Expired

Virgin Media phone socket issue

Found 11th Mar 2014
We had VM installed recently, quite a premium package at a cost of well over a grand for the year.
Additionally, we paid £150 for installation.

At the time, the guy said they plug into BT's equipment just outside the property and ALL sockets will work as normal.
We tested the main one and a secondary one, but later we discovered that the one upstairs doesn't work. It used to with BT and we assumed that because 2 out of 2 of the ones we checked worked, that the rest would too.
I realise we should've tested all at the time, but things were manic that day and I overlooked it.

Anyway, tried to resolve with VM and they are saying it would cost £99 to send an engineer out. Can I fight this charge and get it done for free? We already paid for installation and we haven't been given what we were promised. I would like to know what people's experience is on getting an engineer out and having the fee waived - is it something that can be done if we kick up a fuss? What dept should I speak to, how should I go about it?
thanks in advance!
Community Updates
8 Comments
Get cordless phones
How recently is recently? Are you within the cancelling period?

Ring back, explain you had VM installed, and say the engineer did not test the upstairs socket before he left and you have found that it doesn't work.
If they say they'll have to charge £99, tell them you already paid £150 for the installation and the engineer did not do his job properly.

VM engineers arent the best, they should have made sure all was working before they left, not just one or two.

If you get nowhere, go through to cancellations. Which is also known as the English department. Explain to them you're not getting the service you paid/are paying for, leave a gap and wait for them to respond, if they don't add that because of that you wish to cancel, with no fee because they are not and are not willing to provide the service you are paying for, without trying to con you out of more money.
You should get someone understanding who will sort it out for you. The amount of times I end up going through to the cancellations department is unbelievable but, as soon as I speak to someone English, it gets sorted out :).
Thanks - it was about 6 weeks ago. I know we should've raised it earlier, but we were all out of the country at various times and have just got round to testing the phone and getting in touch.
Our engineer was really good and a top bloke and overall I was happy with the work he did.
I went through saynoto0870 as couldn't find the free customer services number on their site (and 150 isn't working), was transferred to an UK based person after connecting to what was probably the switchboard at their head office!
I'll definitely try again, perhaps in writing or through the website. Really don't think they can justify the charge but need someone on their side to agree!
If VM don't play ball, how are you at DIY? Have you had a bit of a look at where the wiring goes into the junction box yourself? Is it easy to get into the box? Could be a quick and easy fix if its just a loose wire or something in there.
I've rewired my VM box to reroute where the broadband line goes into the house when we were moving the router from downstairs to upstairs. Granted it was not linked to BT boxes but phone lines only have 4 wires connected (I think) and TBH Argos sell DIY extension kits, which really amounts to the same thing, and they are designed for home users to connect themselves...

You may need a krone tool if there is a loose wire but you can get cheap plastic ones that'll do the job for pennies and its cheaper than a VM engineer.
Cheers. I reckon we could probably do it ourselves reasonably easily. Would they not moan that we're fiddling with their equipment without authority? The junction box is easy to get to and the guy who rewired our phone sockets a long time ago is coming round this weekend to fix the fence anyway. Might get him to work his magic.
DennisG

Cheers. I reckon we could probably do it ourselves reasonably easily. … Cheers. I reckon we could probably do it ourselves reasonably easily. Would they not moan that we're fiddling with their equipment without authority? The junction box is easy to get to and the guy who rewired our phone sockets a long time ago is coming round this weekend to fix the fence anyway. Might get him to work his magic.

What they don't know won't annoy them....

If you do get it sorted it'll only be how it should have been when the engineer left anyway.
Edited by: "markystarky" 11th Mar 2014
where did they tap in to BT from ?
and what area u in ?
Nw London. the junction box is on the front wall of the house.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants