Virgin Roulette - waiting for retentions call

Posted 10th Sep 2020Edited by:"EyeExpert"
So after rejecting initial offer over 3 weeks ago. Which I may come to regret. I have only till Monday to sort out contract.

BEEN with virgin since cable and wireless days. Loyal for 22 years.

I’m going to call up today. And just opt for 50 mb speed.

I may have gone too far asking for 100mb for £20. ??

I hate the power they have over us.
and lack of care. Did not send any end of contract notifications and so paid double for 2 months. £45

I may have to just sign contract at current best deal and be better prepared when inevitable price increase happens. in a few months time.

any options to force a call from the special team??

EDIT update - one retentions person hung up on me. Might have been accidental.

Eventually got told the initial offer was best offer extra £3 off lowest.
Guy sounded like Liam Neeson - “the price just went up”

best I could get
50 mb = £22
100mb = £28

I will attempt again tomorrow! When I’m in a better mindset. Or 24 hours for them to contact me.

***make sure your profile has update phone numbers from Outset and contact preferences

Msg on mine says 28 days to update now. Wtf ??
Community Updates
27 Comments
There are no increases till next year.
They have no power over you, always your choice for supplier.
Your contract you signed would of told you end date of offer as does every bill you receive shpws when discount ends.
Edited by: "fearona" 10th Sep
Can get 100meg for £27 with ease online.
Call this retentions number 0345 045 0592, tell them you had a missed call and blag them.
I heard that cables companies are just a dum pipe business. All they do is pipe data around. The money is in creating and selling content and running cables is costly and I can't help think they are digging in for every bit they can which is why it's hard to get a good deal.
Edited by: "wayners" 10th Sep
JizzKid10/09/2020 11:39

Can get 100meg for £27 with ease online.

That's what I'm on. Coming to an end in Nov so I've got virgin roulette waiting for me too. What fun.

Op, what did they offer you last?
EN1GMA10/09/2020 13:19

That's what I'm on. Coming to an end in Nov so I've got virgin roulette …That's what I'm on. Coming to an end in Nov so I've got virgin roulette waiting for me too. What fun.Op, what did they offer you last?

My £27 100mb ends in 20 days and they offered me same speed for same price, what have you guys been offered ?
Edited by: "Mark_Hickman" 10th Sep
Mark_Hickman10/09/2020 14:04

My £27 100mb ends in 20 days and they offered my same speed for same …My £27 100mb ends in 20 days and they offered my same speed for same price, what have you guys been offered ?

Nothing yet as my contract ends in Dec so I can phone within 30 days of the contract ending
Mark_Hickman10/09/2020 14:04

My £27 100mb ends in 20 days and they offered my same speed for same …My £27 100mb ends in 20 days and they offered my same speed for same price, what have you guys been offered ?

1st offer?
EN1GMA10/09/2020 14:46

1st offer?

Yes i didn't cancel, just called and said id like to give 30 days notice and they said lets see what we can offer and they said it will stay £27 for another 18 months
Mark_Hickman10/09/2020 14:54

Yes i didn't cancel, just called and said id like to give 30 days notice …Yes i didn't cancel, just called and said id like to give 30 days notice and they said lets see what we can offer and they said it will stay £27 for another 18 months

They might offer something better. Tbh, I don't mind paying Abit more for more speed. If they offered like £35 for 200 I'd take it
EN1GMA10/09/2020 15:00

They might offer something better. Tbh, I don't mind paying Abit more for …They might offer something better. Tbh, I don't mind paying Abit more for more speed. If they offered like £35 for 200 I'd take it

I had 200 for years, switched to 100 theres no difference its pointless for me and i have many many devices attached
Mark_Hickman10/09/2020 15:07

I had 200 for years, switched to 100 theres no difference its pointless …I had 200 for years, switched to 100 theres no difference its pointless for me and i have many many devices attached

True. 100 is more than enough. I've got some things attached via ethernet so that helps too with bandwidth.

I think I just want to see what 200 looks like
EN1GMA10/09/2020 15:15

True. 100 is more than enough. I've got some things attached via ethernet …True. 100 is more than enough. I've got some things attached via ethernet so that helps too with bandwidth.I think I just want to see what 200 looks like

Yeah i was hooked to the highest speeds for years until i tried to save money and realised i couldn't tell the difference

That's what I'm on. Coming to an end in Nov so I've got virgin roulette …That's what I'm on. Coming to an end in Nov so I've got virgin roulette waiting for me too. What fun.Op, what did they offer you last?

See edit in original post.
TIA for help so far.
fearona10/09/2020 11:40

Call this retentions number 0345 045 0592, tell them you had a missed call …Call this retentions number 0345 045 0592, tell them you had a missed call and blag them.

Just tried. no joy - The number has changed, typical virgin roulette.

Got offered for £26, ended up just taking it last month.
I bagged the £10 offer mentioned here in April but I’m getting it installed tomorrow
shef007210/09/2020 18:00

I bagged the £10 offer mentioned here in April but I’m getting it in …I bagged the £10 offer mentioned here in April but I’m getting it installed tomorrow

Is that virgin incompetence ? Or delayed installation or overlap.

unfortunately on my own with no one accessible. So new customer switch won’t work. ( unless someone got any genius workarounds)

think I might just have to bite the bullet today and pay what they want.
then play hard ball at inevitable increase in October.
41891112-OyGsj.jpgAbsolutely doable to have 100mbit for under 20 lol
mtsk11/09/2020 13:11

[Image] Absolutely doable to have 100mbit for under 20 lol

That's a good deal, did u ring up or can u cancel on webchat and hopefully get a better deal?
mtsk11/09/2020 13:11

[Image] Absolutely doable to have 100mbit for under 20 lol

More details of how this achieved appreciated. They called you?
I would love to have your powers of persuasion. Any tips.

And length of loyalty please.
are retentions opened over weekend??
Edited by: "EyeExpert" 11th Sep
So another attempt made. Spoke to Shawn.
persuading me not many ppl getting offers I’m getting.
£25 for 50 mb then then went to £22
£28 for 100mb and finally cheapest £24.99.
I can only give offers that visible on my screen. Can’t compare different accounts.

When told him about £19 from “friend” and said it was impossible.

I personally think female operatives are more sympathetic to any hardships suffered.

Should I keep trying again and again,
they are open over the weekend. Or give In.
Edited by: "EyeExpert" 12th Sep
I was going to try the live online chat on their website but it appears to have gone?
mel9911/09/2020 13:28

That's a good deal, did u ring up or can u cancel on webchat and hopefully …That's a good deal, did u ring up or can u cancel on webchat and hopefully get a better deal?

I've rang to cancel and declined offer they gave me.
Then week later they called me back (I didn't answer). Called them instead playing dumb that I had a miss call for that number.
They offered me 19 straight away

However year before that I've done exactly the same and had to haggle a bit saying that I don't care about speed and just want the price to be lower/same as competition
Final Update **** So I tried my luck again, my disconnection is on Monday. I could gamble no more.

Got through to call centre up north. same spiel about £22 for 50mbit. Best they could do.

told her my budget has to go below £20. went away to talk to manager. In the end I had to accept best offer of £19 for 50mbit. 100 mb was £27.
however she said Price is FIXED for 18 months with no rises. I hope there is no BS in t&c’s.

happy for now . Hope you all get through to better retention person. I would be relying too much on call backs during covid uncertainties due to resource priorities.

Imho ( calling weekends and up north Rep might have been a factor here. Good luck.
EyeExpert12/09/2020 18:49

Final Update **** So I tried my luck again, my disconnection is on Monday. …Final Update **** So I tried my luck again, my disconnection is on Monday. I could gamble no more. Got through to call centre up north. same spiel about £22 for 50mbit. Best they could do. told her my budget has to go below £20. went away to talk to manager. In the end I had to accept best offer of £19 for 50mbit. 100 mb was £27. however she said Price is FIXED for 18 months with no rises. I hope there is no BS in t&c’s. happy for now . Hope you all get through to better retention person. I would be relying too much on call backs during covid uncertainties due to resource priorities. Imho ( calling weekends and up north Rep might have been a factor here. Good luck.

Do you have a line rental or TV with your broadband? I just have broad band only no TV or line rental and I pay £41 a month and 100mb.
broadband only. I Stream everything and use Netflix, Disney plus .
So I stopped tv licence earlier this year in March.
news from sky on YouTube. It’s live

In theory I’m getting a loyalty discount from Virgin media for 23 years.
but in reality old customers are subsidising new customers.

If look at latest deals on broadband choices for new customers . It makes me angry.

@ mel99
i would consider renegotiating based on contract end or when they increase prices. Compare what else is out there. And ask others.
goodluck

money saving expert as a great guide.

moneysavingexpert.com/bro…nd/

p.s I spent 1/2 today and also rang back today to make sure FIxed and no price rises for 18 months new contract.

they also inevitably “ boost the speed” marketing tactics, so I’m fine with 50mbit for now. Marketing spin and hype.

the house always wins!
(5g might become a game changer.)

But at least for now , I don’t have to play for another 18 months.

good luck everyone.
Edited by: "EyeExpert" 14th Sep
Post a comment
@
    Text