Virgin Media Internet connection

Posted 5th Jul 2019
Hello I have the Virgin Hub 3, the Internet seems fine downstairs but absolutely terrible in the bedrooms upstairs, constant moans of lagging xboxes etc, the furthest bedroom can’t even pick up enough to watch you tube on the V6 box. Someone has told me to get my own router, is it just a case of buying one and swapping them over or is more involved .. any recommendations would be great too.

Thank you.
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

34 Comments
You put the virgin router in modem mode and then connect it to the new router. I did this as I had the same problems as you, it helps but still not great.

Getting a Mesh system helped a lot, now the internet is flawless in the whole house!
Just buy a mesh system either the bt set of 3 or google wifi it will solve all your problems
Yeah the Virgin Media routers are terrible. Endured a year with it but left today. Couldn't be bothered to buy a replacement or repurpose an old BT Smart Hub.

Don't get me wrong, the actual connection to the router was very stable and I constantly got the speeds advertised. WiFi in the same room as the router was also great. Go anywhere else in the house (and we have a small terraced house) and WiFi is shockingly poor.
Mesh System all the way. BT Whole Home is the one I use and is great.
I just got a WiFi extender and put it in a socket on the landing, no complaints since probably not as good as a 90 quid mesh system but for less than 20 it solved my problems
Edited by: "ding" 5th Jul 2019
A cheaper solution is a powerline adapter kit that uses the house's wiring to transmit the signal upstairs.
One adapter plugs in near the router and you connect a network cable between it and the router and the other plugs in upstairs where it could be attached to the device or a network switch to share the signal.
deleted1447778
If you have an ethernet port up stairs then you can't beat a wired access point, Ubiquiti UniFi are very good but there are cheaper models from different manufacturers.
Edited by: "deleted1447778" 5th Jul 2019
deleted1471098
Get a mesh system such as BT HOME WIFI or GOOGLE HOME WIFI and connect it to the hub once you have put it in modem only mode.

I have virgin and google home WiFi and now get great speeds everywhere even in the garden.

I have 3 units which cover a 4 bed detached house with large garden. 2 would cover a smaller house.
I just turn the 2.5ghz and 5ghz signal off the superhub 3 so I can still use the Ethernet ports what difference does modem mode do ?
deleted1447778
deleted147109805/07/2019 13:11

Get a mesh system such as BT HOME WIFI or GOOGLE HOME WIFI and connect it …Get a mesh system such as BT HOME WIFI or GOOGLE HOME WIFI and connect it to the hub once you have put it in modem only mode. I have virgin and google home WiFi and now get great speeds everywhere even in the garden.I have 3 units which cover a 4 bed detached house with large garden. 2 would cover a smaller house.

Not cheap if you have 3, one UniFi AP could probably have done the same job.

Don't get me wrong I like Mesh systems.
I know this problem, have a bt home hub only 2 years old, now wifi only works on one device in the same room, anywhere else in the house nothing works at all, using powerline adaptors for all other devices in the house, going through a lot of mobile data to circumvent devices without an ethernet port however
I've just bought a Tenda router and switched the Hub3(nothing super about it) into modem mode.

The difference is unreal, I found even the Virgin Media powerline adapters to be rubbish.

Now I get an excellent signal pretty much anywhere in the house and even at the end of the garden
Tenda MW3 mesh system will sort you out for a fraction of BT or Google
Thanks everyone, looks like Mesh is the way to go as we live in a large 4 bed house. Tried the extender and the powerline adapters. Better save some pennies
deleted1471098
deleted144777805/07/2019 14:15

Not cheap if you have 3, one UniFi AP could probably have done the same …Not cheap if you have 3, one UniFi AP could probably have done the same job.Don't get me wrong I like Mesh systems.

Not worried about the price, it’s stability, ease of use and reliability. It’s good kit and I have a large house and would have needed 3 or whatever anyway.
deleted1447778
deleted147109805/07/2019 20:35

Not worried about the price, it’s stability, ease of use and reliability. I …Not worried about the price, it’s stability, ease of use and reliability. It’s good kit and I have a large house and would have needed 3 or whatever anyway.

Yes its a good bit of kit, like I said I like mesh systems, it's just most poeple think they can't get full coverage from a single unit based off poor performing poorly situated devices they've had previously.

If you needed 3 UniFi AP's I would happily eat my hat, their coverage is ridiculous
deleted1471098
Felicitous05/07/2019 14:33

I know this problem, have a bt home hub only 2 years old, now wifi only …I know this problem, have a bt home hub only 2 years old, now wifi only works on one device in the same room, anywhere else in the house nothing works at all, using powerline adaptors for all other devices in the house, going through a lot of mobile data to circumvent devices without an ethernet port however

Then get some mesh units. Only the first one needs to be plugged into the modem/router, the rest connect wirelessly to the first unit.
deleted1447778
Felicitous05/07/2019 14:33

I know this problem, have a bt home hub only 2 years old, now wifi only …I know this problem, have a bt home hub only 2 years old, now wifi only works on one device in the same room, anywhere else in the house nothing works at all, using powerline adaptors for all other devices in the house, going through a lot of mobile data to circumvent devices without an ethernet port however

What BT Smart Hub do you have? the hub6 is an excellent router, suprised the hell out of me when I got mine, I get full strength signal on 2.4GHz everywhere and just slightly lower on 5GHz in some areas, I'm in a large house.

Have you done a reset or asked for a replacement.
Edited by: "deleted1447778" 6th Jul 2019
deleted147109806/07/2019 09:06

Then get some mesh units. Only the first one needs to be plugged into the …Then get some mesh units. Only the first one needs to be plugged into the modem/router, the rest connect wirelessly to the first unit.

sounds fun but what is a mesh unit? and if part of my contract includes a hub to connect to the internet why do i have to buy equipment myself for it to work?
deleted144777806/07/2019 10:19

What BT Smart Hub do you have? the hub6 is an excellent router, suprised …What BT Smart Hub do you have? the hub6 is an excellent router, suprised the hell out of me when I got mine, I get full strength signal on 2.4GHz everywhere and just slightly lower on 5GHz in some areas, I'm in a large house.Have you done a reset or asked for a replacement.

tried contacting them, one member of staff offered equipment replacement, it never came, enquired about it and was told they wont replace broken equipment - reset plenty of times

wont replace because it says there is a connection on their end...
Edited by: "Felicitous" 6th Jul 2019
deleted1471098
Felicitous06/07/2019 11:01

sounds fun but what is a mesh unit? and if part of my contract includes a …sounds fun but what is a mesh unit? and if part of my contract includes a hub to connect to the internet why do i have to buy equipment myself for it to work?tried contacting them, one member of staff offered equipment replacement, it never came, enquired about it and was told they wont replace broken equipment - reset plenty of timeswont replace because it says there is a connection on their end...

You don’t have to buy equipment, it just works much better than the cheap stuff ISP’s such as BT/Virgin etc give away which is only basic and has poor range.

A mesh system/units for example are google home WiFi or BT home WiFi discs

store.google.com/product/google_wifi

BT Whole Home Wi-Fi, Pack of 3 Discs, Mesh Wi-Fi for seamless, speedy (AC2533) connection, Wi-Fi everywhere in medium to large homes, App for complete control and 2 year warranty

amazon.co.uk/dp/B01NBMMVG7/

Other brands and these are available at various different places so if interested search for a good deal.

Ask yourself do you get full WiFi strength (I mean full strength WiFi signal) though your whole house and garden? When you get less signal you lose speed, mesh helps you retain much more of the speed and ensure you get full signal everywhere which can be achieved using the right number of units for the space required.

With your BT issue it maybe better to change supplier or renegotiate your deal and add new router as part of it.
Edited by: "deleted1471098" 6th Jul 2019
I love my Powerlines. I have actually gone to switching WiFi off and connecting everything via ethernet around the house. Really only put WiFi on now if my gf brings her laptop. That's rock solid stability.
deleted1447778
Felicitous06/07/2019 11:01

sounds fun but what is a mesh unit? and if part of my contract includes a …sounds fun but what is a mesh unit? and if part of my contract includes a hub to connect to the internet why do i have to buy equipment myself for it to work?tried contacting them, one member of staff offered equipment replacement, it never came, enquired about it and was told they wont replace broken equipment - reset plenty of timeswont replace because it says there is a connection on their end...

I would contact them again, because theres something wrong, you might try the following if you haven't already, turn off Smart Setup, separate the 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands, disable DHCP and use static ip's.
deleted147109806/07/2019 11:15

You don’t have to buy equipment, it just works much better than the cheap s …You don’t have to buy equipment, it just works much better than the cheap stuff ISP’s such as BT/Virgin etc give away which is only basic and has poor range.A mesh system/units for example are google home WiFi or BT home WiFi discs store.google.com/product/google_wifiBT Whole Home Wi-Fi, Pack of 3 Discs, Mesh Wi-Fi for seamless, speedy (AC2533) connection, Wi-Fi everywhere in medium to large homes, App for complete control and 2 year warranty amazon.co.uk/dp/B01NBMMVG7/Other brands and these are available at various different places so if interested search for a good deal.Ask yourself do you get full WiFi strength (I mean full strength WiFi signal) though your whole house and garden? When you get less signal you lose speed, mesh helps you retain much more of the speed and ensure you get full signal everywhere which can be achieved using the right number of units for the space required.With your BT issue it maybe better to change supplier or renegotiate your deal and add new router as part of it.

most phones dont have a stable connection in the same room as the router, spending hundreds on equipment isn't an option though

deleted144777806/07/2019 11:33

I would contact them again, because theres something wrong, you might try …I would contact them again, because theres something wrong, you might try the following if you haven't already, turn off Smart Setup, separate the 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands, disable DHCP and use static ip's.

