Virgin media internet speeds

Posted 18th Oct
I started a discussion on here not long ago about my virgin media internet connection speed

I'm on the M200 and I never go over 100mbps

last night on my PS4 I couldn't seem to get better than 40mbps via ethernet cable and via WiFi

now I've contacted VM and to be honest they have been pretty useless. router got reset ect
speeds still the same

I'm within my 14 day cancellation period
Do I cancel or do I just stick with them anyway as I'm not going to get any better anywhere else as VM are single line on super fast fibre broadband and I believe the others sky,now broadband,BT ect all share a line

correct me if I'm wrong. so do I stick or do I up and leave?
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

34 Comments
Virgin are stupidly hit and miss. Apparently you can’t take what the PS4 speed test for what it says.
Think we’re on the 200 and we sometimes get 220-250 and now I got 90 just yesterday we got 28-59
DanSpaghetti18/10/2019 08:52

Virgin are stupidly hit and miss. Apparently you can’t take what the PS4 s …Virgin are stupidly hit and miss. Apparently you can’t take what the PS4 speed test for what it says. Think we’re on the 200 and we sometimes get 220-250 and now I got 90 just yesterday we got 28-59

Oh ok. My ping was 222 last night
Use it to get a discount on a better mb package
You cant measure your maximum speeds on a Ps4. That will all depend on server loads
Cancel. I done the same.

They’re absolute crap in my opinion I was promised like 270 speed and was getting 30-50 maximum.

Do you know there answer? “You’re on WiFi sir”?? I was like we’re in 2019. How many of us connect with Ethernet.

Cancelled that shiz off.
Don’t fall for their 5 quid off or “download the app to see your dark spots” none of that crap works.
Also on VM200, my ps4 speed fluctuates between 50 - 150. It's always been the case with the PS4 network. While my speed on the PC peaks 220-230. This on ethernet on both.
Edited by: "Frankie77" 18th Oct
3ak18/10/2019 09:28

Don’t fall for their 5 quid off or “download the app to see your dark spo …Don’t fall for their 5 quid off or “download the app to see your dark spots” none of that crap works.

I did the download the app and every room was perfect. No dark spots. I have tested speed with my TV via ethernet cable and that is 80mb max. Usually though it's under 50mb

I tested my 4k firestick via ethernet and WiFi and again it's never above 80. Why am I paying for 200mb when I'm not getting anywhere near it

It pees me off
3ak18/10/2019 09:28

Cancel. I done the same. They’re absolute crap in my opinion I was p …Cancel. I done the same. They’re absolute crap in my opinion I was promised like 270 speed and was getting 30-50 maximum. Do you know there answer? “You’re on WiFi sir”?? I was like we’re in 2019. How many of us connect with Ethernet. Cancelled that shiz off.

Who you end up going with for your broadband?
efc_4ever18/10/2019 09:31

I did the download the app and every room was perfect. No dark spots. I …I did the download the app and every room was perfect. No dark spots. I have tested speed with my TV via ethernet cable and that is 80mb max. Usually though it's under 50mbI tested my 4k firestick via ethernet and WiFi and again it's never above 80. Why am I paying for 200mb when I'm not getting anywhere near itIt pees me off

Ah yours seems a bit better than mine. Even having extender I was dropping to 20mbbsp in my room upstairs.

It’s your choice just keep in mind many of them don’t even offer 200+ atm depending on your area.

BT are doing under 100 in my area, so is sky, EE etc.
Edited by: "3ak" 18th Oct
A problem I had initially, was my ethernet cable from my PS4 was laying on top of my VM fibre optic cables. Every time I turned on my PS4, my broadband speed dropped. Once I separated them so they weren't touching, my speed doubled and back up to the normal speed (200-220mb on PC and 150-160mb on PS4).
I’d love to cancel but still in contract another few months. If they are not giving you crap speed they are messing your bills up. Get rid of them while you can
could be over utilized lines at peak times.

when i was with virgin i would get 100mb during the day or late at night but peak times i was lucky to get 10-20mb.

cancelled after months of them promising the area was getting an upgrade.
efc_4ever18/10/2019 09:32

Who you end up going with for your broadband?

