Virgin Media Speed Boost

Hey, just got a quick question for you guys after hopping on the Virgin Media website. I notice they're offering a "free" speed boost. Thought I'd ask here if there really are no strings attached as they say, or if I take this upgrade I'll notice a completely coincidental price increase some time down the line?

Seems like a nice enough offer, but it's hard to take things in good will these days really.

Thanks

17 Comments

or if I take this upgrade I'll notice a completely coincidental price … or if I take this upgrade I'll notice a completely coincidental price increase some time down the line

As always VM offers this and that then a few months down the line they'll put their prices up
- standard practice

But recently I've been noticing many comments stating VM customers are not getting retention call backs so some have gone elsewhere.

Original Poster

philphil61

As always VM offers this and that then a few months down the line they'll … As always VM offers this and that then a few months down the line they'll put their prices up- standard practiceBut recently I've been noticing many comments stating VM customers are not getting retention call backs so some have gone elsewhere.

Is that going to be regardless of whether I take this upgrade then? Might as well go for it if that's the case.
Edited by: "xbox-360-elite" 28th Sep 2016

xbox-360-elite

Is that going to be regardless of whether I take this upgrade then? Might … Is that going to be regardless of whether I take this upgrade then? Might as well go for it if that's the case.

yes upgrade or no upgrade if the price goes up u pay

how old is your rooter? when I go my upgrade the interweb would drop out for a few mins 10 or 20 times a day, finaly they give new rooter all is well

Original Poster

miles136

yes upgrade or no upgrade if the price goes up u payhow old is your … yes upgrade or no upgrade if the price goes up u payhow old is your rooter? when I go my upgrade the interweb would drop out for a few mins 10 or 20 times a day, finaly they give new rooter all is well

I'm still on the old Superhub 1, but I saw a post here saying they're giving free upgrades to the Superhub 3 so I reckon I'll order that. I thought maybe there'd be a chance they wouldn't force the price hike if I remained on the "older package"

Virgin have gotten Super greedy, so i have ditched them sick of price going up for nothing noticeably different! It is like a car in a way if it can do 70mph maximum speed by law and that i am happy with, why do i need virgin hiking me to pay more and more all the time for one that goes 200mph when iv never needed more than 70mph!!!
Edited by: "Moonwolf1976" 28th Sep 2016

Moonwolf1976

Virgin have gotten Super greedy, so i have ditched them sick of price … Virgin have gotten Super greedy, so i have ditched them sick of price going up for nothing noticeably different! It is like a car in a way if it can do 70mph maximum speed by law and that i am happy with, why do i need virgin hiking me to pay more and more all the time for one that goes 200mph when iv never needed more than 70mph!!!

then just ask to decrease the speed back to the lowest limit, it will be cheaper.

eslick

then just ask to decrease the speed back to the lowest limit, it will be … then just ask to decrease the speed back to the lowest limit, it will be cheaper.

Not by much though.

Its price just gone up again £3
No free upgrade on speed they just put charge up every year to support it

Regardless of what package you're on, Virgin media are putting up prices on November 1st.

Take the speed upgrade, don't take it, won't make much difference.

Bare in mind if you're on the lowest package 50mbits take the speed upgrade and then renegotiate your contract it'll go back down to 50 afterwards so it's a marketing gimmick.

I got told if you take speed upgrades you're less likely to get a better retention deal. From now on I won't be taking up any offers like that anymore.

As for the router... if you're on superhub 1... stay on it. SH3 is nothing special. The fact that it shows you your password when typing it in shows how poor it is. It's very laggy in between menus.

devilsadv0cate

I got told if you take speed upgrades you're less likely to get a better … I got told if you take speed upgrades you're less likely to get a better retention deal. From now on I won't be taking up any offers like that anymore.As for the router... if you're on superhub 1... stay on it. SH3 is nothing special. The fact that it shows you your password when typing it in shows how poor it is. It's very laggy in between menus.

We just got a retention offer which doubled the discount we were already receiving and we took the speed boost.

the router is free but you have to pay £15 activation fee

Enquired about a free upgrade a few weeks ago was told to wait for a month and ring back as i was already on the best deal which started recently.
Will ring back next week and request for an upgrade .

Gynx

Regardless of what package you're on, Virgin media are putting up prices … Regardless of what package you're on, Virgin media are putting up prices on November 1st.Take the speed upgrade, don't take it, won't make much difference. Bare in mind if you're on the lowest package 50mbits take the speed upgrade and then renegotiate your contract it'll go back down to 50 afterwards so it's a marketing gimmick.

​Not if they give you a discount when you took out the contract I had the email and I was chuffed I thought I could leave them because I've had problem after problem told me it didn't effect me absolutely gutted

Gynx

Regardless of what package you're on, Virgin media are putting up prices … Regardless of what package you're on, Virgin media are putting up prices on November 1st.Take the speed upgrade, don't take it, won't make much difference. Bare in mind if you're on the lowest package 50mbits take the speed upgrade and then renegotiate your contract it'll go back down to 50 afterwards so it's a marketing gimmick.

​Yes. it true, they were going to give me spees boost to 70mb but after i negotiation on prices for new contract, they didn't give speed boost. On query, they told me your package is not eligible for speed boost.

I got the free Superhub and boosted speed in June when I phoned to complain about the sudden removal of my loyalty discount. Thought I was done with haggling for at least another year. Yesterday I received another price increase letter. I'm sick of the constant haggling and price increases but I do like the Virgin product . Now with the increased speeds I've accepted I'm concerned that if they decide to remove the loyalty and negotiated discounts the price would be prohibitive. Are people still getting good retention deals? I'm trying to psyche myself up to haggle yet again and would be interested to know how others have got on.

Original Poster

Thanks for all the responses guys, I really appreciate it.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Which Smart Watch for Running?25
    2. Which Camera?!!!22
    3. Kodi - £ Sports Recommendations1014
    4. Sky or Virgin?1418

See more discussions