Found 18th Feb 2010
Just got a letter from Virgin telling me about a new ISP security package that they have started FREE to download for all L, XL & XXL customers, It includes Firewall, Anti-Virus, AD Blocker, Privacy Manager, ID Theft Protection & Anti-Spyware, Does anyone know if its any good or aload of old crap??

11 Comments

Depends.

Without sounding like a b it of a downer, but Ive always felt that this bloatware that the ISPS try to scare you into installing usually does the trick in stopping viruses - mainly cos it slows your PC down to a stupid extent where you dont even want to go online anymore.

Get yourself ESET Anti-Virus and Malwarebytes, and run MBAM once a week.

Thats enough security.

Banned

run what hippyharry says, but install Microsoft security essentials for live protection

Download it and give it a try, you can always get rid of it later.

hippyharry;7883744

Depends. Without sounding like a b it of a downer, but Ive always felt … Depends. Without sounding like a b it of a downer, but Ive always felt that this bloatware that the ISPS try to scare you into installing usually does the trick in stopping viruses - mainly cos it slows your PC down to a stupid extent where you dont even want to go online anymore.Get yourself ESET Anti-Virus and Malwarebytes, and run MBAM once a week.Thats enough security.

how long is the ESET trial for?

Any good deals about on NOD32? My dad is in the market for a new anti-virus since AVG free failed him recently. Was thinking Kaspersky but I remember reading good things about NOD32.

Banned

jubbyme;7884462

run what hippyharry says, but install Microsoft security essentials for … run what hippyharry says, but install Microsoft security essentials for live protection

Do NOT follow the advice above. Never run two AV products at the same time!

csiman;7886111

Do NOT follow the advice above. Never run two AV products at the same … Do NOT follow the advice above. Never run two AV products at the same time!

Correct.

Eset runs like a dream for me. Its especially effective for netbooks where only 1gb ram and an Atom processor is at work, it doesnt hog any resources.

I know from experience if ive hit a website thats trying to download something in the background, it just flashes up its caught it and removed it, then fades away again.

Microsoft say however that Anti-Virus isnt needed if you just use their live essential pack, and Windows Defender, which in case, they have a point.

Its your own choice really. Like poster above said, try it, if you dont like it, dont buy it.

Banned

csiman;7886111

Do NOT follow the advice above. Never run two AV products at the same … Do NOT follow the advice above. Never run two AV products at the same time!

I missed the bit where he said eset antivirus, so I didnt mean to run 2

so if you dont use eset, and use microsoft security essentials (which is free and not like the old windows defender!) then the other utilities mentioned were good ones

so i can only have this for 30 days? unless i wanna buy?....

see, everytime (within the last week) ive tried to run a scan my laptop has crashed about halfway through and gives me the good old windows blue screen (im on vista)

i tried MBAM yesterday and that did the same, the past scans iv been trying have been the Avast

Banned

DMERC;7888180

so i can only have this for 30 days? unless i wanna buy?.... see, … so i can only have this for 30 days? unless i wanna buy?.... see, everytime (within the last week) ive tried to run a scan my laptop has crashed about halfway through and gives me the good old windows blue screen (im on vista)i tried MBAM yesterday and that did the same, the past scans iv been trying have been the Avast

At least Microsoft security essentials is proper free!

if you are blue screening on a scan, with more than one product, it sounds like reinstall time im afraid.

jubbyme;7888494

At least Microsoft security essentials is proper free!if you are blue … At least Microsoft security essentials is proper free!if you are blue screening on a scan, with more than one product, it sounds like reinstall time im afraid.

uh oh
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. printing pictures22
    2. Second sky q mini box - can i buy from ebay?1318
    3. active noise cancelling headphones32
    4. How are these websites Direct2Mum, PreciousLittleOne?22

See more discussions