BT. £2 more expensive but consistency of the internet and the uptime is far better.

We were with them before we moved to Virgin.

So it was pretty much a reverse gear.
Well if getting what you paid for is important to you then leave but as you suggest the others can't better the speed.

Personally my past experience with Virgin put me off, They were often down and unreliable.

I'd rather have a stable 50mb than an unstable 100mb that's often down etc.. Nothing requires more than around 15mb really so speed isn't everything. Although you can download things a little quicker etc.. but the sacrifice for reliability is worth it for me.
.MUFC.18/10/2019 11:11

Well if getting what you paid for is important to you then leave but as …Well if getting what you paid for is important to you then leave but as you suggest the others can't better the speed.Personally my past experience with Virgin put me off, They were often down and unreliable. I'd rather have a stable 50mb than an unstable 100mb that's often down etc.. Nothing requires more than around 15mb really so speed isn't everything. Although you can download things a little quicker etc.. but the sacrifice for reliability is worth it for me.

Very good point good luck on Sunday. About time they get beat
Edited by: "efc_4ever" 18th Oct
efc_4ever18/10/2019 11:14

Very good point good luck on Sunday. About time they get beat

If beating LFC is the only thing we do this season then I'd be very happy considering! However realistically we're most certainly going to get hammered!

This United side is far too young and when Hansen said you can't win anything with kids, It's because he was partially right. The class of 92 is hardly likely to be repeated
.MUFC.18/10/2019 11:19

If beating LFC is the only thing we do this season then I'd be very happy …If beating LFC is the only thing we do this season then I'd be very happy considering! However realistically we're most certainly going to get hammered!This United side is far too young and when Hansen said you can't win anything with kids, It's because he was partially right. The class of 92 is hardly likely to be repeated

Very true. Even we hammered you 4 nil last season. I'm actually looking forward to playing utd this season again but you never no in the prem. Anybody can win on the day and lpool don't have the best record at old Trafford
efc_4ever18/10/2019 11:26

Very true. Even we hammered you 4 nil last season. I'm actually looking …Very true. Even we hammered you 4 nil last season. I'm actually looking forward to playing utd this season again but you never no in the prem. Anybody can win on the day and lpool don't have the best record at old Trafford

We were better last season, We've been striped back to our roots and it's a long long process. I think the LFC result won't matter too much because obviously they're miles ahead atm but then we've got Norwich and if we fail to win that one then I can see Ole getting the sack. We'd probably be in the drop zone fighting a relegation battle which should not be happening.
Can’t you cancel your broadband contract for free if they’re not giving you the speed that you’re meant to get
krazysaj18/10/2019 11:36

Can’t you cancel your broadband contract for free if they’re not giving you …Can’t you cancel your broadband contract for free if they’re not giving you the speed that you’re meant to get

When you’re actually in a contract yes, if they aren’t able to fix the problem they usually allow you to come without cancellation fees. However, keep in mind that is a pain in the butt engineers coming , constantly on the phone etc.

If you’re in the 14 day cooling off period, simply head over to cancellation department and get this thing chopped off.
3ak18/10/2019 11:51

When you’re actually in a contract yes, if they aren’t able to fix the pro …When you’re actually in a contract yes, if they aren’t able to fix the problem they usually allow you to come without cancellation fees. However, keep in mind that is a pain in the butt engineers coming , constantly on the phone etc. If you’re in the 14 day cooling off period, simply head over to cancellation department and get this thing chopped off.

Im within the 14 day. Just not sure much better out there
efc_4ever18/10/2019 09:31

I did the download the app and every room was perfect. No dark spots. I …I did the download the app and every room was perfect. No dark spots. I have tested speed with my TV via ethernet cable and that is 80mb max. Usually though it's under 50mbI tested my 4k firestick via ethernet and WiFi and again it's never above 80. Why am I paying for 200mb when I'm not getting anywhere near itIt pees me off

Have you considered trying a different router, the stock router is useless. I put mine in modem only mode and connected google WiFi at various points and get much higher speeds. I get 385mb over WiFi in the first few rooms and 300mb plus in others. I’m happy with that. Am on 350mb package.
cmdr_elito18/10/2019 13:16

Have you considered trying a different router, the stock router is …Have you considered trying a different router, the stock router is useless. I put mine in modem only mode and connected google WiFi at various points and get much higher speeds. I get 385mb over WiFi in the first few rooms and 300mb plus in others. I’m happy with that. Am on 350mb package.

That's a good idea. What router are you using?
efc_4ever18/10/2019 13:35

From his post I'm guessing Google Wi-Fi, I also use this and it's brilliant.
efc_4ever18/10/2019 13:35

I’m using google WiFi as I said in my post, you could borrow a router off a friend to just test it rather than buying something.

There are some deals around on google home WiFi but it maybe cheaper to get the bt WiFi discs or some of the other cheaper brands
Gormond18/10/2019 13:46

From his post I'm guessing Google Wi-Fi, I also use this and it's …From his post I'm guessing Google Wi-Fi, I also use this and it's brilliant.

Sorry I don't even know what it is

I thought he meant he used Google via WiFi around the house to get the speeds he mentioned

I shall Google the Google WiFi router now then
efc_4ever18/10/2019 13:47

Sorry I don't even know what it is I thought he meant he used Google …Sorry I don't even know what it is I thought he meant he used Google via WiFi around the house to get the speeds he mentioned I shall Google the Google WiFi router now then

You will still need to use the virgin router as a modem, it has a setting called modem only mode which turns off the WiFi part of it and you plug the first google WiFi unit into the Ethernet port. You’ll probably need two google WiFi units for a house. There are some cheaper options such as tenda but these are typically not as easy to set up unlike google which is really easy.
Edited by: "cmdr_elito" 18th Oct
efc_4ever18/10/2019 13:47

Sorry I don't even know what it is I thought he meant he used Google …Sorry I don't even know what it is I thought he meant he used Google via WiFi around the house to get the speeds he mentioned I shall Google the Google WiFi router now then

A new version is also coming out soon called Nest Wi-Fi that claims to be twice as fast, it is however much more expensive (£129 each).

You can buy Google Wi-Fi for £69 per device - argos.co.uk/pro…497
cmdr_elito18/10/2019 13:51

You will still need to use the virgin router as a modem, it has a setting …You will still need to use the virgin router as a modem, it has a setting called modem only mode which turns off the WiFi part of it and you plug the first google WiFi unit into the Ethernet port. You’ll probably need two google WiFi units for a house. There are some cheaper options such as tenda but these are typically not as easy to set up unlike google which is really easy.

Oh I see. Quite expensive though aren't they? Showing as £148.95 for a pair on Amazon

They do look better than the VM router
efc_4ever18/10/2019 13:53

Oh I see. Quite expensive though aren't they? Showing as £148.95 for a …Oh I see. Quite expensive though aren't they? Showing as £148.95 for a pair on AmazonThey do look better than the VM router

£69 each unit at Argos for google home WiFi which I have.

Tenda you can get a set of 3 for less at currys currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing-accessories/networking/whole-home-wi-fi-systems/tenda-nova-mw3-whole-home-wifi-system-triple-pack-10184407-pdt.html

I’ve not used these before but others on here have spoken highly of these.
Edited by: "cmdr_elito" 18th Oct
efc_4ever18/10/2019 13:53

Oh I see. Quite expensive though aren't they? Showing as £148.95 for a …Oh I see. Quite expensive though aren't they? Showing as £148.95 for a pair on AmazonThey do look better than the VM router

You can easily try one first and just add to it as required.
cmdr_elito18/10/2019 13:55

£69 each unit at Argos for google home WiFi which I have.Tenda you can get …£69 each unit at Argos for google home WiFi which I have.Tenda you can get a set of 3 for less at currys currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing-accessories/networking/whole-home-wi-fi-systems/tenda-nova-mw3-whole-home-wifi-system-triple-pack-10184407-pdt.htmlI’ve not used these before but others on here have spoken highly of these.

They are a very good price. I'll have a read about them now. Thanks
PS4 speedtest isnt accurate, you can visit fast.com on your PS4 browser for a more accurate speed
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants