Virgin Mobile increasing prices from July 29th

Found 22nd Jun 2015
Got a letter today to say that Virgin mobile are increasing my tariff, its sim only costing £8 a month and the price increases by £1.50 nearly 20%, is that right??

Further info here

store.virginmedia.com/spe…tml

Would like to know the type of increases others are facing and the current tariff they are on
Community Updates
43 Comments
Its 18.75%
Its the first increase I have ever had from Virgin, is 19% the norm?
Call them and tell them you want to cancel even if you are in mid contract you are now allowed to leave without penalty. However the will probably give you a better deal just to stay.
Threaten to move to 3 and they may give you a deal.
eslick

Call them and tell them you want to cancel even if you are in mid … Call them and tell them you want to cancel even if you are in mid contract you are now allowed to leave without penalty. However the will probably give you a better deal just to stay.

Wont this start a new 12 months deal though ?
Millionvoltage

Wont this start a new 12 months deal though ?

u can get 30 day rolling sim only deals i think
so is this right then can we get out of contracts only a few months old due to this increase?
well im currently paying a £5 for unlimited everything. think i'll just take the hit of the increase cause I don't think even with the increase the price can be bettered.
EN1GMA

well im currently paying a £5 for unlimited everything. think i'll just … well im currently paying a £5 for unlimited everything. think i'll just take the hit of the increase cause I don't think even with the increase the price can be bettered.

Same here. Not much choice really. It's not like you can threaten to go anywhere else because they're cheaper.
deeky

Same here. Not much choice really. It's not like you can threaten to go … Same here. Not much choice really. It's not like you can threaten to go anywhere else because they're cheaper.

LOL exactly. I guess if the increase takes me to £7 a month, still a great deal for unlimited everything. sometimes this site makes me lose perspective..X)
Spoke with Virgin this morning, basically the increase is correct and the girl totally agreed that over 18% is a large increase and basically said there was nothing she could do as she does not set the tariff, she then asked are my OK with the increase to which I replied not really but still I expect every thing increases over time. She then offered as a good will to treble my minutes from 250 to 750 per month. To be fair that was more than I expected because I always struggle with the 250 mins per month and would probably of paid £1.50 extra month to get 500 more so all in all I got a good result in the end. 750 is well more than I will need to each month.
Bad network
How you get £5 unlimited?
EN1GMA

well im currently paying a £5 for unlimited everything. think i'll just … well im currently paying a £5 for unlimited everything. think i'll just take the hit of the increase cause I don't think even with the increase the price can be bettered.

£5?? I asked for a better deal and they said there was no way he could give me one.
herrbz

£5?? I asked for a better deal and they said there was no way he could … £5?? I asked for a better deal and they said there was no way he could give me one.

It's was from a deal posted on here funnily enough.
eslick

Call them and tell them you want to cancel even if you are in mid … Call them and tell them you want to cancel even if you are in mid contract you are now allowed to leave without penalty. However the will probably give you a better deal just to stay.

I would double check that ,most mobile operators now put a small print in the terms saying by signing up you agree to any price rises, happened with me few months back on 02

so basically your stuffed
ashmac

I would double check that ,most mobile operators now put a small … I would double check that ,most mobile operators now put a small print in the terms saying by signing up you agree to any price rises, happened with me few months back on 02so basically your stuffed

Orange did the same with me last year and EE the year before. They can increase inline with inflation or I think it's 1.9%. It's all wrong. A 24 month contract should be at a set £ per month for the 24 months end of. Can you imagine if the banks tried that on with personal loans.
ashmac

I would double check that ,most mobile operators now put a small … I would double check that ,most mobile operators now put a small print in the terms saying by signing up you agree to any price rises, happened with me few months back on 02so basically your stuffed

You can cancel in this case:
http://store.virginmedia.com/special-offers/mobile-price-rise-one/faq.html

Also to note, not all tariffs are being increased so wait for a letter
The sim only sims we have are going up £1.50 to be fair they're increasing allowances too.

£8.50 now gets
Unltd min text and data (subject to virgin fup)
Unltd calls to all 08 numbers (that's what the letter says)
Reduced roaming costs

Still a great deal
Qrunch

The sim only sims we have are going up £1.50 to be fair they're … The sim only sims we have are going up £1.50 to be fair they're increasing allowances too. £8.50 now gets Unltd min text and data (subject to virgin fup) Unltd calls to all 08 numbers (that's what the letter says) Reduced roaming costs Still a great deal

I dont think the 08 is right, my letter listed a few 08 numbers that will be free from1/7, however the way 08 numers are being charged from 1/7 will mean no company offering them all as free.
I can't get the picture to upload.
Definitely says "you'll be able to call every single 08 number (like 084 and 087)without charge,"
I was surprised as well, that includes 0844+0871 in that case.
Not that I ring them much.
All mobile operators will offer 0800 free, seems like companies are using it as marketing now.

Ofcom ruled freephone should be free for mobiles in 2013 and was scheduled for this year:
http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/phones/2013/12/0800-calls-to-be-free-from-mobiles

Also noted here it says all 08 numbers will be free which is odd especially for 084:
store.virginmedia.com/spe…tml

Edited by: "Myriad" 24th Jun 2015
Got a letter from virgin on Friday another price increase, 33% this time around. So in the last 2 years I have seen my tariff incease over 50%, I guess they are trying to force existing customers off their ulimited data packages as everyone on their capped data packages are getting a 1.6% increase in line with rpi.

Not sure what to do, its only 3g but I get unlimited calls, text, and data along with free 08 numbers for £12.50 a month after the price increase.
Edited by: "margamboy" 30th May 2016

Got a letter from virgin on Friday another price increase, 33% this time … Got a letter from virgin on Friday another price increase, 33% this time around. So in the last 2 years I have seen my tariff incease over 50%, I guess they are trying to force existing customers off their ulimited data packages as everyone on their capped data packages are getting a 1.6% increase in line with rpi. Not sure what to do, its only 3g but I get unlimited calls, text, and data along with free 08 numbers for £12.50 a month after the price increase.

I beat you. £3pm increase on £6.50 - 46%. They are taking the pee because they know we still can't get cheaper.

I beat you. £3pm increase on £6.50 - 46%. They are taking the pee because … I beat you. £3pm increase on £6.50 - 46%. They are taking the pee because they know we still can't get cheaper.

Yup, same here. Mines gone from £5 to £6.50 to now £9.50. They can get away with it because it's still the cheapest. Got two contracts with them with a £3 increase for both. Still, can't complain at unlimited everything for less than £10.
Try the cancellation trick, not with them now signal issues but when we went to leave they reduced the price was actually told by the girl that they have unadvertised deals for customers and never pay the full price.
I think ill give them a ring tomorrow when their retention team are back in work, its more principal than price, £12.50 is still very competitive for unlimited everything however its hard to take a 50% increase in 2 years, cant see how they can justify it. If none of us stand up they will just adding the 30% plus increases each July. At least if i move provider ill get 4g and hopefully free roaming for couple of quid more and only be subject to rpi increases annually going forward.

Yup, same here. Mines gone from £5 to £6.50 to now £9.50. They can get aw … Yup, same here. Mines gone from £5 to £6.50 to now £9.50. They can get away with it because it's still the cheapest. Got two contracts with them with a £3 increase for both. Still, can't complain at unlimited everything for less than £10.

Agreed, it just feels like they know we won't move just yet and they are pushing it as much as they can.

Agreed, it just feels like they know we won't move just yet and they are … Agreed, it just feels like they know we won't move just yet and they are pushing it as much as they can.

Exactly. Another couple of price hikes and then moving is a option and they know it so would offer deals. Mines still under £10 for unlimited everything. Nothing comes close so for now will stay.

I think I'll start to monitor my data usage so I have an idea how much I use. Having unlimited everything just made me ignore how much I actually used X)
Well checked my data usage for the last 6 months and not gone over 10gb once. Went to 9gb once but that was because I was away from home for a few days. Otherwise I I average about 4/5 gb per month which ain't bad. Will have to keep an eye out for deals and if summat for 10gb on 4g comes along, might jump the Virgin ship after all these years.

Well checked my data usage for the last 6 months and not gone over 10gb … Well checked my data usage for the last 6 months and not gone over 10gb once. Went to 9gb once but that was because I was away from home for a few days. Otherwise I I average about 4/5 gb per month which ain't bad. Will have to keep an eye out for deals and if summat for 10gb on 4g comes along, might jump the Virgin ship after all these years.

Well, one week after the notification of the £3 price hike, I now get a letter saying that from 1st July they will no longer be offering unlimited data and they are moving me to a 1GB tariff. Looks like it's goodbye now.

Virgin contracts are freestyle contracts, the Airtime contract is … Virgin contracts are freestyle contracts, the Airtime contract is separate to the phone finance agreement, so your airtime is a rolling 30 days contract. just ask to cancel your airtime contract.

I'm not sure it that's for me hari? It was just a sim only contract.

Edited by: "deeky" 2nd Jun 2016

Well, one week after the notification of the £3 price hike, I now get a … Well, one week after the notification of the £3 price hike, I now get a letter saying that from 1st July they will no longer be offering unlimited data and they are moving me to a 1GB tariff. Looks like it's goodbye now.

Seriously? Wtf? Well not looking forward to the postie coming round now with a Virgin letter. Sad times.

Well, one week after the notification of the £3 price hike, I now get a … Well, one week after the notification of the £3 price hike, I now get a letter saying that from 1st July they will no longer be offering unlimited data and they are moving me to a 1GB tariff. Looks like it's goodbye now.

Let me know if you find anything decent deeks.

Let me know if you find anything decent deeks.

He said the letter was a 'high user letter' although there was no mention of excessive usage on it. He said my (son's) 3.5gb average usage was excessive oO So if that's right, watch your letterbox X)

http://s33.postimg.org/ouuctb9fz/virgin_mobile.png

He said the letter was a 'high user letter' although there was no mention … He said the letter was a 'high user letter' although there was no mention of excessive usage on it. He said my (son's) 3.5gb average usage was excessive oO So if that's right, watch your letterbox X)

Wow. You got done for only using 3.5gb....in today's terms, I'd say anything under 5gb is normal, dare I say it even 10gb a month is normal.

Bloody depressing now.

He said the letter was a 'high user letter' although there was no mention … He said the letter was a 'high user letter' although there was no mention of excessive usage on it. He said my (son's) 3.5gb average usage was excessive oO So if that's right, watch your letterbox X)

Like I said deeky, keep me posted on any good value deals. Hint, we're on the right site to find summat anyway X)
There always has been a 3.5gb cap on all virgin unlimited tariffs whereby speeds are reduced to 2g should you exceed this cap, however Virgin have been fairly laid back about it and never enforce the cap and instead look at usage patterns over a few month period, I don't exceed thge cap but friends regularly do and don't get hit, this seems to be changing and I can understand why to an extent, some people are simply abusing the tariff by using 20gb+ per month, even heard of people Downloading torrents and other file sharing using their mobile network.
Deeky to have a letter like this you have either previously had a text or letter warning of your excess usage or you have in a single month been excessivly tethering or downloading large amounts, this is not a standard letter from virgin and to offer you to keep a phone if in contract tells me they really want you off this tariff. I may be wrong and we'll all be getting one shortly, but I only use a max 2gb per month and have never gone over 3gb in 5 years of having the unlimited package. So will be interesting to see if anyone else gets a similar letter.

I had an unlimited contract for my daughter which is sim only, it was … I had an unlimited contract for my daughter which is sim only, it was initially 12 months but now a rolling 30 days, she gets unlimited data and uses at least 5 - 6 GB a month, i've never had a warning or a letter. she never told me of a text either.

If you don't mind me asking how much do you pay for your unlimited tariff per month

Well it started 2 years ago at £15.00 then went up to £17 and now its £ … Well it started 2 years ago at £15.00 then went up to £17 and now its £19.00 but I asked to cancel and they give it me now for £16.00 a month. unlimited minutes, texts and data.

At that monthly cost and the amount you use you'll probably be ok as your still profitable for them, and broadly in line with their new tariffs, some guys on here are only paying about £6-£8 a month for unlimited everything and using 10gb plus per month, these are the people they are removing the tariff.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants