Groups

Virgin Mobile increase monthly plan

So it looks like Virgin Mobile is the first one to start increasing the monthly tariff to pass on their reduction in profits following the new legislation of EU roaming from 15 June.

My husband's monthly plan cost will increase in July from £8 to £9, an increase of 12.5%, so not exactly inflation linked is it, when CPI is 2.7% and RPI is 3.5%?!

Which operator will be next to do the price hike after the EU roaming law comes into effect?

Top comments

mutley1

\x09\x09\x09\x09\x09My husband's monthly plan cost will increase in July … \x09\x09\x09\x09\x09My husband's monthly plan cost will increase in July from £8 to £9, an increase of 12.5%, so not exactly inflation linked is it, when CPI is 2.7% and RPI is 3.5%?!\x09\x09\x09\x09\x09

If he can afford to blow £100k a year on gambling I'm sure a £1 increase won't break him.

mutley1

We are planning to extend our home and my husband believes that the cost … We are planning to extend our home and my husband believes that the cost of the extension will be £150K - £200K but I would be interested in how much other people have spent on their extension and what you had done to put into context our costs.

Don't you realise how foolish these posts make you look?

Just pathetic.

Edited by: "deeky" 1st Jun
    23 Comments

They will all follow suit now one network has done it.

Original Poster

nah33d5 m ago

They will all follow suit now one network has done it.

the annoying thing will be for those who do not travel widely around europe, like me, having to pay the increase in monthly tariff to subsidise those that do!

Our text came through last week, called the, told them I was off to plusnet and they reduced the price I was paying from £9 to £7 same amount if everything. It's in the contract they can do it but there is so much competition at the moment it's easy to move and get a better deal, even within the EE network.
    Edited by: "eslick" 1st Jun

mutley1

\x09\x09\x09\x09\x09My husband's monthly plan cost will increase in July … \x09\x09\x09\x09\x09My husband's monthly plan cost will increase in July from £8 to £9, an increase of 12.5%, so not exactly inflation linked is it, when CPI is 2.7% and RPI is 3.5%?!\x09\x09\x09\x09\x09

If he can afford to blow £100k a year on gambling I'm sure a £1 increase won't break him.

mutley1

We are planning to extend our home and my husband believes that the cost … We are planning to extend our home and my husband believes that the cost of the extension will be £150K - £200K but I would be interested in how much other people have spent on their extension and what you had done to put into context our costs.

Don't you realise how foolish these posts make you look?

Just pathetic.

Edited by: "deeky" 1st Jun

They raise their prices every year at this time of year.

Nothing new.

Original Poster

eslick3 m ago

Our text came through last week, called the, told them I was off to …Our text came through last week, called the, told them I was off to plusnet and they reduced the price I was paying from £9 to £7 same amount if everything

thanks. i will call them tomorrow and see if i get any where. but in all honesty, i can not call their bluff on this one as my husband's tariff includes 08 numbers and he uses those a lot, and i don't rate the forget 08 number app much.

worth a grumble to them to see if we get any where as my husband doesn't use many minutes on his 2000 minutes per month so they may consider that they are already getting their penny's worth out of him.

Original Poster

Galaxien2 m ago

They raise their prices every year at this time of year.Nothing new.

by 12.5% rather than RPI? EE always increase their prices, but in line with RPI in the past years.

Yep at 12.5%... That,s why I left them 2 years ago

Original Poster

Galaxien5 m ago

That is really bad. I can understand increasing in line with RPI, but well above inflation is out of order. Looks like we will need to look else where soon.

mutley1

thanks. i will call them tomorrow and see if i get any where. but in all … thanks. i will call them tomorrow and see if i get any where. but in all honesty, i can not call their bluff on this one as my husband's tariff includes 08 numbers and he uses those a lot, and i don't rate the forget 08 number app much.worth a grumble to them to see if we get any where as my husband doesn't use many minutes on his 2000 minutes per month so they may consider that they are already getting their penny's worth out of him.

You need to check what 08 numbers he is calling they have been free since 2015 and many companies now offer 03 numbers which are also part of your package

ofcom.org.uk/abo…day

Original Poster

eslick1 m ago

You need to check what 08 numbers he is calling they have been free since …You need to check what 08 numbers he is calling they have been free since 2015 and many companies now offer 03 numbers which are also part of your packagehttps://www.ofcom.org.uk/about-ofcom/latest/media/media-releases/2015/call-charges-clearer-from-wednesday

0844, 0871 and 0843, these are not free.

Galaxien

This is untrue.

It's a quid. Live with it. You own half of London, put each of your tenants rent up by a penny. Soon pay for it. Like deeky said, if your husband has a £100k a year gambling habit, what is £12?

mutley1

mutley1

100k on gambling have I missed something?

mutley1

0844, 0871 and 0843, these are not free.

But those call aren't free with any provider including VM, most good companies have moved these numbers to numbers that can use your package but they are some that don't.

store.virginmedia.com/vir…tml

Galaxien

Is it.... then … Is it.... then lookhttp://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/phones/2016/06/virgin-media-is-putting-up-its-mobile-prices---what-you-need-to-knowhttp://www.hotukdeals.com/misc/virgin-mobile-increasing-prices-from-july-29th-2231762

I've been with them for years and they haven't raised prices by 12.5% every year.

Original Poster

eslick8 h, 19 m ago

But those call aren't free with any provider including VM, most good …But those call aren't free with any provider including VM, most good companies have moved these numbers to numbers that can use your package but they are some that don't. http://store.virginmedia.com/virgin-media-mobile/pay-monthly/pay-monthly-call-charges.html

They are part of the inclusive minutes so they do not cost any extra from the monthly plan cost. Virgin no longer offer this with new contracts as far as I could see when I last looked. My husband's sim was taken out last year when Virgin still had on offer 08 number as inclusive minutes.

I forgot to call them today so I will call them tomorrow and see how far I get with haggling the price down

Original Poster

psychobitchfromhell15 h, 5 m ago

It's a quid. Live with it. You own half of London, put each of your …It's a quid. Live with it. You own half of London, put each of your tenants rent up by a penny. Soon pay for it. Like deeky said, if your husband has a £100k a year gambling habit, what is £12?

i do not own half of london, let's not exaggerate here!

£12 increase equates to 12.5%, it is not a significant figure on its own, but the percentage increase above inflation is significant. which indicates that other providers will more than likely follow suite to increase their plan prices above inflation in order to recoup the cost of free EU roaming, which is coming into law later this month.

it may just be that virgin mobile has a habit of increasing their plan prices well above inflation historically so this is nothing new for them. i had switched my husband's t-mobile plan to virgin mobile as it was better value but i did not know that they have a habit of increasing their price plans well above inflation each year, so it will not take long before it becomes less value than his t-mobile plan. he can not go back to the t-mobile plan as that is an old plan which is no longer available.

mutley1

i do not own half of london, let's not exaggerate here!£12 increase … i do not own half of london, let's not exaggerate here!£12 increase equates to 12.5%, it is not a significant figure on its own, but the percentage increase above inflation is significant. which indicates that other providers will more than likely follow suite to increase their plan prices above inflation in order to recoup the cost of free EU roaming, which is coming into law later this month.it may just be that virgin mobile has a habit of increasing their plan prices well above inflation historically so this is nothing new for them. i had switched my husband's t-mobile plan to virgin mobile as it was better value but i did not know that they have a habit of increasing their price plans well above inflation each year, so it will not take long before it becomes less value than his t-mobile plan. he can not go back to the t-mobile plan as that is an old plan which is no longer available.

Ok so half of the part of London the duke of Westminster doesn't own. I'm on a fiver a month SIM only with bt so I can't recommend a cheaper plan for you. I mainly use whatsapp and only use it to phone my mother once a week and keep track on the kid. I wouldn't touch virgin with a bargepole. Dreadful company.

deeky

People make these ridiculous boast and claims and then they seem to … People make these ridiculous boast and claims and then they seem to forget what they've said X)

Lol got ya

Original Poster

I called virgin customer service. I could not make any sense of the bloke on the phone. He had no idea what he was talking about and neither did I. What a farce.

He said that the price will remain at £8 per month as a £1 discount will be applied but then he went on to say that a new sim would be sent out and there will be a new plan. I gave up and so just agreed and dialled off. Anyone ever needed to speak to customer service at Virgin mobile, good luck.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Surprise! The HUKD Summer Flamedeer Hunt 2017 **OFFICIAL THREAD** (trading …4522112
      2. Are these two things distinctly different to you?35195
      3. Who's getting the Xbox X Scorpio? 60 day satisfaction1334
      4. ❅☁☁❅ I want☼to talk☼about the☔WEATHER☔no politics☃no religion❅☁☁❅18846346

See more discussions