Virgin Media upgrading broadband speeds again?

23 replies
Found 16th Jul 2008
Got a call from them yesterday and was told that in September i will be getting 50Mbps!!

Anyone else hear the same?

23 Comments

You're not, though. 50Mbps theoretical max peak connection speed, but then, to save costs, you'll find that stripped down to something hideously low should you be at all inclined to make use of it. Afaik, you're only entitled to download some 300MB in peak times before your existing 20Mb connection is sunk to something of pathetic speed. Don't expect it to change.

dxx;2537775

You're not, though. 50Mbps theoretical max peak connection speed, but … You're not, though. 50Mbps theoretical max peak connection speed, but then, to save costs, you'll find that stripped down to something hideously low should you be at all inclined to make use of it. Afaik, you're only entitled to download some 300MB in peak times before your existing 20Mb connection is sunk to something of pathetic speed. Don't expect it to change.

That's what has happened to me this week, after furiously removing programs and reinstalling routers i discovered the lack of speed definitely wasn't due to me, so i rang Virgin and they said that i had been capped for the week, it would be nice if they e-mailed me to tell me!!

Banned

sancho1983;2537853

That's what has happened to me this week, after furiously removing … That's what has happened to me this week, after furiously removing programs and reinstalling routers i discovered the lack of speed definitely wasn't due to me, so i rang Virgin and they said that i had been capped for the week, it would be nice if they e-mailed me to tell me!!

you only get capped for the day I have found. I download about 1-2 gig a day and only find a slowdown from about 2pm-8pm.

Its 3gb in peak times not 300mb, they then cap you at 5meg speed for the rest of the day, if you were capped for the whole week id imagine youre on their main offenders list lol

Any idea when 2mb customers will see any kind of upgrade?

Original Poster

kungfu;2538166

Its 3gb in peak times not 300mb, they then cap you at 5meg speed for the … Its 3gb in peak times not 300mb, they then cap you at 5meg speed for the rest of the day, if you were capped for the whole week id imagine youre on their main offenders list lol

:giggle:

Original Poster

TGB;2538185

should be 5mb :thumbsup:

Banned

TGB;2538185

I spoke with virgin yesterday and 2mb customers are not being upgraded at all.

4mb rolling up to 10mb and 20mb up to 50mb over the next 6 months.

csiman;2538210

I spoke with virgin yesterday and 2mb customers are not being upgraded at … I spoke with virgin yesterday and 2mb customers are not being upgraded at all. 4mb rolling up to 10mb and 20mb up to 50mb over the next 6 months.

Cheers mate, will defo be having the clowns upgrade me to 4mb/10mb then. Rep added

csiman;2538210

I spoke with virgin yesterday and 2mb customers are not being upgraded at … I spoke with virgin yesterday and 2mb customers are not being upgraded at all. 4mb rolling up to 10mb and 20mb up to 50mb over the next 6 months.

Yup this is true I had a virgin briefing at work where they went over this.

kungfu;2538166

Its 3gb in peak times not 300mb, they then cap you at 5meg speed for the … Its 3gb in peak times not 300mb, they then cap you at 5meg speed for the rest of the day, if you were capped for the whole week id imagine youre on their main offenders list lol

Well, I suppose eight minutes before being capped is better than 48 seconds...

I think we spent most the time being capped last year hehe

This is interesting, should be getting a place of my own soon, so going to be a tough call on whether I need 2mb or 10mb.

The guy said you can download 5gb over the week during peak times (4-12) last week i apparently downloaded 9gb, i'm on telephone connection rather than cable

kungfu;2538166

300MB says a bloke on TheRegister - theregister.co.uk/200…ts/

I have 3 machines at home. If all downloaded a patch like this that's … I have 3 machines at home. If all downloaded a patch like this that's 170MB. As Virgin cap me at 300MB during the evening that's 1/2 my bandwidth gone. Just because they can't figure out how to update a dictionary but take the easy option of sending the whole thing out again.

But, yeah. Maybe they have different levels of lousy for different users, varying from "rubbish" for the gentler downloaders, all the way to "dial-up" for anyone who might want to actually use their super-fast connection. In either case though, I can't see why anyone would want to stick with them. Be give you 24mbit of unshaped broadband for under £20 a month.

who cares - if your with virgin you'll get massive download speeds but they won't actually let you download anything without reporting you to the copyright police!

who the hell needs 50Mbps for web browsing!

Original Poster

worto03;2538916

who cares - if your with virgin you'll get massive download speeds but … who cares - if your with virgin you'll get massive download speeds but they won't actually let you download anything without reporting you to the copyright police!who the hell needs 50Mbps for web browsing!

there is nothing they can do about copy right story

its only to scare people with a letter

Banned

geoneo123;2538958

there is nothing they can do about copy right storyits only to scare … there is nothing they can do about copy right storyits only to scare people with a letter

Good post. Why do people believe all this copyright police rubbish. Never had anything from VM in 10 years despite d/ling 2-3gig a day.

cool, I'm not with them just what I've heard from others so your first hand experiance is likely to be worth more that my 2nd hand opinions but VM have stated that they are going to be sending out 1000's more letters over the coming months.

God knows if they will actually act on them or if it is just scare tactics but they are the only UK ISP so far to signup to the new guidelines so surely it must be safer to be with an ISP who is a little more uncooperative with the various authorities if that makes sense?

worto03;2538916

who cares - if your with virgin you'll get massive download speeds but … who cares - if your with virgin you'll get massive download speeds but they won't actually let you download anything without reporting you to the copyright police!who the hell needs 50Mbps for web browsing!

No one really but it helps for us gamers :thumbsup:

Original Poster

natversion1;2539185

hell yes

its very useful for xbox live and PC gaming

Just starting to play pc games again now after build my first PC from the ground up :thumbsup:

does that much bandwidth really make any diference for games?

Don't get me wrong I'm not trying to start a fight but just curious? I only play poker on the PC so that wouldn't matter but halo & GTA on the 360 works fine on a 2mb link & now I have an 8mb link still works fine? I can't see it working any better on a bigger link?

I guess you might be able to download the demo's a lot quicker it takes a while for me to download some of the demos that are over a gig in size each but actually playing the games I can't see being any better.

dxx;2538745

300MB says a bloke on TheRegister - … 300MB says a bloke on TheRegister - http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/07/11/vista_update/comments/

That's the old limit on the 2M/256k package, the current usage limits are ]here - it looks like they've recently extended them to be in force during the daytime and for uploads as well.

natversion1;2539185

Not really, at least in game, since the upload still sucks at a fraction of a megabit. It'd be handy for demos until you run into their usage limits.

1mb or 50mb dl speeds wont effect gaming or pings at all, its the upload we want for gaming really.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Without giving away your age, name three things that remind you of when you…2653
    2. Smacking children is to be banned in Scotland2047
    3. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7769322
    4. So Flubit is still terrible. What happened?!1112

See more discussions