Virgin Media - WiFi Extender/Booster

Found 16th Feb 2016
I have a problem with my Virgin Media Superhub WiFi strength. It is upstairs in a corner of a bedroom, signal upstairs and part of downstairs is very good/good.

BUT in my front room, opposite corner of the property I get no Wifi as soon as I enter, I'm planning on putting my PS4 into there but it is no good without WIFI.

So does anybody know any wifi extenders which can be used with Virgin media at a reasonable price?
Community Updates
10 Comments
Is it the original Superhub or the 2nd one with AC?

I was looking at THIS last night as it has AC support.

The one above only goes up to N.

Or the TP-Link version of AC.
Edited by: "Bobbajob" 16th Feb 2016
I considered using a WiFi extender but read far too many negatives about how particular the placement has to be to get a good boost to signal.

E.G. Boosting a subpar signal won't keep the full strength throughout the new extension unless placed very carefully.

I got a TP Link powerline kit, which was about £50 at the time I bought it and you literally run Ethernet to the closest plug to the router, and then it passes the internet signal through the electrical ring main in your house electrics and rebroadcasts from wherever you place the second plug. You can also run Ethernet from the new plug.

All this without installing any new phone cabling.

We're using ours extended from a Virgin Superhub and it's worked perfectly. Wired in PS4 and wireless signal rebroadcast from other side of the house using the same network ID (Or a different one if you prefer).

amazon.co.uk/TP-…ine
Original Poster
I believe I have the Superhub 1. Glossy?

I have a Superhub 2 sitting at home waiting to replace a Superhub 1.

I get 1 bar of signal in my bedroom which is directly above my router.

I use a generic wifi repeater that was on here which improves matter.

jonnytnufc

I believe I have the Superhub 1. Glossy?

I have a Superhub 2 sitting at home waiting to replace a Superhub 1.

I get 1 bar of signal in my bedroom which is directly above my router.

I use a generic wifi repeater that was on here which improves matter.
dunc360

I considered using a WiFi extender but read far too many negatives about … I considered using a WiFi extender but read far too many negatives about how particular the placement has to be to get a good boost to signal.E.G. Boosting a subpar signal won't keep the full strength throughout the new extension unless placed very carefully.I got a TP Link powerline kit, which was about £50 at the time I bought it and you literally run Ethernet to the closest plug to the router, and then it passes the internet signal through the electrical ring main in your house electrics and rebroadcasts from wherever you place the second plug. You can also run Ethernet from the new plug.All this without installing any new phone cabling.We're using ours extended from a Virgin Superhub and it's worked perfectly. Wired in PS4 and wireless signal rebroadcast from other side of the house using the same network ID (Or a different one if you prefer).http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-LINK-TL-WPA4230P-Powerline-Extender-Multiple/dp/B00K0MJ30G/ref=sr_1_14?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1455640842&sr=1-14&keywords=tp+link+powerline

Do the powerline adapters work on different floors if the sockets are on a different loop?
Bobbajob

Do the powerline adapters work on different floors if the sockets are on … Do the powerline adapters work on different floors if the sockets are on a different loop?

Yes - So long as they are plugged directly into the wall socket and not onto a multiplug (Which is another reason I chose a passthrough kit to plug into a socket and still have use of that socket via the passthrough).

Our extended plug is upstairs and the router is on the other side of the house downstairs which are different loops.
And you can add additional wifi broadcast points or Ethernet plugs if the one isn't enough for you.

Fixed all our WiFi issues for sure
I avoided tplink having read some of the reviews, went for sagemcom in the end. works fine
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants