Expired

Virgin media super hub settings? Wifi slower

Found 24th Sep 2014
Hi, anyone know why my wifi speed is maxing out at 46 megs on the superhub, while on wired its 160 megs? does 2.4ghz support speeds like that?
Community Updates
21 Comments
Wifi can't match the speed of wires and 5ghz allows better speed than 2.4ghz
Because there sh*t! Simple as
wifi on what a phone or a laptop
phone and laptop about the same speedt but when wired a lot faster. playing with wifi settings now but nothing its super hub 1
If your are using N mode on 2.4Ghz you may be getting interference from other routers in the area. Try downloading the WIFI Analyser app (Android) to see how many other users are sharing your channel and see if you can find a less cluttered channel (should be able to do a WIFI survey on your laptop as well).
You could also try to blag a SH2, but Wifi is unlikely to be as fast as wired (if your laptop / phone support Wireless AC and you buy a separate router you might get close!)
You can get 152Mbps using 2.4Ghz with the super hub 2. You just need a decent adapter. Can't see why you can't with version 1.
Edited by: "rev6" 24th Sep 2014
Also their is a setting on the superhub, As default I think it's set in an optimal setting, Apparently for a better wifi signal but with less speed.

I can get about 130Mb on 2.4g and 152Mb from 5g from about 10 meters. But I did have to change settings on the 2.4g.

Download something like this

play.google.com/sto…=en

onto android phone/tablet and test how good the signal is near the router then slowly move it away and watch the strength drop

Recently installed on my Moto G and 2 feet near the router it's top notch -35dBm move 5ft away and its -55dBm - Virgin routers pffft - I talked to Virgin about their new router - still not being released and no according to a tech within Virgin still no USB connector for LAN sharing
enigmatik33

Wifi can't match the speed of wires and 5ghz allows better speed than … Wifi can't match the speed of wires and 5ghz allows better speed than 2.4ghz

Wrong? Using both frequencies simultaneously will give you better speed than using one alone, but I don't think there's any truth to the claim that using 5GHz somehow results in faster connections. To the best of my knowledge.
joshm

Wrong? Using both frequencies simultaneously will give you better speed … Wrong? Using both frequencies simultaneously will give you better speed than using one alone, but I don't think there's any truth to the claim that using 5GHz somehow results in faster connections. To the best of my knowledge.

You're right, when talking about Virgins 152Mb service.
5ghz signal is generally shorter range and won't penetrate things likes walls, floors as efficiently as 2.4ghz. Although 5ghz is potentially faster as their is less interference from other sources.
joshm

Wrong? Using both frequencies simultaneously will give you better speed … Wrong? Using both frequencies simultaneously will give you better speed than using one alone, but I don't think there's any truth to the claim that using 5GHz somehow results in faster connections. To the best of my knowledge.

Actually 5Ghz is faster than 2.4Ghz, it's just not as good over long distances.
Transformers

Actually 5Ghz is faster than 2.4Ghz, it's just not as good over long … Actually 5Ghz is faster than 2.4Ghz, it's just not as good over long distances.

Care to explain why, or am I just supposed to take your word for it?! I don't agree with you, FWIW.
joshm

Care to explain why, or am I just supposed to take your word for it?! I … Care to explain why, or am I just supposed to take your word for it?! I don't agree with you, FWIW.

Speed :
The major difference between 2.4GHz and 5GHz is the speed of data transmission, also called bandwidth. Higher radio frequencies allow faster data transmission, so 5GHz allows much faster network connections than 2.4GHz. If you want to use high-bandwidth applications like streaming video, over your wireless network, 5GHz is by far the better choice.

http://support1.gearguy.com/useruploads/images/GHz.png

thats from netgear by the way
http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/24246/~/should-i-use-the-2.4-ghz-or-5-ghz-wireless-band%3F
mrwhitelabel

Speed :The major difference between 2.4GHz and 5GHz is the speed of data … Speed :The major difference between 2.4GHz and 5GHz is the speed of data transmission, also called bandwidth. Higher radio frequencies allow faster data transmission, so 5GHz allows much faster network connections than 2.4GHz. If you want to use high-bandwidth applications like streaming video, over your wireless network, 5GHz is by far the better choice.thats from netgear by the wayhttp://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/24246/~/should-i-use-the-2.4-ghz-or-5-ghz-wireless-band%3F

I was just going to post the same. It's the first link that comes up in Google as well, don't know why he didn't just do that.
joshm

Care to explain why, or am I just supposed to take your word for it?! I … Care to explain why, or am I just supposed to take your word for it?! I don't agree with you, FWIW.

Well on my Asus rt ac68u the 5GHz band has a data rate of 1300Mbps and the 2.4GHz has data rate of 600Mbps. So that would suggest to me 5GHz has higher data rate. That and measured speed on various devices on both bands shows 5GHz to be consistently quicker.
You need a device that can receive 3 streams to get anywhere near 1300mbit. My galaxy s4 supports wifi ac but only one stream so it's stuck at the lower speeds.
OK thanks for the explanation - I stand corrected!
kester76

You need a device that can receive 3 streams to get anywhere near … You need a device that can receive 3 streams to get anywhere near 1300mbit. My galaxy s4 supports wifi ac but only one stream so it's stuck at the lower speeds.

Yes but 1300 divided by 3 is still higher than 600 divided by 3. The other advantage is 5GHz is less congested.
Still, for the OP. It is possible to reach 152Mb wireless with a 2.4Ghz N adapter.
If you try 2.5GHz then try 5GHz on the same device ie: sony z2 mobile dual band, you will see the massive speed difference, it speaks for itself so you dont have to take my word for it or agree with anyone as the proof is there in black and white.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions