Expired

virgin mobile text limit

Found 21st Aug 2013
Hi everyone, never knew this before until I saw my bill goneup & I called the virgin customer services, I was told about the picture messages which I never sent, they told me its when you go above 160 characters in your sms they will convert it into picture messages which will be charged from the account. I never knew this before. So wanted to know is this with every other mobile network or only with virgin. Although the nice lady refunded that amount as I did not knew before but she told that I have to be very careful in the future not to exceed these characters.
Community Updates
15 Comments
Does that with any phone, most newer phones actually prompt you on screen saying its changing to mms from sms.
Edited by: "dbhoy" 21st Aug 2013
Wt she have said was the characters and not the picture message. She said when u go over 160 characters per sms they will be charge as picture message. So I need to be careful from not going over 160 charactets per sms......
Assuming you are using a Droid (can't speak for an iPhone as it's been an age since I had one and I can't remember):

In your settings of your messaging app there should be an option to split texts when they reach 160 characters. I think CDMA networks have a text size restriction on them, so it's usually used for this. I've never heard of a UK network operator charging for an SMS that's greater in length than 160 characters as an MMS instead though. I don't think O2 or 3 have ever done that to me.
V[quote=rick77]Assuming you are using a Droid (can't speak for an iPhone as it's been an age since I had one and I can't remember):

In your settings of your messaging app there should be an option to split texts when they reach 160 characters. I think CDMA networks have a text size restriction on them, so it's usually used for this. I've never heard of a UK network operator charging for an SMS that's greater in length than 160 characters as an MMS instead though. I don't think O2 or 3 have ever done that to me. quote]

well I have got s3 and my wife is using 4s. My concern is that is it only virgin or all networks have a limit of characters in onesms.
Edited by: "sweetwishis" 21st Aug 2013
Think it's when you go over 3 texts (480 characters), at least it is on vodafone. If its 160 characters on Virgin, that's one for me to avoid (for future reference)
Edited by: "Johnboy_1975" 21st Aug 2013
sweetwishis

V[quote=rick77]Assuming you are using a Droid (can't speak for an iPhone … V[quote=rick77]Assuming you are using a Droid (can't speak for an iPhone as it's been an age since I had one and I can't remember):In your settings of your messaging app there should be an option to split texts when they reach 160 characters. I think CDMA networks have a text size restriction on them, so it's usually used for this. I've never heard of a UK network operator charging for an SMS that's greater in length than 160 characters as an MMS instead though. I don't think O2 or 3 have ever done that to me. quote] well I have got s3 and my wife is using 4s. My concern is that is it only virgin or all networks have a limit of characters in onesms.

Well that was the original character limit for an SMS years ago. I was always under the impression these days that if I sent 161 characters on one message then I was just charged for 2. I don't believe I have ever been charged at an MMS rate instead by my network personally. it's a little hard to say though as I have 5000 texts a month which I never fully use and a certain amount of MMS thrown in too. Most of my messaging is done via Whatsapp and Hangouts so this obviously doesn't apply there.

If Virgin have told you this is the case for you then I guess you'd better pay attention. Just split your messages by enabling the setting (or at least a warning) in whichever messaging apps you use. Better to do that than receive a huge, shock bill!
My point to virgin was if I have a contract with everything unlimited incl. Text. Mints. Data why will they put this limit on sms. Or perhaps its because I took their £15 sim only contract with everything unlimited. And that they r trying to get more from my pocket. Also I would like to tell all those who got virgin to keep an eye on ur bills as I have got virgin broadband, landline, phone plus tv. I was given loyalty discount for staying with them for new contract bt realised the dscount was taken bck from virgin. When spoke to them and asked to explain they apologised bt this month I was charged the same amount again.
As per above comments, this setting can be disabled on the phone depending on the handset.
a feature of most phones now is the auto conversion of sms messages larger than 3 standard texts into an MMS message ..one used to be able to prevent auto conversion in messaging settings on older versions of Android OS..simplest way now is to download a third party messaging app like Handcent SMS and go into its settings and tick prevent auto mms conversion, also while you're in settings look for a setting to delay sms dispatch by up to 7 secs ..thus when you hit the send button , the message doesn't leave your phone until after the time stipulated ..good for correcting typo's you notice just after hitting the send button ..or if you change your mind about sending a message and wish to cancel it
I use Virgin and frequently send looooong texts (I'm incapable of doing the c u l8r thing....:p) and it only comes from my text allowance as however many messages I've used. In saying that, I have a bog-standard non smart phone, maybe it's just more up to date phones that do this?
I have been with Virgin for 3 years now and never have I ever been charged for some of the epic texts I have sent. There must be some issue with your phone. I would head over to the forums at Virgin and ask some of the veterans who might know a little more.
I am with Virgin and had the same problem. When my phone goes over 3 texts it converts it. I didn't know so rang up when I saw extra charges and they told me after a certain length it converts it to MMS which costs. They wouldn't do anything about the charges or give me any idea of at what point it converts.

Problem with my phone is if you blink you miss the really small message telling you it's going to MMS and I can't find any way to turn it off.
its 5 texts i think on my g300 phone on tmobile that changes it to mms and you notice it clearly change to mms as the no of texts disappears and gets replaced with mms
for really long ones consider using whatsapp if the other person has it, no restrictions then

I am with Virgin and had the same problem. When my phone goes over 3 … I am with Virgin and had the same problem. When my phone goes over 3 texts it converts it.

That seems to be standard then - 3 texts, 480 characters. Wonder why the OPs is doing it after 160??
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions