Virgin Media Trials 50Mb Service!!!!!

Virgin Media are trialing a 50MB BROADBAND SERVICE!!!!!

-----

20th September 2007

One of the UKs largest ISPs is to test its new 50Mbps networks in three Kent towns.

In a trial which would cost customers £47 per month, residents of Ashford, Dover and Folkestone would be able to test out Virgin Medias high-speed service.

The connection will be active from the beginning of October to the beginning of December, Virgin says.

The broadband provider will be using Data Over Cable Service Interface Specifications (DOCSIS) - cable technology normally employed for TV services - for its new network, which will be by far the quickest commercially available in the UK.

Further investment in next-generation high speed networks received strong government backing earlier this week.

Speaking to a meeting of the Broadband Stakeholder Group (BSG) on Tuesday, minister for competitiveness Stephen Timms said that improving network infrastructure was "one of my highest personal priorities".

25 Comments

so? BT doing 100mbit

Thing about this is the average user doesn't need 50MB internet they'd be happy with 5 lol the only reason you'd need a connection that fast at home at the moment is if you play loads of online games and don't want any lag, or if you download a s**t load of stuff off the net which considering the flie sizes were talking about they would almost definatly be a bit dodgy if you catch my drift ^_^ (not that i know anything about that kind of stuff you understand)

Original Poster

I dread to think how much 50Mb is gunna cost if they release it.

£37 a month for 20Mb..

Hopefully, if they do release it, we will all get upgraded for free! lol.

Chipp

the only reason you'd need a connection that fast at home at the moment … the only reason you'd need a connection that fast at home at the moment is if you play loads of online games and don't want any lag

Much of the lag you speak of here is unavoidable delay caused by distance - if the server for a game is in the United States for example, it might be nearly 10,000km away it will take over 70mS for a message to be sent and returned regardless of connection speed.

Also, regardless of what you use this for, if the servers and backbones providing you the data can't keep up the 50Mb isn't likely to be all that useful (particularly if the upload speed is set at something daft like 2Mb which it likely shall be). That said, nice to see such speeds being piloted and it will help drive down prices for more realistic ADSL2/high speed cable options (10 - 20Mb).

They've been trailing 20mb for past 3-4 months.

Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't....

Banned

Exactly what a trial is all about

W1zz

They've been trailing 20mb for past 3-4 months.Sometimes it works, … They've been trailing 20mb for past 3-4 months.Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't....

lol

They can't even get my 4Mbit right, drops down to less than 1Mbit some nights.

Banned

Victim

I dread to think how much 50Mb is gunna cost if they release it.£37 a … I dread to think how much 50Mb is gunna cost if they release it.£37 a month for 20Mb.. Hopefully, if they do release it, we will all get upgraded for free! lol.

he said £47 didnt he?and i would say the faster the net the better,imagine a 700mbps film in 14 mins lol WOW amazing

Banned

stora

lolThey can't even get my 4Mbit right, drops down to less than 1Mbit some … lolThey can't even get my 4Mbit right, drops down to less than 1Mbit some nights.

it drops down like that when you are using p2p and that because FAIR USAGE POLICY
also 4mbit is not around 4mbps is what you mean,their different things

50Mb service with a 7GB limit :giggle:

If people are paying for a 10/20/50Mb service, they should put bigger 'caps' on rather than 3GB from 4pm-12am!

hayton2k3

it drops down like that when you are using p2p and that because FAIR … it drops down like that when you are using p2p and that because FAIR USAGE POLICYalso 4mbit is not around 4mbps is what you mean,their different things

Neve use p2p.

Original Poster

stora

Neve use p2p.

How do u download, torrents?

jah128

Much of the lag you speak of here is unavoidable delay caused by distance … Much of the lag you speak of here is unavoidable delay caused by distance - if the server for a game is in the United States for example, it might be nearly 10,000km away it will take over 70mS for a message to be sent and returned regardless of connection speed. Also, regardless of what you use this for, if the servers and backbones providing you the data can't keep up the 50Mb isn't likely to be all that useful (particularly if the upload speed is set at something daft like 2Mb which it likely shall be). That said, nice to see such speeds being piloted and it will help drive down prices for more realistic ADSL2/high speed cable options (10 - 20Mb).

Lol very true i just couldn't be bothered getting technical :giggle: i could do with 50MB unlimited myself (i'm downloading a 120GB set of files atm) only 3weeks 5days to go :w00t:

Original Poster

Chipp

only 3weeks 5days to go

Wow!

:roll:

I'm downloading 315 episodes of 'one piece' in one go plus the films lol, not sure if its actually illegal or not TBH i'm never quite sure when downloading japanese anime i think it depends on weather its liciensed in the uk or not? downloaded all the narutos in one go 6 months or so ago took me ages to get fully up todate with shippuden lol

The broadband provider will be using Data Over Cable Service Interface … The broadband provider will be using Data Over Cable Service Interface Specifications (DOCSIS) - cable technology normally employed for TV services - for its new network, which will be by far the quickest commercially available in the UK.

Like the have a choice

Wonder what this gets dropped to when you go over their ****** limits lol.

I'm raging at them since my 4Mb gets dropped after downloading 750Mb.
Taken me days to download all my updates from my reinstall since i keep hitting the limits.

NTL always kept it unlimited.
Virgin limited it by the back door.

Already looking at others

I have 20mbit cable and 8mbit Orange adsl

VM's trottling 4pm-middnight is a bit annoying but I RDP if needed to schedule stuff before 12pm if I need to or close the needed applications with active queues and run a scheduled task to start them after middnight if I'm not awake to do it myself.

This 50mbit where it's coming out, is £47/month.

All well and good but if you cannot get (many suffer similarly) 10mbit speeds for hours at a time everyday on a 20mbit service, I'm expecting this 50mbit will suffer similar bad peerage and contention problems that will never make it worth £47/month.

Not worth it imo, better getting a good deal on 20mbit (I pay approx £29/month on the offer I'm on)

VM will never give all it's covered areas 50mbit this decade it requires expensive docsis 3.0 and most of the network is not new to enable this.

Same can be said for BT's fibre to the cabinet/lamppost, still a while away from mass take up etc, it'll be interesting to see how they do the last mile, VDSL2 needs to be ratified 1st, until then BT will not touch the hardware needed to give 50-100mbit to the home, so many many years away.

Majority of the population (VM only covers 25% of the population iirc) will have to wait to get faster than LLU ADSL2 (12-20mbit typically) speeds

Victim

How do u download, torrents?

I don't download torrents. What makes you think I do ?

Original Poster

stora

What makes you think I do ?

Nothin.. Dont matter.

HaggisHunter

Wonder what this gets dropped to when you go over their ****** limits … Wonder what this gets dropped to when you go over their ****** limits lol.I'm raging at them since my 4Mb gets dropped after downloading 750Mb.Taken me days to download all my updates from my reinstall since i keep hitting the limits.NTL always kept it unlimited.Virgin limited it by the back door.Already looking at others

When taking there Broadband service. You should read all of there Terms and conditions and user agreement that seems like a load of old boring stuff. But, it probably states in there somewhere that they can cap your speed whenever they want.

:-(

The throttling happened earlier this year, it was very well published and they sent information out I think.

Cant remember getting anything off of them.

To be honest, NTL always talked about bringing it in, but they knew if they did it would drive away a lot of customers, and they just ditched the whole idea saying they wouldnt ever do it.
Virgin take over, and institute it straight away.

Total idiots so they are.
Pointless advertising these speeds, when people are never going to get to use them.

Original Poster

HaggisHunter

Pointless advertising these speeds, when people are never going to get to … Pointless advertising these speeds, when people are never going to get to use them.

Agreed...

Since virgin media have taken over, there have been many improvements. But this isnt one of them.

They must of lost a lot of customers over this, its completly stupid.

Well to be honest they havent made it that well known.
I cant remember getting anything about it, and my mate is chucking it since he cant get a stable connection anyway.

I knew about it, but it didnt hit me till i had to get all my game updates etc and that pretty much screwed me for doing it from 4pm.
Battlefield 2 and FEAR patches came to 800mb, one of the Mods is 1.8Gb, and i sometimes play Americas Army which is 2.5Gb
Having a 750Mb limit from 4pm, well, it doesnt really work does it.

Theyr losing me over it, which is a damn shame since i loved NTL and couldnt see myself leaving for a long long time.
Virgins just evil and rubbish.

HaggisHunter

Pointless advertising these speeds, when people are never going to get to … Pointless advertising these speeds, when people are never going to get to use them.

And VM is well known for being truthful in its advertising.:whistling:

I'd just be happy for them to sort out the connection speed I'm supposed to get but never do.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764205
    2. How dangerous is Donald trump?31136
    3. Microsoft Gamescom - Possibly more free games / Project Scorpio33
    4. What do these 2 men have in common69

See more discussions