virgin media throttling? what are the linits?

does anyone know what the latest download limits are on virgin media network? Also is it through out the country or just certain areas? Another question i know virgin media modem is their property which they take back end of contract but what about the free router they supply, am i allowed to sell that on...?

11 Comments

Banned

virginmedia.com/hel…php

there has been throttling for years now, in all areas

Original Poster

t0mm;8915655

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CBUQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fallyours.virginmedia.com%2Fhtml%2Finternet%2Ftraffic.html&ei=QOUkTN7cF6S60gT33Mm8DQ&usg=AFQjCNFiPo1ijZZ8i_LygNzOQoxWWMIP6Q&sig2=fhFZrocOB_o51qwY3XL3TQ

So its only in 5 cities??

Forest_Gump;8915673

So its only in 5 cities??

Everywhere now I guess.

I get throttled and I live in Nottingham

Original Poster

t0mm;8915682

Everywhere now I guess.I get throttled and I live in Nottingham

i just joined VM yesterday i had no idea about this "Traffic management" thing...so i take it after 9pm there are no restrictions?

Forest_Gump;8915696

i just joined VM yesterday i had no idea about this "Traffic management" … i just joined VM yesterday i had no idea about this "Traffic management" thing...so i take it after 9pm there are no restrictions?

Casual use during day, heavy use during night will be fine( 11:59pm )

I remember reading that it comes into effect if you download more then 1.5gig a day?

Original Poster

DarrylJohn;8915720

Casual use during day, heavy use during night will be fine( 11:59pm )

work during the day anyway so i only use the in the evening or night time...guess i'll have to be careful as to what i download...

If i let my neighbour use my internet connection(wireless) from his/her house, is that breaking the t&c?

Banned

Forest_Gump;8915758

work during the day anyway so i only use the in the evening or night … work during the day anyway so i only use the in the evening or night time...guess i'll have to be careful as to what i download...If i let my neighbour use my internet connection(wireless) from his/her house, is that breaking the t&c?

I would be less inclined to worry about the t&c's, more thought should be given towards what the neighbour might be downloading and the possible consequences you could face.

Original Poster

aScottishBloke;8915791

I would be less inclined to worry about the t&c's, more thought should be … I would be less inclined to worry about the t&c's, more thought should be given towards what the neighbour might be downloading and the possible consequences you could face.

well he asked me and i said NO of course...but just wanted to know if it was ok to do it...NO WAY i'd let anyone use my net connection...

I've been on Virgin for years and I download GBs from Newsgroups each week. I tend to "batch" download - for example download 15-20GB over a 2 day period and then nothing for the rest of the week.

I also run torrents pretty much 24/7.

I've never been throttled.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. What do you feel like whinging about today?1927349
    2. love affairs1223
    3. What's the most impressive 4k / UHD film you have seen at home?1015
    4. Apples new update711

See more discussions