honestly not sure how to do any of those

the 2.4 & 5 part could be relevant to what's breaking, only a very old phone can connect to the wifi everything else just disconnects every 5 seconds, I am thinking the issue is the 5ghz signal, as nothing more recent is stable
Edited by: "Felicitous" 6th Jul 2019
deleted1447778
Felicitous06/07/2019 11:37

most phones dont have a stable connection in the same room as the router, …most phones dont have a stable connection in the same room as the router, spending hundreds on equipment isn't an option thoughhonestly not sure how to do any of thosethe 2.4 & 5 part could be relevant to what's breaking, only a very old phone can connect to the wifi everything else just disconnects every 5 seconds, I am thinking the issue is the 5ghz signal, as nothing more recent is stable

On the Hub6 you go to, Home > Advanced Settings > Wireless > Separate Bands, then click save.

Your then have two WiFi networks you can connect to
deleted144777806/07/2019 11:56

On the Hub6 you go to, Home > Advanced Settings > Wireless > Separate …On the Hub6 you go to, Home > Advanced Settings > Wireless > Separate Bands, then click save.Your then have two WiFi networks you can connect to

I will have to try this, can you tell me how to get to home? it has been a long time honestly
deleted1447778
Felicitous06/07/2019 12:01

I will have to try this, can you tell me how to get to home? it has been a …I will have to try this, can you tell me how to get to home? it has been a long time honestly

Click below

deleted144777806/07/2019 12:03

Click belowhttps://192.168.1.254

thanks for the life of me I couldn't remember that number, feels like i haven't done it since highschool, the ending used to be much smaller
deleted1471098
Felicitous06/07/2019 11:37

most phones dont have a stable connection in the same room as the router, …most phones dont have a stable connection in the same room as the router, spending hundreds on equipment isn't an option thoughhonestly not sure how to do any of thosethe 2.4 & 5 part could be relevant to what's breaking, only a very old phone can connect to the wifi everything else just disconnects every 5 seconds, I am thinking the issue is the 5ghz signal, as nothing more recent is stable

You either have old phones or there is a problem with the equipment, you should be able to connect in the same room even with the cheap modem/router they provide.
deleted147109806/07/2019 12:59

You either have old phones or there is a problem with the equipment, you …You either have old phones or there is a problem with the equipment, you should be able to connect in the same room even with the cheap modem/router they provide.

weirdly older phones are the only ones that do connect.

deleted144777806/07/2019 11:56

On the Hub6 you go to, Home > Advanced Settings > Wireless > Separate …On the Hub6 you go to, Home > Advanced Settings > Wireless > Separate Bands, then click save.Your then have two WiFi networks you can connect to

tried this, 2.4 band is stronger signal but still drops every few seconds, it isn't usable at all
deleted1447778
Felicitous06/07/2019 13:04

weirdly older phones are the only ones that do connect.tried this, 2.4 …weirdly older phones are the only ones that do connect.tried this, 2.4 band is stronger signal but still drops every few seconds, it isn't usable at all

Even if 5GHz is weaker it's probably faster, the other advantage is there's hardly anyone using it or they're not close enough, as 5GHz doesn't travel as far.

I definitely think there is something wrong with your router, the Hub6 has superb wifi performance.

I wouldn't put up with it, your paying for it after all
try:1. disabling WiFi Beamforming
or
2: change your wifi channel
hth

Felicitous06/07/2019 13:04

weirdly older phones are the only ones that do connect.tried this, 2.4 …weirdly older phones are the only ones that do connect.tried this, 2.4 band is stronger signal but still drops every few seconds, it isn't usable at all

deleted144777806/07/2019 13:19

Even if 5GHz is weaker it's probably faster, the other advantage is …Even if 5GHz is weaker it's probably faster, the other advantage is there's hardly anyone using it or they're not close enough, as 5GHz doesn't travel as far.I definitely think there is something wrong with your router, the Hub6 has superb wifi performance.I wouldn't put up with it, your paying for it after all

nevemind both are broken
mtsk05/07/2019 16:04

Tenda MW3 mesh system will sort you out for a fraction of BT or Google

Tenda Nova MW3 Whole Home Mesh WiFi System Pack of 3 amazon.co.uk/dp/…74W

This?
claire751916/07/2019 12:13

Tenda Nova MW3 Whole Home Mesh WiFi System Pack of 3 …Tenda Nova MW3 Whole Home Mesh WiFi System Pack of 3 https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07D9CC637/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_HeBlDbRK1B74WThis?

yup.
bare in mind (as far as I understand) it will not go above 100mbit due to limitation on the LAN cable so if you have faster broadband than this it may not be suitable. There is however MW6 on offer at the mo for 20quid extra amazon.co.uk/Ten…1-3

this will support 1gbit speeds, still cheaper than any other mesh systems. I have MW3 and it covers my house allowing me to stream, play etc without any issues
Edited by: "mtsk" 16th Jul 2019
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants