Virgin Media - new contract price hike

Posted 24th Oct
Great work by Virgin, they’ve just changed the contract structure for bundles that don’t include TV. Now it’s an 18 month contract with first 12 months at reduced price and final 6 at full price.

Won’t be doing that, been waiting years for them in my area and when they finally do, they increase the overall contract price by £354 on the M300.
Community Updates

Groups

17 Comments
That’s been their pricing for a long time with new customers. You have to look at the average price and then decide if it’s a good deal for you. If a new customer it’s possible to go through TopCashback/Quidco for an additional cash back amount and factor this into the overall costs to see what you effectively get for your money.

Irrespective of supplier “fast” broadband costs are rising, with only very slow connections on offer for good prices/
cmdr_elito24/10/2019 05:53

That’s been their pricing for a long time with new customers. You have to l …That’s been their pricing for a long time with new customers. You have to look at the average price and then decide if it’s a good deal for you. If a new customer it’s possible to go through TopCashback/Quidco for an additional cash back amount and factor this into the overall costs to see what you effectively get for your money. Irrespective of supplier “fast” broadband costs are rising, with only very slow connections on offer for good prices/

Yesterday it was showing as a 12 month contract. Now it’s showing as 18 months, also you say that gas broadband prices are rising but BT just cut theirs yesterday by approximately 11%
We've just left Virgin due to the constant price increases. Switched to Vodafone 4G broadband as we have a mast very close by, getting 100mbps average speed which is plenty for us and saving £12 per month.
I've never had Virgin. but i heard the speed is good. Altough they dont reach my post code, i decided to go with Vodafone with the SuperFast 2 deal which suits me just fine, download speeds are over 50mb/s always, so good enouf for me.
Neil_David24/10/2019 06:07

Yesterday it was showing as a 12 month contract. Now it’s showing as 18 m …Yesterday it was showing as a 12 month contract. Now it’s showing as 18 months, also you say that gas broadband prices are rising but BT just cut theirs yesterday by approximately 11%

BT isn’t fast though unless you get FTTP. I get 385mb on my virgin 350mb package and that is fast. BT can do 76mb which I had through virgin probably about 7 or 8 years ago. I could probably get a 50mb package which would equate to around 70mb for less than BT charge for the same service.
Edited by: "cmdr_elito" 24th Oct
cmdr_elito24/10/2019 07:10

BT isn’t fast though unless you get FTTP. I get 385mb on my virgin 350mb p …BT isn’t fast though unless you get FTTP. I get 385mb on my virgin 350mb package and that is fast. BT can do 76mb which I had through virgin probably about 7 or 8 years ago. I could probably get a 50mb package which would equate to around 70mb for less than BT charge for the same service.

BT are offering the Ultrafast Fibre 2 (FTTP / G.Fast) download 300Mbps and 48Mbps upload for £49 a month for 24 months and £9.99 set up fee.

Virgin is £43.99 a month for 12 months then £59.99 for the remaining six months of the contract plus £35 set up fee.

I wouldn’t call that slow to be honest
Neil_David24/10/2019 07:14

BT are offering the Ultrafast Fibre 2 (FTTP / G.Fast) download 300Mbps and …BT are offering the Ultrafast Fibre 2 (FTTP / G.Fast) download 300Mbps and 48Mbps upload for £49 a month for 24 months and £9.99 set up fee. Virgin is £43.99 a month for 12 months then £59.99 for the remaining six months of the contract plus £35 set up fee. I wouldn’t call that slow to be honest

That’s not available everywhere and I’m paying £42 for mine with no phone line following the recent price increase so it’s still cheaper for me :-)

Appreciate that may not be the case in your area. I would suggest waiting a few months to see when deals come up as they normally come up after Christmas if you can.
cmdr_elito24/10/2019 07:21

That’s not available everywhere and I’m paying £42 for mine with no phone l …That’s not available everywhere and I’m paying £42 for mine with no phone line following the recent price increase so it’s still cheaper for me :-)Appreciate that may not be the case in your area. I would suggest waiting a few months to see when deals come up as they normally come up after Christmas if you can.

Oh and virgin are increasing to 500mb soon, it’s currently available as part of their big bundle but not on its own. That’s likely to happen early next year probably as a free increase.
cmdr_elito24/10/2019 07:21

That’s not available everywhere and I’m paying £42 for mine with no phone l …That’s not available everywhere and I’m paying £42 for mine with no phone line following the recent price increase so it’s still cheaper for me :-)Appreciate that may not be the case in your area. I would suggest waiting a few months to see when deals come up as they normally come up after Christmas if you can.

That’s the conundrum. It seems that the price is different depending what browser size use and is the 18 month contract showing on my iPhone correct or the 12 month showing on my Android tablet. I’d happily pay 12 months at £43 but not 18 months at a mix of £43 and £59.

Will Black Friday deals be at 12 month or 18 month.
38742897-QyldJ.jpg
38742897-0AgEa.jpg
Neil_David24/10/2019 07:26

That’s the conundrum. It seems that the price is different depending what b …That’s the conundrum. It seems that the price is different depending what browser size use and is the 18 month contract showing on my iPhone correct or the 12 month showing on my Android tablet. I’d happily pay 12 months at £43 but not 18 months at a mix of £43 and £59.Will Black Friday deals be at 12 month or 18 month.[Image] [Image]

I’ve not noticed virgin doing Black Friday deals but lower prices usually lock you into longer contracts. However you can escape if they raise prices though as they tend to do every 12 months
H
Yes great
cmdr_elito24/10/2019 07:29

I’ve not noticed virgin doing Black Friday deals but lower prices usually l …I’ve not noticed virgin doing Black Friday deals but lower prices usually lock you into longer contracts. However you can escape if they raise prices though as they tend to do every 12 months

Agreed, don’t have a problem with long contracts as long as it’s a stable service. As you say, price increase incontract can be managed but overly excessive tie in costs such as being suggested in the 18 month screen shot are a no go for me.
wish companies would start honouring people that stay loyal to them
Neil_David24/10/2019 07:33

Agreed, don’t have a problem with long contracts as long as it’s a stable s …Agreed, don’t have a problem with long contracts as long as it’s a stable service. As you say, price increase incontract can be managed but overly excessive tie in costs such as being suggested in the 18 month screen shot are a no go for me.

BT are normally 18 months too unless existing customer. Virgin is usually the same.
Neil_David24/10/2019 07:26

That’s the conundrum. It seems that the price is different depending what b …That’s the conundrum. It seems that the price is different depending what browser size use and is the 18 month contract showing on my iPhone correct or the 12 month showing on my Android tablet

Genius marketing!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants