Virgin Media Retention Deal

Found 25th Jun 2016
I have tried dealing with Virgin Media retentions department as I feel that I am paying too much for the package that I have. Over the past year my bill has risen from £85 to £98. Iam no longer in contract and they recently removed a loyalty discount that I had.

When I spoke to retentions all they could offer me was a £4 discount if I reduced my broadband to 100mg and reduced my phone to talk weekends. I feel that this is a poor discount for a downgrading of services. I then told them to start my 30 day cancellation notice. I know that I will get a call back at some point (hopefully) but wondered what I could realistically expect to be offered. I'm prepared to downgrade the landline as I rarely use it.

My package is as follows:

XL TV - no movies or Sky Sports
Phone XL
Broadband 200mbps
Caller display
2 Tivo boxes
2 V+ boxes
Community Updates
22 Comments
For the landline you can pay 12 months rental upfront. This works out cheaper. Also consider removing caller display.

Do you really need 200mbps?

I have 50mbps and find this is adequate for my needs.

Also are you using all 4 boxes?
We use all 4 boxes. Not sure about the broadband. Family of 4 using streaming, online gaming, etc.
I also wouldnt give up caller display. I like to know who is calling and allows me to block numbers on my phone.
Iv just looked on my upgrade offers insane iv got 60+ channels if I want 70+ channels is a 31pound increace added to my 43 50 all comes to 74.00
That's m 70 meg and ex phone
Edited by: "darrenallsopp" 25th Jun 2016
Give them your 30 day notice and wait for outbound retentions to call back. The 'retentions' team you speak to when you call usually aren't able to offer generous enough discounts as outbound retentions
Thanks - I have given them my 30 day notice but would like to know how far to push them so to speak.
Just keep the broadband and pirate everything you want to watch, and with the money you'll save you will have enough to buy a server to stream it all.
WonkyDoctor

Just keep the broadband and pirate everything you want to watch, and with … Just keep the broadband and pirate everything you want to watch, and with the money you'll save you will have enough to buy a server to stream it all.

Not really my style but thanks for the advice.
holy cow thats a massive expenditure!!!!
FTOdude170

holy cow thats a massive expenditure!!!!

I know - that's why I need to bring it down!!
i feel for you, i only have internet only- circa £25 ish...but im tight. your house must be awesome from a tv and tech point of view, but if you're not going to start losing boxes and downgrading the service you might be held to within £10 or so of your current price. your loyalty should be reinstated though...
FTOdude170

i feel for you, i only have internet only- circa £25 ish...but im tight. … i feel for you, i only have internet only- circa £25 ish...but im tight. your house must be awesome from a tv and tech point of view, but if you're not going to start losing boxes and downgrading the service you might be held to within £10 or so of your current price. your loyalty should be reinstated though...

Lol - we don't go out much but like our telly and we have 2 tech addicted kids.
£98 isn't that much, my Sky bill is around £120 each month depending on whether or not the kids have rented any movies (when they've asked, not on their own - I'm not quite that stupid)
Cakeboy79

£98 isn't that much, my Sky bill is around £120 each month depending on w … £98 isn't that much, my Sky bill is around £120 each month depending on whether or not the kids have rented any movies (when they've asked, not on their own - I'm not quite that stupid)

Maybe not to you but to me it is!! It has been gradually creeping up over the past few years. I was originally £78 and they keep puttingthe prices up!
It'll be coming down, it's too much for me to stomach really, but I'm watching all the cricket at the moment. Once the football season starts I can cancel Sky Sports and that makes it a bit more palatable.
I've handed my cancellation in few days ago,I'm currently on 50mb bb and phone for retention deal £18.50 month but going up to £27 so cancelled, awaiting call. I cancelled last year and they offered me my current deal, I asked if they could do better,2 mins later while on hold they gave me £50 credit as well, don't accept first offer.
tomdavidrichards

I've handed my cancellation in few days ago,I'm currently on 50mb bb and … I've handed my cancellation in few days ago,I'm currently on 50mb bb and phone for retention deal £18.50 month but going up to £27 so cancelled, awaiting call. I cancelled last year and they offered me my current deal, I asked if they could do better,2 mins later while on hold they gave me £50 credit as well, don't accept first offer.

Thanks - good advice!
I have 200mb BB, TVXL with no sport or movies and basic phone.
I'm currently paying £35 for first 12mths on an 18th mth contract as a retention deal after threatening to cancel.
Last 6 mths I know it will go back up to £70 but I'll stomach it as I know I'll be able to haggle another good retention deal afterwards again.
Thats an amazing deal. Fingers crossed they offer me something similar. I know it will be more than that as I have 4 boxes though.
j9mcl

Thats an amazing deal. Fingers crossed they offer me something similar. I … Thats an amazing deal. Fingers crossed they offer me something similar. I know it will be more than that as I have 4 boxes though.

Lose the other boxes. As you don't have movies or sport I bet most of the TV watched on the other boxes is FTA tv....I used to have multiple boxes....don't miss them after a month or so.

.Buy a NowTV/Roku box for each kids room and either get an entertainment pack for £6.99 (11 premium Sky channels Plus 250+ box sets and all catch up channels (BBC/ITV/CH4/5OD) or just install the FilmonTV plugin for free TV streaming.
http://blog.artesea.co.uk/2016/01/tvplayer-on-roku-or-now-tv.html.
you can use the one single NowTV sub on up to four devices. If your kids have games consoles or PC's in their rooms they can use the NowTV app instead of buying a NowTV box if preferred.

Companies like Virgin and sky rely on people using the multiroom as it's convenient but if you really want to save money there are other much cheaper option.
Edited by: "Uridium" 26th Jun 2016
Thanks - will look into this.
Got the call today. They offered me everything that I have for £80 per month or if I drop my broadband down 1o 100mbps it would be £72.99. I told them that I would think it over and to call be back tomorrow.
j9mcl

Got the call today. They offered me everything that I have for £80 per … Got the call today. They offered me everything that I have for £80 per month or if I drop my broadband down 1o 100mbps it would be £72.99. I told them that I would think it over and to call be back tomorrow.

They just rang me I asked for same deal again and they said OK £18.50 plus £50 credit and I pushed them to 100 mb bb instead of 50mb.

You can get better than that,wait for them to ring back again
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants