Virgin Media Superhub 3

Hi guys, any tips on how to get the most out of the VM hub 3? I have switched off 5GHz and only on 2.4GHz all wireless devices are connected, any other tips?

21 Comments

Dont know why you have turned off 5ghz, but for you and anyone else, rename the 5ghz as all my ac devices were only showing as 54mb once i renamed the 5ghz so my 2.4 and 5ghz have different names there now running 400mb.

5GHz is faster. the 2.4GHz is only good for using at long range and older devices. use 5GHz when you can.

I'd leave both 2.4 and 5ghz on, 5ghz is faster, but can only be used on some devices.

yeah, turn off the super hub Wi-Fi and get a proper WIFi Access Point.

I've left both the wireless frequencies on. Called them home5 and home. Used a wireless channel analyser to select the best channels. Auto Channel wasn't up to much same as superhub 2. Connected any devices to home5 that could see it, the rest went on home. Set up port forwarding for VoIP and my NAS and that's it.

jaddy

Dont know why you have turned off 5ghz, but for you and anyone else, … Dont know why you have turned off 5ghz, but for you and anyone else, rename the 5ghz as all my ac devices were only showing as 54mb once i renamed the 5ghz so my 2.4 and 5ghz have different names there now running 400mb.

But how do your devices connect to 2 different networks at the same time?

cowsindahouse

2 hotspots, one for 2.4 and one for 5ghz

Banned

Terrible hardware and firmware. I use it in modem mode only.

Joe909090

​The hub 2 web interface was seamless

arjanvirdi

2 hotspots, one for 2.4 and one for 5ghz
cowsindahouse

On your devices when you scan for a network and you see the renamed 5ghz, go on that one, and if you dont see the 5ghz then your device probably doesn't support it and you will need to go on 2,4ghz iv never known any device to be on both frequencies at the same time, all i know is by doing what i did my transfer speeds were 8x faster, basicly its how the hub 2 was anyway.

Mandroid578

​The hub 2 web interface was seamless

on the hub 2 ac you could adjust range ,lower range but faster transfer speeds, that features gone.

Original Poster

Thank you guys! I have switched on 5GHz as auto, whatever device is capable of 5GHz it will use that.

Joe909090

This. Switch to modem mode and get an asus router.
amazon.co.uk/gp/…c=1

Edited by: "ScoobyZ" 16th Nov 2016

jaddy

on the hub 2 ac you could adjust range ,lower range but faster transfer … on the hub 2 ac you could adjust range ,lower range but faster transfer speeds, that features gone.

​Yeah I used to buzz off that feature. Leave all the 5ghz power to myself and reduce the 2ghz for others

jaddy

Dont know why you have turned off 5ghz, but for you and anyone else, … Dont know why you have turned off 5ghz, but for you and anyone else, rename the 5ghz as all my ac devices were only showing as 54mb once i renamed the 5ghz so my 2.4 and 5ghz have different names there now running 400mb.

Can i ask why you need to rename them ? as whatever you rename them too, your only get either 5ghz or 2.4ghz speeds.

Daytrader

Can i ask why you need to rename them ? as whatever you rename them too, … Can i ask why you need to rename them ? as whatever you rename them too, your only get either 5ghz or 2.4ghz speeds.

because when not renamed the transfer speed is only 54mb once renamed they will be full speed on 5ghz, log on to your hub and check your transfer speeds on your devices. if there showing the slow speed then rename and it should be faster.

Daytrader

Can i ask why you need to rename them ? as whatever you rename them too, … Can i ask why you need to rename them ? as whatever you rename them too, your only get either 5ghz or 2.4ghz speeds.

also the idea of renaming is so you split your wifi into two separate points, 2.4 and 5, standard only has one on the hub 3.

jaddy

You can turn it off if you don't have any 5GHz devices.

jaddy

also the idea of renaming is so you split your wifi into two separate … also the idea of renaming is so you split your wifi into two separate points, 2.4 and 5, standard only has one on the hub 3.

Well if you enable ssid the router sends out both signals anyway, and you only see the one that is supported by your device, did not know about the renaming thing, surely virgin have updated the router firmware by now.

Banned

ScoobyZ

This. Switch to modem mode and get an asus … This. Switch to modem mode and get an asus router.https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B007W16SMO/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Agreed.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. I have 2 spare netflix slots and a spotify share.917
    2. I want to talk about the WEATHER no politics no religion19047185
    3. The HUKD home for Star Trek: Discovery1627
    4. Xbox One - Buying from Other Regions *WITH* A VPN (Virtual Private Network)64491

See more discussions