Virgin Media Slow Connection over Wall Adapters?

17 replies
Found 24th Sep 2016
Virgin Media Slow Connection over Wall adapters?

Hello guys,

Notice my speeds had dropped from the 70mb free upgrade to barely over 30mb over the past ten days or so. I thought it might be because of the changes as people subscribed that cause the drop. I use some On Network wall adapters and have done so for about 3 and a half years.

Today I phoned the tech helpline and spoke to a lovely lady in India, who was really helpful checking their connections, logging on to me PC etc etc. While I was on hold I legged it downstairs and plugged my laptop directly into the router (via network cable) and the speeds increased to 75mb. I then used a huge networking cable and connected that from upstairs to the router downstairs and that too hit 70ish MB. I have a few different wall adapters (all the same model and brand, On Networks Powerline 200 home adapter) but the speeds drop back to low 30mbs.

The power adapters have been working fine all the time and I had hoped that maybe one was faulty but replaced at both ends and no joy, I even tried two new network cables with them. I connected my laptop upstairs via cable and it too dropped to mid 30mbs.

I don’t think anything has changed in the house wire wise although I did fit two new light fittings recently. The house is about 30 years old and previously I even used the adaptors on extension cables from Poundland and even in a detached garage without issue. The drop in speeds are the same on both PC and Laptop so I doubt it’s a software issue on both machines. The HUB is a version 1 from VM but it was and is working fine according to VM and connected directly via cable just not through network adapter.

Anybody offer any advice?

17 Comments

Have the adapters ever put out more than 30mbs or is it that you've only just noticed because of the speed increase?

Banned

I'm on VM. I had range/reboot/speed issues all the time until I put the supplied router into modem mode and connected a router to it and plugged everything into the new router.

I am with vm, I find powerline adapters do not have speeds as good as plugging straight into router.

Has your neighbour maybe bought a similar system and is causing interference?
Maybe the BBC is filtering your connection for iPlayer usage

Banned

Oneday77

Has your neighbour maybe bought a similar system and is causing … Has your neighbour maybe bought a similar system and is causing interference? Maybe the BBC is filtering your connection for iPlayer usage

Yeah perhaps they're just entitled to some of his bandwidth just in case he wants to utilise their services. Lol

Does it make any difference if your new light fittings are switched off? 30 year wiring doesn't sound good.

Original Poster

cchopps

I'm on VM. I had range/reboot/speed issues all the time until I put the … I'm on VM. I had range/reboot/speed issues all the time until I put the supplied router into modem mode and connected a router to it and plugged everything into the new router.

Well the lady in India did put it into modem mode but stayed at 30mb.

My house is only small which I wondered about light fittings because there were a pain to fit with wires all over.

With lights off makes no difference. Same speed with on or off. Just annoying that was hitting Max speeds without issue then this.

I was also getting slow wifi speed and woman changed wireless channel and speed went back up SO I wonder if lady next door has new VM. Will scan in a minute. Thanks dudes giving ten quid to next homeless person from you guys.

Banned

Graham1979

Well the lady in India did put it into modem mode but stayed at 30mb.My … Well the lady in India did put it into modem mode but stayed at 30mb.My house is only small which I wondered about light fittings because there were a pain to fit with wires all over.With lights off makes no difference. Same speed with on or off. Just annoying that was hitting Max speeds without issue then this. I was also getting slow wifi speed and woman changed wireless channel and speed went back up SO I wonder if lady next door has new VM. Will scan in a minute. Thanks dudes giving ten quid to next homeless person from you guys.

I'm confused. What speed are you achieving from router hard wired to PC? If that's 30mb it's a different issue than homeplugs giving 30mb whilst router to PC is giving 70mb. However Homeplugs are not influenced by wireless channels, they create wired network utilising your electrical circuit.

Could be worth checking if the VM router of home plugs have new firmware installed or not. If they don't could be worth trying. If they do maybe that ballsed it up.

I wouldn't have thought a BB provider would knowingly slow down your internal network. There's nothing for them to gain from it. If you can prove plugging directly into the router works as normal, then the issue lies somewhere else. Virgin have been decent enough to run tests with you, BT won't run anything after the demarcation point in your house. Your neighbour having VM shouldn't change anything unless there's something really screwed with the wiring between your homes. Hopeplugs should terminate at your distribution point as far as I'm aware.

Good luck getting it sorted.

Original Poster

cchopps

I'm confused. What speed are you achieving from router hard wired to PC? … I'm confused. What speed are you achieving from router hard wired to PC? If that's 30mb it's a different issue than homeplugs giving 30mb whilst router to PC is giving 70mb. However Homeplugs are not influenced by wireless channels, they create wired network utilising your electrical circuit.

Hardwired from PC to router is 70mb
Wall adapters from router to pc 30mb
Wireless is 60mb but was much slower before channel change was 20's.

Banned

Graham1979

Hardwired from PC to router is 70mbWall adapters from router to pc … Hardwired from PC to router is 70mbWall adapters from router to pc 30mbWireless is 60mb but was much slower before channel change was 20's.

I would have wall adapters plugged in as close to each other as possible (certainly in the same room) and see if that 30mb changes.

Original Poster

cchopps

I would have wall adapters plugged in as close to each other as possible … I would have wall adapters plugged in as close to each other as possible (certainly in the same room) and see if that 30mb changes.

Thanks dude will try that and wee how it goes. Just driving me mad it worked at 70mbs then it didn't.

We have the virgin media hub 2 and my lad has just bought the tp-link powerline adapter from curry (about £20) and is getting at least 100mbs. As all the plugs you have tried are the same model and brand i would try a different make just to see, you can always return them if getting the same result. But i agree its very odd that your mbs have dropped since vm upgraded you. Good luck in getting it sorted
Edited by: "edgygit" 25th Sep 2016

I had the same problem as well. I upgraded to av2000 tplink and problem went away. You need to upgrade to faster control power line adapter

Original Poster

UPDATE

OK, tried a few different things.

Pluged wall adapter in same room as router (which has an adapter via extension lead but always has been) and 40mb speed.

Plugged wall adapter to laptop in the same wall socket (not extension lead) and speed increased to about 50mb.

Finally connected laptop to actually router (2nd port on back of router) and speed was back to 75mbs.

My old man has a couple of different brand adapters from talk-talk so will try them. My On-Networks are 200mb and worked fine at 70mb.

I swear I could punch a dolphin in the face. Top it all off I got a VM letter with "we love exploiting "free" upgrades with a 3 quid increase, thanks for paying for the upgrade of our infrastructure"

Original Poster

UPDATE X2

switched power off downstairs and connected router and wall adapter via extension lead from upstairs. Speed slowed to about 15mbs, totally stumped with it. Will try different brand of adapters next just strange that I have tried six adapters (all on-networks same model) and slow signal.

When I connect via wifi the speed shoots up to around 50 then scales back quite quick to around 30mbs which is the wired speed.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Should I upgrade to Windows 10?711
    2. Black Xbox One or Xbox One S33
    3. 1 Product Online Shop11
    4. meaning of op710

See more discussions