Virgin Mobile change of tariff

Found 31st May
I called Virgin Mobile to change my husband's tariff and they ran a credit check before they could do so. He has had the plan for about 2 years and have never missed a payment.

The new tariff is priced the same as the existing tariff so the actual cost has not gone up (yet - as I know they will be increasing it soon like they always do with discounted plans on offer!)

I have changed tariff on EE and plusnet and did not have to get a credit check done. Is Virgin Mobile the only provider that does a credit check when you change plan as an existing customer? It doesn't seem right that you have to get a credit check if you are an existing customer and have always paid your bills.
Community Updates
Ask
17 Comments
deleted396333
That doesn't seem right
Usually they HAVE to ask/tell you that a check will be done. You could at that point say "No thanks... don't think it's necessary".

Yes you wouldn't have gotten the deal, but it's one of those "Do XXX or you don't get YYY" rules that companies have.
DemonOverlord9 m ago

Usually they HAVE to ask/tell you that a check will be done. You could at …Usually they HAVE to ask/tell you that a check will be done. You could at that point say "No thanks... don't think it's necessary". Yes you wouldn't have gotten the deal, but it's one of those "Do XXX or you don't get YYY" rules that companies have.

In order to get the new tariff, they said that a credit check has to be done so even though you are an existing customer with clean payment history for 2 years, they still want to carry out a credit check when the price plan is still the same

I have never come across this before so wondered if anyone else had when they changed tariff as it doesn't sound right. I have put it down to Virgin Mobile's tactics of not allowing existing customers to benefit from discounted deals available to new customers as having to go through a credit check would put most people off, not to mention some people may actually fail the credit check.
Its for insurance purposes they sell the risk so these questions need to be asked.
If that's the standard procedure then you shouldn't feel victimised. If this happened to me 'shrugs shoulders' I wouldn't care. But I get why you think this is wrong.
Edited by: "RiverDragon8" 31st May
You probably have a note on your account.
I have been with Virgin for probably 15 years, including all services and two mobile plans.

I have never missed a payment in my life, but I have had checks done when changing sim plans.

It seems to be fairly normal practice.
hottoast25 m ago

I have been with Virgin for probably 15 years, including all services and …I have been with Virgin for probably 15 years, including all services and two mobile plans.I have never missed a payment in my life, but I have had checks done when changing sim plans.It seems to be fairly normal practice.

I have not had a credit check done when I changed mobile tariff with ee and plusnet so this seems very odd. From the payment history, they should be able to see that you can afford to pay your bill, so why the need for a credit check? They didn't need to do a credit check if he had continued on the current tariff, why does changing tariff necessitate a credit check?

Unless they do credit check when I changed tariff with ee and plusnet and they just didn't tell me that they were doing a credit check.
RiverDragon82 h, 11 m ago

If that's the standard procedure then you shouldn't feel victimised. If …If that's the standard procedure then you shouldn't feel victimised. If this happened to me 'shrugs shoulders' I wouldn't care. But I get why you think this is wrong.

As far as I understand, each credit check that is carried out on you will affect your credit scoring. So if you have too many credit checks, it could affect your credit rating. Therefore, unnecessary credit checks like this should not be carried out, just for the sake of a credit check that shows nothing.
mutley139 m ago

As far as I understand, each credit check that is carried out on you will …As far as I understand, each credit check that is carried out on you will affect your credit scoring. So if you have too many credit checks, it could affect your credit rating. Therefore, unnecessary credit checks like this should not be carried out, just for the sake of a credit check that shows nothing.

It will only effect your Credit File if there are Multiple Credit Checks all happening within a short space of time, ie Someone is panicking and needs a Loan fast type scenario.

All providers Credit Check if it involves a New Phone or expensive Hardware, not sure if your new Contract involves that or is Sim Only, if Sim Only depends on the Network, most just accept on Completion of a confirmed Direct Debit ie valid Bank and Address.
zirk13 h, 44 m ago

It will only effect your Credit File if there are Multiple Credit Checks …It will only effect your Credit File if there are Multiple Credit Checks all happening within a short space of time, ie Someone is panicking and needs a Loan fast type scenario.All providers Credit Check if it involves a New Phone or expensive Hardware, not sure if your new Contract involves that or is Sim Only, if Sim Only depends on the Network, most just accept on Completion of a confirmed Direct Debit ie valid Bank and Address.

sim only plan and it is simply a change of tariff as the payment has always been on direct debit and will continue to be so. the cost of the tariff remains the same, it is only the plan itself that is changed to allow more minutes and data.
Soft check or hard check? I assume permission was requiested prior to any check being performed, allowing you time to consider to proceed or not?
AndyRoyd46 m ago

Soft check or hard check? I assume permission was requiested prior to any …Soft check or hard check? I assume permission was requiested prior to any check being performed, allowing you time to consider to proceed or not?

i am not aware of the difference, but they took a few minutes to do, so don't know if that is soft? yes, they asked that he was OK for the credit check to be carried out as without that, he would not be able to change tariff. as we wanted to move to the new tariff, we agreed to the credit check. they said that they would also need to carry out a credit check for anyone associated with him financially, to which we also agreed as I assumed that may have meant me, being his wife, but they didn't ask for my details so they couldn't have done the credit check on me.

the account is in his name so i am not associated with that account, they may have mean anyone else named on the account, but a joint mobile plan account would be unusual?
mutley115 m ago

i am not aware of the difference, but they took a few minutes to do, so …i am not aware of the difference, but they took a few minutes to do, so don't know if that is soft? ...

Hard check leaves a footprint, whereas the soft check doesn't, so a soft check has near-zero consequence to the consumer's credit file experian.co.uk/con…tml . VM should be happy to indicate which was used in your instance.
Tends to be done for people on low income or unreliable payments.
dcx_badass9 h, 27 m ago

Tends to be done for people on low income or unreliable payments.

my husband is not on low income and the monthly plan cost is only £9 so hardly going to break the bank for anyone. with a new plan that has more inclusive minutes and data, he is even more unlikely to spend any more than £9 a month, which has been the actual spend over the last two years as he doesn't really use the phone that much.

they also couldn't start the new plan until the next billing cycle, which is not my experience in the past when i change tariff with other mobile providers, who will change the tariff immediately.

virgin mobile seem to be doing things completely different to other mobile providers that i have been used to in the past.
mutley12nd Jun

my husband is not on low income and the monthly plan cost is only £9 so …my husband is not on low income and the monthly plan cost is only £9 so hardly going to break the bank for anyone. with a new plan that has more inclusive minutes and data, he is even more unlikely to spend any more than £9 a month, which has been the actual spend over the last two years as he doesn't really use the phone that much.they also couldn't start the new plan until the next billing cycle, which is not my experience in the past when i change tariff with other mobile providers, who will change the tariff immediately.virgin mobile seem to be doing things completely different to other mobile providers that i have been used to in the past.

If you signed up to any credit agreement with a phone provider you will most likely have agreed even if you haven’t read it in the t&cs to a credit check. Plus net certainty did last year.

You you can get a free credit report which shows searches for the last year on MSE.

moneysavingexpert.com/cre…lub
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants