Virgin Media retentions misinformation

Found 18th AprEdited by:"Uranus"
While attempting to serve notice a couple of times recently, VM retentions tried to underline how only they can offer the best broadband.
Got told on two recent calls that I should upgrade to at least 200mb broadband because of the amount of downloading I have done.
Apparently, I will struggle to continue downloading because my current 100mb line can't handle much more this month.

Anyone know why these people are allowed to talk such nonsense?

Has anyone else had any misinformation from VM?
Community Updates
Misc
11 Comments
Retention staff aren't Networking/IT professionals. You should contact complaints and explain what they have done then OFCOM. I doubt Virgin Media are training their staff to say that and the operators don't know the difference between bandwidth and download limits.
catbeans32 m ago

Retention staff aren't Networking/IT professionals. You should contact …Retention staff aren't Networking/IT professionals. You should contact complaints and explain what they have done then OFCOM. I doubt Virgin Media are training their staff to say that and the operators don't know the difference between bandwidth and download limits.

What they said isn’t right, What they are trying to say is that the lower packages are traffic managed in line with a fair usage policy, if your close to the usage limit where that would trigger traffic management you will find your speeds slowed during peak times which may impact your use of the internet.
cmdr_elito2 h, 21 m ago

What they said isn’t right, What they are trying to say is that the lower p …What they said isn’t right, What they are trying to say is that the lower packages are traffic managed in line with a fair usage policy, if your close to the usage limit where that would trigger traffic management you will find your speeds slowed during peak times which may impact your use of the internet.

VM do throttle, so they are correct?
I had the same with a bt agent who couldnt understand how I wasnt as terrified of going from 50mb to 38mb fibre. Just downloads or streams a few milliseconds slower which on fibre speeds usually arent noticeable anyway.
catbeans9 h, 24 m ago

VM do throttle, so they are correct?

Most ISP’s throttle at peak times based on usage. VM don’t on their top package, which is what I have and worth paying a bit extra for IMHO, additionally you get a better up speed too.

In terms of being worthwhile it depends on what your activities are at peak times, how many devices your using etc and wether the throttling will impact you, if you just watching Netflix on a device during peak times and reading email/surfing you won’t notice much difference, if you have a house full of gamers, who stream and watch videos during peak times it would have an impact.
cmdr_elito8 h, 30 m ago

Most ISP’s throttle at peak times based on usage. VM don’t on their top pac …Most ISP’s throttle at peak times based on usage. VM don’t on their top package, which is what I have and worth paying a bit extra for IMHO, additionally you get a better up speed too.In terms of being worthwhile it depends on what your activities are at peak times, how many devices your using etc and wether the throttling will impact you, if you just watching Netflix on a device during peak times and reading email/surfing you won’t notice much difference, if you have a house full of gamers, who stream and watch videos during peak times it would have an impact.

According to VM, they throttle everyone but only upload speeds (its not exactly clear but I think thats what it is saying)

my.virginmedia.com/tra…tml
chocci4 h, 24 m ago

According to VM, they throttle everyone but only upload speeds (its not …According to VM, they throttle everyone but only upload speeds (its not exactly clear but I think thats what it is saying)https://my.virginmedia.com/traffic-management/traffic-management-policy-30Mb-or-higher.html

No they don’t throttle vivid 300 (which is now 350mb) which is clearly shown on your link as not being affected, since it’s not listed.
cmdr_elito1 m ago

No they don’t throttle vivid 300 (which is now 350mb) which is clearly s …No they don’t throttle vivid 300 (which is now 350mb) which is clearly shown on your link as not being affected, since it’s not listed.

Regardless, they only throttle uploads so not really a problem for most people
chocci12 m ago

Regardless, they only throttle uploads so not really a problem for most …Regardless, they only throttle uploads so not really a problem for most people

Except a certain amount of upload is required to enable downloads, so by restricting upload speeds you are in effect limiting download speeds at peak times.
Edited by: "cmdr_elito" 19th Apr
cmdr_elito4 m ago

Except a certain amount of upload is required to enable downloads, so by …Except a certain amount of upload is required to enable downloads, so by restricting upload speeds you are in effect limiting download speeds at peak times.

You don't need to upload to newsgroups
I’m moving house end of next month and called them to cancel my broadband because where I’m moving to doesn’t have Virgin. I asked them to cancel at the end of the billing month. They said they didn’t know what day that was.. I couldn’t understand how they didn’t know. I was just trying to avoid having to pay for an few extra days at the end of the month that’s all.. On top of that, despite me telling them my new house was out of their catchment area they tried to sign my friends and family up.. They just wouldn’t take no for an answer. To top it off the bloke was breathing so heavily down the phone I only got half of what was said. Overall it was a frustrating process for such a simple task
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants