Virgin Media ''Our prices are going up from 1st March 2022.'' - Possibly get out of your contract free (or a better deal) + Offers in thread

Posted 19th Jan 2022

Morning folks, i hope you're well.

Just a heads up, had an email from Virgin Media stating their prices are going up (price may flucuate from contract to contract) but mine *was* going up by £8.50 a month!

I managed to get through to cancellations and got a much better deal, along with faster broadband. Personally never take their first offer, usually they will offer a better deal second time around and/or then put you through to someone else who 'has the power' to give deeper discounts.

Email below, including freephone contact number.

Dear Mr xx

,We know a price rise is never welcome, but it’s essential we continue investing in our technology. To help us carry on this work, the price of your package will go up by £8.50 a month from 1st March.

If you want to, you can change or cancel your package at any time before 15/02/2022, without paying any cancellation fees. Visit virginmedia.com/pricechange1 to find out more.

Kind regards,

The Virgin Media Team

The link above then gives you this blurb

''Nobody welcomes a price rise, but it’s essential we continue investing in our technology. Last year we improved our network capabilities and worked hard to prevent faults , so you could enjoy a better experience with us.

Your price increase is outlined in the letter or email we sent you.

If you want to, you can change or cancel your package at any time before the date stated on your email or letter, without paying any cancellation fees.

Simply call us on 0800 052 2001.''

Few offers below:

Virgin Media Ultrafast 213mb Fibre Broadband M200 £28 pm / 18m (+ £75 Amazon voucher & £42 cashback) via Quidco - Total £504

Virgin Media Ultrafast M500 Fibre Broadband only £36per month for 18 months + £49 cashback + £75 Amazon voucher (New Customers) via Quidco

Virgin Media Ultrafast 516mb Fibre Broadband £36 per month for 18 months + £49 cashback + £75 Amazon voucher (New Customers) via Quidco

Virgin Media Ultrafast 362mb Fibre Broadband M350 £32 pm / 18m (+ £75 Amazon voucher & £45 cashback) via Quidco - Total £576

43” LG TV or £200 bill credit with select bundles+£155 CB Via TCB E.G Bigger bundle+Movies £62 PM for 18 months

Also

Sky 145Mb Ultrafast FTTP Broadband £32pm + £100 Giftcard Possibly £64 cashback via Quidco 18m Contract £576

6 Months Free on 12+ month contracts - E.G 150Mb Broadband - Free for 6 months then £24 a month for 6 months (Select locations) at G.Network

Vodafone superfast 100mb broadband, £23 pm for 24 month + £37 cashback + £100 voucher via Quidco - New Customers

Virgin Media Ultrafast 516mb Fibre Broadband £36 per month for 18 months + £49 cashback + £75 Amazon voucher (New Customers) via Quidco

Vodafone Superfast 100 - 100Mbps Fibre Broadband, £23pm + £100 Gift card (24 Month - £552) via Giftcloud

Three 5G Unlimited Broadband - £21 per month (24 month / £504 total)

Hopefully this helps you

Thanks

Dan
Community Updates
New Comment

188 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Bingohomer
    My contract was up next month, served them with 30 days notice and simply had the wife sign up as a new customer, was paying £100 for Ultimate Oomph, will now be paying £89 per month for Ultimate Volt, with a £200 bill credit and hopefully £131.75 Topcashback, which has tracked.

VM will try and tell you that you cannot do this, or that you have to wait a fixed period before doing so, don't listen to them it's absolute nonsense. I must admit thanks goes to BFULLER1 on the Virginmedia community forum for taking them to task and verifying with their in-house legal counsel - more details for those interested on this thread on the VM community forum - community.virginmedia.com/t5/…e/2
    PonJaul76
    Agent4719/01/2022 09:24

I have not received my email yet about the price increase. Just wish …I have not received my email yet about the price increase. Just wish Cityfibre would hurry up and install in my street. According to their website it says Full Fibre is Coming. Glad to see VM losing their superfast broadband monopoly. I wont be phoning up to haggle as I dont want to be put on a new 18month contract.

I wouldn't hold any hopes on it being quick. They're digging up every street in my city before flicking the switch. Cable's been in our road for a year and no closer to being able to use City Fibre
    Pinksparkles1973
    SuperCoolFunHappyGuy19/01/2022 15:26

What number did you call?

150 off my house phone
    Just went straight to the "if you're thinking of leaving us" option
    MANicho
    Al_9019/01/2022 12:09

I’m paying £23.50 for 100mb at the moment so I’ll give them a call and try …I’m paying £23.50 for 100mb at the moment so I’ll give them a call and try and get something similar

I'm paying £54 per month (out of contract) for 100mb, it's disgusting, can't wait for a decent alternative in my area. My 100mb broadband was around £30 per month out of contract like 5 years ago. Virgin are relentless with price rises every opitunity they get.
    flubbergup
    I don't believe it matters, read that thread to the VM community forums that is linked above. The contract is linked to the person not the address so even if you're married and sign up in your partner's name, legally, it is considered a new contract.

VM will try to say otherwise but it's all bluster, BS and aimed at creating FUD with their customers. (edited)
    Bingohomer
    ventoo21/01/2022 09:27

Just out of interest-as virgin do credit check,what did you put as your …Just out of interest-as virgin do credit check,what did you put as your wife previous address? They can detect that property has VM, so I assume you put that "she's moving in"?

Said the install address was her current address, there are always going to be situations where people split up, people sadly pass away, siblings might be house sharing and one moves out etc which could be legitimate reasons for someone with same surname to take out a new account with VM.

Also great thread on VM community where BFULLER1 confirms they have taken this up with VM in-house legal team and they confirmed they have no policy/legal basis to block this approach (other than usual credit checks etc) community.virginmedia.com/t5/…546
    login.name
    nabeel623519/01/2022 13:08

I've not recieved anything yet, but I hope I do. Can't wait to be done …I've not recieved anything yet, but I hope I do. Can't wait to be done with this terrible company!

I'd call them up. You might be in the same boat as others where you've not been contacted.
    AstalaVista
    flubbergup20/01/2022 21:15

Quick question if anyone can answer - my partner is on Tesco, which piggy …Quick question if anyone can answer - my partner is on Tesco, which piggy backs on the O2 network. Am guessing that the VOLT deal to enhance your internet speed for free won't apply?

Unfortunately not, it is O2 only!
    immortan4jo
    daveo7821/01/2022 10:17

If I sign up in the next week or so as a new customer will I immediately …If I sign up in the next week or so as a new customer will I immediately get hit with this price rise on top of the "just agreed" package?

Nope, just got off the phone with Virgin and was told that the price increase won't impact my contract since I renewed it last November
    ZainDeen
    giboning15/02/2022 15:10

I would have accepted £20 for 200mb with Volt. With Volt offer you get …I would have accepted £20 for 200mb with Volt. With Volt offer you get 100mb for £18, that includes doubling your speed. My current contract ends in 5 months, paying £23.95 for 200mb with Volt. I received the letter last week, if they offer me 200mb for £20 i'll accept it.

theres a deal on this site offering 100mb for £18 so when i link the o2 volt to the new account it'll be 200mb for £18, can also get 350mb for £22 through volt too which i might take instead, the wifi pods + free double data on the sim is also a bonus (edited)
    speedfire66
    Just got 1Gbps for the same price as my 500Mbs connection. Man I love Virgin internet
    karlypants
    I thought that if you were in contract you wouldn't get an increase or have I just made that up? (edited)
    Agent47
    I have not received my email yet about the price increase. Just wish Cityfibre would hurry up and install in my street. According to their website it says Full Fibre is Coming. Glad to see VM losing their superfast broadband monopoly. I wont be phoning up to haggle as I dont want to be put on a new 18month contract.
    Filed
    Some info on the best i could do... May help some.

I've been with Virgin for 6 months (new customer since a home move) and was on £32pm for M200. The raise was going to be £3.25. I never recieved any information on this raise (post or email) and had to call myself.

I got as far as them asking if I want them to cancel the contract, and best I could get is either £27pm for M100, or £33pm for M200.

The retention's team (level 2 reps) number is: 0800 952 2277 - this is much quicker than calling their standard number (straight line to the team, may have a short hold period).

I went for the M100 (108mbps - 111mbps) for £27pm. 18 month new contract.

Me and the misses work from home, so no distruption was a factor.

Considering the next best I could get was £20pm for 56mbps, I'm relatively happy, but very disappointed in the customer service.

Edit:
    Just received the price increase letter and rang up to check the end date of the new contract. The person on the phone reverted my account upgrade back to M200 for M100 pricing (£27pm). Pretty happy with that. Shame it look a while and a bit of luck to get what I was after. (edited)
    kamakazi
    kamakazi24/01/2022 12:34

Did that require work to get there? Best I got is 350 for 31

Squeezed 500 for £25. That will do me
    Liquidsky
    heathenmagic19/01/2022 09:16

Does anybody know who is as reliable for broadband compared to Virgin? …Does anybody know who is as reliable for broadband compared to Virgin? Thinking of switching come March. I work from home mainly, and having spoke to some friends about the companies they use, seems perhaps you get what you pay for. For example EE approached me with a cheap broadband offer, but must be cheap for a reason I suspect? Have to admit Virgin is nigh perfect for connection reliability, if anything does happen rarely its usually fixed quickly. Thanks in advance.

I have been with EE for many years and can only have good things to say about them personally.
    logindetails
    MANicho19/01/2022 12:32

I'm paying £54 per month (out of contract) for 100mb, it's disgusting, …I'm paying £54 per month (out of contract) for 100mb, it's disgusting, can't wait for a decent alternative in my area. My 100mb broadband was around £30 per month out of contract like 5 years ago. Virgin are relentless with price rises every opitunity they get.

It's your fault that you're paying £54 now you're out of contract. Do you really expect any company to freely give away discounts that will eat into their profits. They need a reason to offer you a discount and that's usually you threatening to leave the nest. If you don't call them you'll be paying £54 + any price rises that come along indefinitely.

Call them. You'll initially get through to a level 1 rep - tell them that you are considering leaving if they cannot reduce your bill to £25 for 100MB broadband. The level 1 rep won't be able to do this but will try to get you to accept some form of package - stick to you guns - £25 for 100MB broadband.

The level 1 rep will put you through to a level 2 rep (retentions). The level 2 reps have access to much better deals than level 1 reps but their hands are still tied by what the system will allow them to put through at the time. The L2 rep will offer you various packages - they'll know that you have been paying £54 for some time so they're likely to offer you better packages for around the same cost. REFUSE AND KEEP SAYING 100MB for £25, they'll get the message and start to offer packages more in line with what you're willing to pay.

L2 reps can offer higher discounts on packages (BB+TV+phone) than they can for a single service so expect offers like £34 for 100MB BB only or £35 for 100MB BB + basic TV and phone. They also have access to about 25 personal discounts/month but you will only ever get one of these if they have any left, the system will allow them to add (deduct) it and most importantly they like you - so be pleasant to them.

The best time to call them is a month before your current contract ends. (edited)
    kamakazi
    TC!20/01/2022 16:18

I just tried, I'm on same package as you ultimate oomph but just 1 extra …I just tried, I'm on same package as you ultimate oomph but just 1 extra tv box, £89 and going up to £139 from 10th February.First I got an automated message offering me £8.50 off for the next 6 months but I waited to speak to someone. I got offered the full volt and the price would be £95 a month. I asked about going up to 1130 and was told the price would be £105.Mentioned I'd been offered £8.50 off and that I'd heard of people getting better offers. No dice, I pushed to go ahead and cancel and she was going to do it, so I chicken ed out and said to leave it for now.Did you speak to someone in the UK or abroad and what sort of time of the day did you call?

U should proceed with cancellation and wait for the retentions to call you back. Worse case you have 14 days to say no and take the offer they gave you
    ash7612
    Had a call earlier from retentions. Offered me £29 for 200mb and anytime calls which is the cheapest I have ever had it. I was paying £41 for this previously.

Happy with that!
    ThugBasher
    Thanks for posting this Dan, currently with VM and I was waiting for this bomb to drop. I shall be speaking to CS this week
    heathenmagic
    Does anybody know who is as reliable for broadband compared to Virgin? Thinking of switching come March. I work from home mainly, and having spoke to some friends about the companies they use, seems perhaps you get what you pay for. For example EE approached me with a cheap broadband offer, but must be cheap for a reason I suspect? Have to admit Virgin is nigh perfect for connection reliability, if anything does happen rarely its usually fixed quickly. Thanks in advance.
    Whoohoo
    Slightly late post with all the others that have been posting about this the last few weeks?
    h.s

Does anybody know who is as reliable for broadband compared to Virgin? …Does anybody know who is as reliable for broadband compared to Virgin? Thinking of switching come March. I work from home mainly, and having spoke to some friends about the companies they use, seems perhaps you get what you pay for. For example EE approached me with a cheap broadband offer, but must be cheap for a reason I suspect? Have to admit Virgin is nigh perfect for connection reliability, if anything does happen rarely its usually fixed quickly. Thanks in advance.

get a new router or mesh system, all your connectivity issues will be resolved
    tek-monkey

I'm paying £54 per month (out of contract) for 100mb, it's disgusting, …I'm paying £54 per month (out of contract) for 100mb, it's disgusting, can't wait for a decent alternative in my area. My 100mb broadband was around £30 per month out of contract like 5 years ago. Virgin are relentless with price rises every opitunity they get.

Cancel and open a new account in a family members name?
    speedfire66
    tek-monkey19/01/2022 12:55

First guy offered £4 off for 6 months then pay the £4 for the remaining 8. …First guy offered £4 off for 6 months then pay the £4 for the remaining 8. Total cost £32. Handed to retentions who said best they could do was £3 more for the whole contract, so £42. Why bother putting me through if it's a worse deal?Neither had I, they insisted they'd told me when I called but have no record when I asked when.

I’ll give them a call later on this then lol
    ialikhan1965

Why Don't you ring through to retentions and ask for a better deal.
    Nothing to lose more to gain.
    bengalknights
    Anyone managed to get anything where they only have the gig1 package?
    s.flood

Everyone apart from virgin uses openreach’s network so bt,sky,ee etc are all the same line, virgin are the fastest but the customer service isn’t the best, if you’re happy with virgin just try and get a better deal.
    There is other companies that are starting to provide fibre to the property so will be able to offer speeds like virgin, just depends where you live in the country
    frodo
    I have just been able to get the M200 package for £33 quoting the ofcom rule that they must offer the best price which includes new customer prices!
    Tay
    speedfire6619/01/2022 13:52

Just got 1Gbps for the same price as my 500Mbs connection. Man I love …Just got 1Gbps for the same price as my 500Mbs connection. Man I love Virgin internet

Alas, I spent 45mins on the phone, the IVR system would have given me the price increase reduction straight away, without even speaking to anybody, But Vodafone offered me faster and a 4g dongle. I was on the m500 service and VM wouldn’t budge. So I cancelled and went to Vodafone.
    VM will now probably offer me a much better deal in a week or two as the line actually terminates but it’ll be too late again.

This is the 3rd or 4th time they have done it and left it too late but offered me a far better deal, guess they don’t want the business. Unlike them, when I agree to a contract I’ll stick to it.

The last time they told me to cancel with sky as I had 15 days to change my mind and cancel.

When they show some loyalty so will I.

So for me, haggling this time didn’t work (edited)
    Bingohomer
    kevinc19/01/2022 13:03

If I leave VM how long do I have to leave it until signing up again? Or if …If I leave VM how long do I have to leave it until signing up again? Or if I leave and my wife then signs up?

I have just done the exact same, cancelled myself with contract end 17th Feb, signed up in wife’s name as new customer and being connected on 18th Feb via self installation option. VM staff will try to imply you cannot do it but you absolutely can.
    TRIGGER47
    The letter VM sent is a bit silly, as your price will not increase until your fixed price ends, normally when your contact ends, than why give people the option to leave for free? It makes no business sense at all.

mas12320/01/2022 17:28

How much for? I'm currently on 500.

For new customers I have seen M500 for £36 via Quidco... However I had it for £40 and for that I get 1gig now with VOLT (edited)
    Bingohomer
    kamakazi21/01/2022 07:40

I am about to do the same. Did you use the same surname for your wife

Yes we have the same surname.
    kamakazi
    Bingohomer21/01/2022 07:47

I left a day between the two, so serve notice today apply online tomorrow, …I left a day between the two, so serve notice today apply online tomorrow, not sure if it makes a difference just how I did it.

Thanks I cancelled yesterday so will do it over the weekend. Will be interesting to see who the new service takes over.

did the secondary retention team ever call you back
    stuartbaker80
    Gollywood20/01/2022 12:48

100mb / Unlimited LL45 min call.Best they could do was reduce from …100mb / Unlimited LL45 min call.Best they could do was reduce from £30/month to £22 if I downgrade my package. And then it still goes up to £25 in August!Useless

Push them harder, I got offered £22 for M200 for 18 months.
    flubbergup
    stuartbaker8021/01/2022 09:48

Push them harder, I got offered £22 for M200 for 18 months.

I would settle for that... is that broadband only though?
    We currently have M100 + basic TV + weekend calls for £27/pm, reduced from £60 with so-called "promotional" reductions. Would settle for keeping the price the same and a boost to M200 but will see what they come up with from their offer cupboard...

Currently waiting for a response from their Customer Relations messaging team on WhatsApp. 2nd level of contact after passing through the first tier last night.
    stuartbaker80
    flubbergup21/01/2022 10:02

I would settle for that... is that broadband only though?We currently have …I would settle for that... is that broadband only though?We currently have M100 + basic TV + weekend calls for £27/pm, reduced from £60 with so-called "promotional" reductions. Would settle for keeping the price the same and a boost to M200 but will see what they come up with from their offer cupboard... Currently waiting for a response from their Customer Relations messaging team on WhatsApp. 2nd level of contact after passing through the first tier last night.

It's broadband and phone, weekend calls free. Not that I ever use the landline!
    flubbergup
    Thanks - so adding TV would probably take it up to what we are currently paying, i.e. £27 so that offers me some hope that just getting a boost to our internet speed and keeping the price the same is doable as a price for staying with them... let's see.
    tek-monkey
    heathenmagic04/02/2022 12:17

Oh cool. Maybe I could try that. I do work from home but nothing intensive …Oh cool. Maybe I could try that. I do work from home but nothing intensive broadband wise, knowing my luck I won't get a text and be left in limbo haha. I saw the retentions line in the thread reckon thats the one I should try for cancellation.

I just called the normnal number, said I was thinking of leaving. They offered a small discount for 6 months, I said no. They offered an even smaller one, I said no. I then heard nothing, I rang them myself after 2 weeks and got the Indian call center, best they could offer was a £20 increase! Obviously said no...

Then yesterday I got a text, dialled that number, got the Swansea (I think) call center who are specific to getting cancellations back. She said £36 for 350mb bb only but then got it down to £23 if I had TV and phone! Obviously I jumped at that

ThankyouSue04/02/2022 12:20

I cancelled my contract 3 weeks ago, was paying £86 Ultimate bundle, so I …I cancelled my contract 3 weeks ago, was paying £86 Ultimate bundle, so I called them a few times but they didn’t offer any good deals. Still hoping and waiting for them to contact me as I don’t want to leave.

I had do not contact me in my preferences! Before I changed that (thanks to another user here) I had nothing either. (edited)
's avatar
Discussions
Top Merchants