virgin media multi room set up

Found 18th Apr 2016
hey guys

just wanted to ask how people have set up multi room virgin media boxes in different rooms? im about to move house and trying to gte my entertainment stuff sorted. the house already has virgin media so I'd just have to transfer my account, unless getting my OH to sign up gets us a better deal.

how much do VM engineers help with various installations? how have people got their various boxes set up? is it just trailing wires under carpets all over the house? or have you gone down the powerline route? ive got a NVidia shield, and some now tv boxes plus the virgin TiVo box. the TiVo box needs Ethernet connection but I'd also like the other boxes to run through Ethernet as its a big house and wifi may not reach to all the rooms where I want different boxes to be set up.

just looking for what things people have currently set up to give me an idea of what can and can't be done.

thanks
Community Updates
14 Comments
Moved to new house 7 weeks ago, took virgin media with us

we have one box in the lounge and one in the bedroom.

Virgin box is outside on the wall of the house,. as usual, then one wire comes into the front room and along the skirting board, tacked on by the engineer and into the lounge.

The one upstairs comes in through the front bedroom, along skirting and through the wall into the bedroom at the back, again tacked on by the engineer.

They will put the boxes/cables anywhere you want them to
took Ethernet cables from the router up to the attic and dropped them down in a couple of locations where we would rather hard wire than use wifi. Worked well and looks neat, but I think you's need to do that yourself. Make sure the wifi hub is in the centre of the house, sounds obvious but for some reason we got ours set up in a corner of the house so need a wifi extender at the far end which is not ideal.
benjammin316

Moved to new house 7 weeks ago, took virgin media with uswe have one box … Moved to new house 7 weeks ago, took virgin media with uswe have one box in the lounge and one in the bedroom.Virgin box is outside on the wall of the house,. as usual, then one wire comes into the front room and along the skirting board, tacked on by the engineer and into the lounge. The one upstairs comes in through the front bedroom, along skirting and through the wall into the bedroom at the back, again tacked on by the engineer.They will put the boxes/cables anywhere you want them to

Was it a neat job? Current house has one box but will probably end up getting more boxes for this house. The issue is I don't know how many so would like additional functionality by having the option of having connection in certain rooms even though in the end I might change my mind. I think I'll speak to the engineer when he comes and see if will sort something out for me.
ibblackberry1

took Ethernet cables from the router up to the attic and dropped them … took Ethernet cables from the router up to the attic and dropped them down in a couple of locations where we would rather hard wire than use wifi. Worked well and looks neat, but I think you's need to do that yourself. Make sure the wifi hub is in the centre of the house, sounds obvious but for some reason we got ours set up in a corner of the house so need a wifi extender at the far end which is not ideal.

Don't think I'll be doing anything like that myself, I'd probably break something X)

I'll probably end up buying power line adapters with ethernet ports to give me wired connection.
EN1GMA

Was it a neat job? Current house has one box but will probably end up … Was it a neat job? Current house has one box but will probably end up getting more boxes for this house. The issue is I don't know how many so would like additional functionality by having the option of having connection in certain rooms even though in the end I might change my mind. I think I'll speak to the engineer when he comes and see if will sort something out for me.

Yeah it's neat. Like anything you forget its there after a short while. The cabling runs behind sofas and beds upstairs so you cannot see it anyway.

benjammin316

Yeah it's neat. Like anything you forget its there after a short while. … Yeah it's neat. Like anything you forget its there after a short while. The cabling runs behind sofas and beds upstairs so you cannot see it anyway.

thanks for your help and iblackberry1
It's just coax cable with f-type connectors. You can run it any way you want.
kester76

It's just coax cable with f-type connectors. You can run it any way you … It's just coax cable with f-type connectors. You can run it any way you want.

Yeah, but I like things as neat as possible, especially with young kids who might be tempted to pull some wires.
EN1GMA

Yeah, but I like things as neat as possible, especially with young kids … Yeah, but I like things as neat as possible, especially with young kids who might be tempted to pull some wires.

Do you have TV sockets in your rooms ? If so you can splice into them to get a virgin connection to the room, all you need to do is remove the faceplate and all the connections are in the attic.
kester76

Something like this should … Something like this should work.http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-Way-CATV-Satellite-F-Type-F-Splitter-for-Virgin-Media-Cable-TV-and-Internet-/201438293020

Hi kester76, link not showing anything. Expired.
We went down a slightly different route.

For TV, I used HDMI splitters. This distributes the HDMI output to 3 TVs. You can then use the Virgin Media app on your phone to change the channel in the other room. We all have to watch the same but we do anyway and if not we can watch local media or netflix etc.

For internet I ran an ethernet cable up to the loft and dropped it into the spare room - from there it goes to a wireless router and a variety of other wired devices.
EN1GMA

Hi kester76, link not showing anything. Expired.

ebay.co.uk/sch…t=0
kester76

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=4+virgin+media+splitter&_sacat=0

excellent!!! I'd still need to pay virgin for a extra box mind X)

i'll see if the engineer is prepared to put different boxes in for me and different rooms. he did for someone I know as my mate didn't know where exactly he wanted the tv to go. but your link gives another option.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants