Expired

Virgin mobile stealing money : Advice please

Found 18th Jul 2011
Apologies for the big block of text that follows but i would like to explain the full story.

It all started about a year ago, I was on about the 6th month of an 18 month contract with virgin mobile and i noticed i was being charged between 10 - 30p each month for internet even though I am on the unlimited package. This was also happening to my friend who got the same contract at the same time. I thought it wasnt worth the hassle of ringing up and complaining over a couple of pence so i left it.

A couple of months before my contract is up i phoned them to see if i can get an upgrade. They couldnt offer me any better than one i found and when they asked if i had any other questions I mentioned about this money being taken out my account for Internet access on the last day of every month. It turns out they were adding my minutes and texts one day and my internet package the next and any data used between then I was being charged for. They said they would refend my money.

I then asked how they would ensure it would happen again. I was passed around departments for a while until I ended up with someone who admitted she had come across this issue before and by putting me on another package it would sort the issue.

I cancelled my contract with them as soon as i could give my 30 days and got a new contract else where.

I then get an email from virgin saying that my last bill was due to be taken out in a few days but the charge was double what it should be (£51).

I phoned customer services who advised this was an error on their part and that when they put me on the new package to sort the orginal issue they had added it twice. I told them i couldnt afford for the extra money to be taken out my account. I was assured by the customer support that he had filled in a form and it wouldnt be coming out my account.

I wasnt convinced by the phone call so I emailed a complaint about the first instance of theft from my account and the attempted second instance. I also said in the email then that I would take further action if the money was taken.

Yesterday I got a phonecall saying they recived my complaint and asking if the money had been refunded. Untill that point i didnt know it had been taken but sure enough i checked my account and the £51 has been charged. I was assured that I would get a refund after 10 days. I wasnt allowed to speak to a supervisor and they acouldnt get the money back to me any quicker.

I am not conviced they will refund me but I'm not sure what to do next. I am just gobsmacked that a company like this can take money from people as and when they please.

Sorry again for the mass of text but any help is appriciated.
Community Updates
31 Comments
Virgin billing department are a bunch of muppets. Make sure you get it in writing and they should also refund any banking charges that may have occured.

I think you should cancel any direct debit you have with Virgin that will prevent them doing this again.
Get in touch with your bank and explain the situation to them as above. They should do an instant reverse of the incorrect Direct Debit transaction. It'll then cost Virgin time and effort to sort it out.
contact your bank and get it pulled back? they did it for me with the AA after they charged me without sending a renewal..AA didnt do anything-refusing even to let me speak to a supervisor but the bank sorted it same day. And yes cancel the dd.
Will cancelling a direct debit affect my credit rating? because i will be after a mortgage very soon.
i doubt it will, are u still with virgin then? will there be an occasion when they go to take money genuinley owed to them and they cant get it due to you cancelling the DD?
kas1466

I think you should cancel any direct debit you have with Virgin that will … I think you should cancel any direct debit you have with Virgin that will prevent them doing this again.

how do you think they will process the refund if he does that?
Contact your bank. They will refund you the amount the same day, if it was taken by direct debit. Just cancelling it could affect your credit rating so try and sort it out before resorting to that.

The bank have an obligation to refund you if a company takes too much via direct debit.
thanks for the advice everyone I will see if my bank can get me my money bank
Cancelling your direct debit, wont effect your credit file. But if you dont pay the bill at all and they dont sort their mistake, they may register it as a default.

Are you sure that because you cancelled the contract they arent charging you your remaining months owed?

I.E if you cancelled in month 17, you would still owe month 17 and 18 of the agreement, hence the double final payment?

Yesterday I got a phonecall saying they recived my complaint and asking … Yesterday I got a phonecall saying they recived my complaint and asking if the money had been refunded. Untill that point i didnt know it had been taken but sure enough i checked my account and the £51 has been charged. I was assured that I would get a refund after 10 days. I wasnt allowed to speak to a supervisor and they acouldnt get the money back to me any quicker. I am not conviced they will refund me but I'm not sure what to do next.

Surely the logical response is to actually wait the 10 days to see if they refund you?
Virgin media has horrible customer service.

It got so bad that I now have my own account manager and this works well.
Run this by me again - how was it stolen?
dimebars

Run this by me again - how was it stolen?

taken without his permission?
dcx_badass

It's called an error not theft. Lol.

The "error" was reported to them but they took the money anyway which in my eyes is theft
dcx_badass

It's called an error not theft. Lol.

Said the MP filling out his expenses.
Makes me laugh how companies take money quickly enough but when found to be in the wrong they can take 10 days to refund !!! No excuse now with modern day banking ..
fluffyundacrakas

Surely the logical response is to actually wait the 10 days to see if … Surely the logical response is to actually wait the 10 days to see if they refund you?

As I mentioned before i have had experience of them saying they will sort it and then not doing anything. I dont want to have to wait even longer for my money just because I spoke to another customer support worker that cant be bothered to do their job.
What date was the £51 taken from your bank account?

What date did you contact them (by either phone or email) asking for the £51 to be refunded?

What date did they contact you telling you they will refund you your money within 10 days?
Theft is dealt with by the police, not the bank.
I you don't think it's a police matter, then it's not theft.
thesaint

Theft is dealt with by the police, not the bank.I you don't think it's a … Theft is dealt with by the police, not the bank.I you don't think it's a police matter, then it's not theft.

I would probably have contacted the police had it been a larger sum but I am against wasting police time over this amount of money.
Edited by: "Leech" 18th Jul 2011
fluffyundacrakas

What date was the £51 taken from your bank account? What date did you … What date was the £51 taken from your bank account? What date did you contact them (by either phone or email) asking for the £51 to be refunded? What date did they contact you telling you they will refund you your money within 10 days?

4th July (am) - Recieved email saying that I owed £51 and it would be taken out of my next bill
4th July (pm) - Called customer service to say this is wrong. They agreed and assured that it wouldnt get taken out.
4th July (pm) - Emailed complaints to say i wasnt happy at the service I had recieved and to clarify again that this money should not be taken from my account.
11th July - Money taken from my account
17th July - Virgin mobile ring responding to my email to ask if I had been refunded yet. Advised I wasnt aware the money had actually been taken, checked online statement and it had. Advised to wait 10 days.
Leech

I would probably have contacted the police had it been a larger sum but I … I would probably have contacted the police had it been a larger sum but I am against wasting police time over this amount of money.

Mate, its not a problem the police would deal with.

It would be the bank. If they have taken the payment via direct debit, then you are protected by the direct debit guarantee (google it). That will have all your rights on there.
feel for you , virgin are cwunts when it comes to things like this - make sure you stay on them and get your money back - make a note of the name and time you speak to people on the phone and get them to email you anything that is confirmed in word, good luck
thesaint

Theft is dealt with by the police, not the bank.I you don't think it's a … Theft is dealt with by the police, not the bank.I you don't think it's a police matter, then it's not theft.

rubbish, the law doesn't go on what people think, it goes on facts.
If someone stole a 99p item from my shop, just because I wouldn't call the police does that mean its not theft?
colinsunderland

rubbish, the law doesn't go on what people think, it goes on facts.If … rubbish, the law doesn't go on what people think, it goes on facts.If someone stole a 99p item from my shop, just because I wouldn't call the police does that mean its not theft?

Sorry, maybe I worded incorrectly, or you are deliberately misunderstanding.
I am asking the OP, and those to consider if this is a police matter. If not, why not?

Your 99p item is theft, theft has nothing to do with value.
thesaint

Sorry, maybe I worded incorrectly, or you are deliberately … Sorry, maybe I worded incorrectly, or you are deliberately misunderstanding.I am asking the OP, and those to consider if this is a police matter. If not, why not?Your 99p item is theft, theft has nothing to do with value.

Its not a police matter as the value is low, and now police don't deal with a lot of bank stuff, unless the banks ask them anyway.
If its reported to the police they should investigate as with any crime, but they won't. Bit like scammers on here - as soon as you go to the police, 99 times out of 100 they say its a civil case - whereas what they mean is, we can't be bothered to do it
colinsunderland

Its not a police matter as the value is low, and now police don't deal … Its not a police matter as the value is low, and now police don't deal with a lot of bank stuff, unless the banks ask them anyway.If its reported to the police they should investigate as with any crime, but they won't. Bit like scammers on here - as soon as you go to the police, 99 times out of 100 they say its a civil case - whereas what they mean is, we can't be bothered to do it

I am not sure which scenario you are talking about.
The direct debit, the 99p item, or both?

either
colinsunderland

either

So at what value would the consider a direct debit taken mistakenly as theft?
none is theft as you gave the access to take money from the account
you just need to get the bank to sort it under direct debit guarantee
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants