Virgin Media Router

Hi.. i need some help if possible..

I just bought a new router, i am having issues with my wifi around the house. what i want to do is turn my virgin super hub 3.0 into a modem but also still use the ethernet ports and then use the nighthawk as my main wifi router is this possible?

i have used power lines and they keep dropping out. just fed up of poor connections.

i have the router in my room which is downstairs, but the signal does not reach the kitchen which is about 2/3 meters away, but works in adjacent to the room. i will still be keeping the nighthawk in the bedroom just wondering if the wifi will still be strong enough to do the house.

34 Comments

Not sure what a nighthawk is but I'm guessing a router? I plug my Apple Airport Time Capsule in and use that as my router, then turn off broadcasting from the virgin router, no problems

I have a superhub 2 and I just adjusted the speed on the 2g which gives it more signal strength works a treat for bedrooms which use for only watching online. For gaming I just have ethernet powerlines.

Yes just need to turn the router into modem mode but kitchens all have dead spots as most items in kitchen kill wireless signal
Edited by: "bigack" 7th Feb

you can't us the Ethernet ports on the superhub 3 if you are using it as a modem only 1 Ethernet port is active and that is the one that connects the SH3 to your other router. First you will need to put the SH3 into modem mode (all instructions are on the VM Hub settings page which is usually 192.168.0.1 if it isn't it will tell you underneath the SH3, along with username and password. Then your main and only active router will be the one you have connected into the SH3. you could also try using 5ghz wifi on the areas of the house it doesn't reach i.e I couldn't get signal upstairs but I changed it to 5ghz from 2ghz and it worked. Hope this helps

Original Poster

Nighthawk r7000, what i don't really want is 2 wifi signals.. just want the nighthawk as my primary router

What I have done is just plugged my Asus router in one of the ports and left it like that. I can either use Asus wifi or VM wifi they will not clash of u set the channels as auto and reboot them every month or so.

or

if u log in to 192.168.0.1 you can set up your router from there and also choose modem only mode from the menu bit once you set it as modem only mode you will loose wifi so connecting via pc via ethernet is essential.

sorry about formatting I'm using my mobile

oh and if you set router to modem only mode only ethernet port 1 will be active not the other 3

Mikeygolfgt

What I have done is just plugged my Asus router in one of the ports and … What I have done is just plugged my Asus router in one of the ports and left it like that. I can either use Asus wifi or VM wifi they will not clash of u set the channels as auto and reboot them every month or so.or if u log in to 192.168.0.1 you can set up your router from there and also choose modem only mode from the menu bit once you set it as modem only mode you will loose wifi so connecting via pc via ethernet is essential.sorry about formatting I'm using my mobile

How can you use VM Wi-Fi alongside the Asus router Wi-Fi? if you have an Asus router plugged into the SH then your SH will be in modem mode therefore not giving out a Wi-Fi signal?

Original Poster

how do i increase 2g or 5g?

i have in my room; ethernet connection: virgin media tivo, kodi box, EE signal improver for phones and ethernet to tp-link power line.
wifi: 2x apple MacBooks, iPad, iPhone, smart tv, xbox 1s windows tablet.

rest of the house;

on wifi: 2 iPads, 2 iPhones, lenovo tablet, samsung tablet.
tp-link powerline: lg 4k tv, virgin media tivo, ps4

any suggestions.

M12345

how do i increase 2g or 5g? i have in my room; ethernet connection: … how do i increase 2g or 5g? i have in my room; ethernet connection: virgin media tivo, kodi box, EE signal improver for phones and ethernet to tp-link power line.wifi: 2x apple MacBooks, iPad, iPhone, smart tv, xbox 1s windows tablet.rest of the house;on wifi: 2 iPads, 2 iPhones, lenovo tablet, samsung tablet. tp-link powerline: lg 4k tv, virgin media tivo, ps4any suggestions.

When you go to connect to your home network there will be 2 options you will have your router name twice and 1 will have 2g and 1 will have 5g next to it

MonkeyMan90

How can you use VM Wi-Fi alongside the Asus router Wi-Fi? if you have an … How can you use VM Wi-Fi alongside the Asus router Wi-Fi? if you have an Asus router plugged into the SH then your SH will be in modem mode therefore not giving out a Wi-Fi signal?

​The Asus router has a setting that if the dsl line is down it will use any of the ports as a backup Internet (yes I know I have cable Internet but I bought this router when I was with EE dsl)
So at the other end of my house I have wired up an ethernet from the VM router to Asus router which are around 30 feet apart

it works that's all I can say. works very good and as long as I have the passwords saved in the WiFi settings on devices they will connect to the strongest signal.

Original Poster

MonkeyMan90

When you go to connect to your home network there will be 2 options you … When you go to connect to your home network there will be 2 options you will have your router name twice and 1 will have 2g and 1 will have 5g next to it

On my router i only have 1 option. and 1 password.

and you don't have to put your VM router into modem mode to use another wifi router just take the connection off the ether port from the VM router preferably port 1 as I've herd that's the only port that supports gigabit

M12345

On my router i only have 1 option. and 1 password.

You only get the choice of 2ghz or 5 ghz if you use the SH unless your router is dual band, also make sure 5ghz is enabled when you go to advance settings at 192.168.0.1
Edited by: "MonkeyMan90" 7th Feb

MonkeyMan90

You only get the choice of 2ghz or 5 ghz if you use the SH unless your … You only get the choice of 2ghz or 5 ghz if you use the SH unless your router is dual band, also make sure 5ghz is enabled when you go to advance settings at 192.168.0.1

On the SH you get a choice of both bands and you can use them simultaneously ​

Original Poster

MonkeyMan90

You only get the choice of 2ghz or 5 ghz if you use the SH unless your … You only get the choice of 2ghz or 5 ghz if you use the SH unless your router is dual band

Your Hub 3.0 status

Wireless(On (2.4 and 5GHz), WPS Enabled)
Internet(Online)

no options to change between channels?

M12345

Your Hub 3.0 statusWireless(On (2.4 and 5GHz), WPS … Your Hub 3.0 statusWireless(On (2.4 and 5GHz), WPS Enabled)Internet(Online)no options to change between channels?

You don't need to change channels mate. Go to one of your devices connected to the Wi-Fi for example your laptop if you open available networks your network should be listed twice in that list one been 2ghz and the other been 5ghz

Mikeygolfgt

On the SH you get a choice of both bands and you can use them … On the SH you get a choice of both bands and you can use them simultaneously ​

Go to the wireless option and change channel from auto to a number.

Original Poster

Wireless frequency 2.4GHz
Enable 2.4 GHz Disable 2.4 GHz
Wireless mode
802.11b/g/n mixed
Channel
Manual Auto
Channel 1
Channel width
20 MHz
Wireless frequency 5GHz
Enable 5 GHz Disable 5 GHz
Wireless mode
802.11a/n/ac mixed
Channel
Manual Auto
Channel 36
Channel width
20/40 MHz

i.imgsafe.org/a4d…png pic included

Why do you want to change the channel?

M12345

Wireless frequency 2.4GHz Enable 2.4 GHz Disable 2.4 GHzWireless … Wireless frequency 2.4GHz Enable 2.4 GHz Disable 2.4 GHzWireless mode 802.11b/g/n mixedChannel Manual AutoChannel 1Channel width 20 MHzWireless frequency 5GHz Enable 5 GHz Disable 5 GHzWireless mode 802.11a/n/ac mixedChannel Manual AutoChannel 36Channel width 20/40 MHzhttps://i.imgsafe.org/a4dfe8cb0f.png pic included

You don't need to be in all that as Dual band is already active you need to go to a wireless device like I said above and reconnect your device to the Wi-Fi. When the device searches for networks it will pick 2 of your network up for example YOURNAMENETWORK 2.4Ghz and YOURNAMENETWORK 5Ghz all you need to do is connect to the 5ghz option

I don't know what OP is up to but it looks like he doesn't have a monkeys

Mikeygolfgt

LOL

Original Poster

MonkeyMan90

You don't need to be in all that as Dual band is already active you need … You don't need to be in all that as Dual band is already active you need to go to a wireless device like I said above and reconnect your device to the Wi-Fi. When the device searches for networks it will pick 2 of your network up for example YOURNAMENETWORK 2.4Ghz and YOURNAMENETWORK 5Ghz all you need to do is connect to the 5ghz option

i.imgsafe.org/a4f…png

only one option?

Sorry I refuse to help as you've got an iPhone...only joking. The best people to speak to are VM maybe ur router isn't broadcasting 5g because it's broken...Yeah it happens

M12345

https://i.imgsafe.org/a4f80a3354.pngonly one option?

Ok notice at the bottom that there is 2 networks the same but one says 2g one says 5g that's how yours should be. Try disabling 2.4Ghz and see if that helps

Original Poster

appreciate the support but still no 2/5g

would you guys suggest me turning it into a modem and use the router i bought?
or any other ideas?

M12345

appreciate the support but still no 2/5gwould you guys suggest me turning … appreciate the support but still no 2/5gwould you guys suggest me turning it into a modem and use the router i bought?or any other ideas?

The more access points in the same physical area, the more interference, the worse they'll all perform.

So yes, put the SuperHub in modem mode and just use the router you bought. You'll only be able to use the first port on the SH, which is where you connect your new router to. You'll have two SSIDs on the Nighthawk, I don't think you can get around that.

You are connecting the Netgear to the SH using a network cable, right? Just checking...

Original Poster

sergiup

The more access points in the same physical area, the more interference, … The more access points in the same physical area, the more interference, the worse they'll all perform. So yes, put the SuperHub in modem mode and just use the router you bought. You'll only be able to use the first port on the SH, which is where you connect your new router to. You'll have two SSIDs on the Nighthawk, I don't think you can get around that. You are connecting the Netgear to the SH using a network cable, right? Just checking...

yes will be using ethernet. worth still keeping my tp-link power lines with built-in wifi or sack them off as well... hopefully the wifi connection on the new router can handle the whole house.

Mikeygolfgt

possibly but at least he admits it by asking the question rather than trying to answer it.

Mikeygolfgt

Why do you want to change the channel?

how about because other people using the same channel can cause issues if they are too near ?

if you change channel to 13 then it would only be used by someone else if they have set it manually. routers don't use 13 to use otherwise.

stop making this complicated. I'm doing the same thing with my routers. In the VM router setting turn off the wireless 2.4ghz and 5ghz band wi-fi. This will keep the ethernet ports open for use! When adding the new router in since it's VM you have do decide if you want an access point or a router. the difference can be seen here ( speedguide.net/faq…146 ) - Personally I use my secondary router as an access point because I do a lot of SFTP transfers internationally. It takes longer to set up and I wouldn't recommend it if you don't need it. if you don't want an access point plug in the secondary router and use as normal because the WiFi from the VM router was already disabled.
Good Luck!!

jonnithomas

how about because other people using the same channel can cause issues if … how about because other people using the same channel can cause issues if they are too near ?if you change channel to 13 then it would only be used by someone else if they have set it manually. routers don't use 13 to use otherwise.

​VM routers and possibly others use the less congested channel when they boot up hence the auto option

zain1

stop making this complicated. I'm doing the same thing with my routers. … stop making this complicated. I'm doing the same thing with my routers. In the VM router setting turn off the wireless 2.4ghz and 5ghz band wi-fi. This will keep the ethernet ports open for use! When adding the new router in since it's VM you have do decide if you want an access point or a router. the difference can be seen here ( http://www.speedguide.net/faq/what-is-the-difference-between-an-access-point-146 ) - Personally I use my secondary router as an access point because I do a lot of SFTP transfers internationally. It takes longer to set up and I wouldn't recommend it if you don't need it. if you don't want an access point plug in the secondary router and use as normal because the WiFi from the VM router was already disabled. Good Luck!!

​You've just complicated things even more. like I said just plug the nighthawk into port 1 of VM and setup nighthawk job done. easy as pork pie.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Ripped off by GearBest, VERY ANGRY!1719
    2. Iptv1228
    3. Music download79
    4. FedEx sent me a Duty & Tax Invoice - Advice needed67

See more discussions