utilisation you say?Expect the "your bill is increasing by £2 a month" very shortly while you pay to upgrade their network!

Yes partly because unlike BT they do not get tax payers money to upgrade off.

EN1GMA

Not sure about anyone else but my super hub 2 ain't giving off 5ghz … Not sure about anyone else but my super hub 2 ain't giving off 5ghz signal for a few days. I only noticed it the other day. Internet been working fine though so didn't complain.

Nothing to do with VM, something's misconfigured on your router or your device(s) don't support 5GHz.

Edited by: "Myriad" 23rd Jul 2016
Virgin media has always been excellent for me. Constantly get above advertised speeds and never had downtime. Other companies don't come close
Have had the same problem in southampton since November they recon it be sorted by August not holding my breath.
been with vm 8 years ...still no tivo upgrade the box was crap to start with and now is aged so what ,sky flying ahead baring bb sky q is miles ahead of Virgins box

heard vm have a 4k box in pipeline but they need to pull there finger out
We had a similar thing in our area several months ago that lasted several months. VM. said that it was one or a couple of users abusing the network in the area but that they couldn't track them down. Not sure how true that would be but it rectified itself in the end.
They credited my account for 6 months be a use of it anyway.
My understanding of this is when VM identify an area approaching 90+% they flag it up to a network team, confirm they need to physically intervene for an upgrade and have to plan the best course of action. They then book it in with the local land owners as to when they are allowed to tackle the work and upgrade accordingly.

They've already publically announced that "Project Lightning" thing to do with this;
about.virginmedia.com/pre…out

I would have thought they'd want to fix these areas as soon as possible as they've also recently announced 4K boxes coming soon; when those channels start to become streamed the data usage is going to increase gradually again (Standard def data x 4 = 1 HD data, HD data x 4 = Ultra HD data, therefore 16 x SD = 1 UHD). It'll take a while for content to eventually roll out so it's going to take a while for that to impact any areas, but I can see it being in VM's best interest to nip it in the bud early on before it becomes mainstream.

I think they'll always see patches of their network experiencing this as you've got fibre optics laid in areas with different population levels and different tech at the time (2mb broadband being top tier wouldn't need that much maximum size of cabling in 2001; since they now go up to something like 200mb top services that part of the network would have this issue). All they can do is as it's getting flagged upgrade the area and make it able to handle the next few years demand and upgrade when the demand increases.

I've got 150mb from them and in fairness I can get 157mb speedtests on 5ghz on a mobile which is complete overkill; also had to buy a TP Link Wifi Extender in the house so my front bedroom can pick up wifi (works a treat too, my house is now fully wifi covered). I've had BB with them for about 9 years and I think I've been without service once for a week (while they were putting a new server in the area) and I think I'd had about 2 blips outside of that. I completely take it for granted now.
stuarthanley

We had a similar thing in our area several months ago that lasted several … We had a similar thing in our area several months ago that lasted several months. VM. said that it was one or a couple of users abusing the network in the area but that they couldn't track them down. Not sure how true that would be but it rectified itself in the end. They credited my account for 6 months be a use of it anyway.

How can you "abuse" something you're paying for?
critster

Have had the same problem in southampton since November they recon it be … Have had the same problem in southampton since November they recon it be sorted by August not holding my breath.

I got told August after they told me it would be fixed in January,March and then June.
benjammin316

Virgin media has always been excellent for me. Constantly get above … Virgin media has always been excellent for me. Constantly get above advertised speeds and never had downtime. Other companies don't come close

I have the same, Virgin have always been great for us - consistently get over 200mb down and over 10mb up.
I'm still waiting for my Virgin line to be installed on my close. I'm paying for infinity 2 but getting infinity 1 50mbit and there's no way I'm signing up for another 12 month contract to get the cheaper rate. I only got that speed because I bought a new faceplate and rj45 to rj11 cable.
Atleast virgin media is updating their networks unlike BT and their old ass cables.
We've never had any issues with Virgin regarding speed drops and the like (NE32 Area) You get the odd outage but these are now few and far between.

Just checked with BT and we don't even have fibre in our area yet. When we switched over to Virgin in 2005 from BT (Phone) and AOL our speed was 512kb and guess what, 512kb is listed as the minimum guaranteed speed with 1.5mb being the max estimated. Not much of an improvement in 11 years considering Virgin/Telewest had their high speed cabling in the ground here in 1996. Pretty pathetic actually on BT's part.
I have the same in Rubery, Birmingham. Awfully slow at night and daytime. Early morning the best. I had enough and rang Virgin and they told me that they were at 100% capacity and they were improving the speed to cope with the demand over the next few months. They offered me half price broadband for six months.
have had similar issues in Haringey area of London with virgin media, it's been up and mostly down over the the last 3 years.
latest update is : Got a text recently stating issue fixed.....l.lol.lol. Rang up to log another complaint and now after a technical conversation they admitted it would be Q4 ! lies and lies. they are knowingly selling to customers 200mb and not informing them of this issue. Looking into what laws they are breaking so I can pursue this officially.
PAUL2888130

I have the same in Rubery, Birmingham. Awfully slow at night and daytime. … I have the same in Rubery, Birmingham. Awfully slow at night and daytime. Early morning the best. I had enough and rang Virgin and they told me that they were at 100% capacity and they were improving the speed to cope with the demand over the next few months. They offered me half price broadband for six months.

​also make sure you get half price tv as it's supplied by the same fibre cable as that's what I got
Just signed up for Virgin 200 meg. On installation, it was getting 35mb. Later that day it crept up to over 100 after 10pm. At 8am Sunday morning I got 203- fantastic. Then it gradually dropped again. A low was Sunday afternoon, at 10 meg. Then at midnight I got 200 again, then at 6am getting 215!
After many calls the other day, it was stated that my area is 'utilisation'- in other words, over subscribed for the infrastructure and they don't have a cat in hell's chance of delivering anything like 200mb. People will say it is 'up to' but if for 90% of the day you can only get 10%- 50% of the speed, it is dubious business (being kind) to sell you a 200mb package.
Not only that, but given our estate and the one next door has had it installed in the street, they are now sending out their salesman to sell it to all and sundry- already my next door neighbours have said they will have it installed and many others are signing up. This will only add to the problem, and Virgin KNOW they cannot supply the speeds.
Fortunately, the incompetents also failed to cancel my BT (constant 55 meg download speed for me) so I am just switching back and canceling the Virgin in the 14 day cooling off period. I am also warning all people in my area, by mouth and I intend to put a Facebook post on (only facts mind) so people know the real story. Maybe that will cause them to action the matter and not sell packages that they cannot deliver.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions