Expired

virgin superhub / raspberry pi / static IP address help please !

Found 16th Feb 2013
Got my Pi up and running and got it controlled over wifi with android phone / ipad BUT

and this is really peeing me off now ...

The Virgin spuerhub keeps changing the wifi IP address of the Pi every few minutes - well almost so the phone / ipad remotes need to be reset.

I have tried reserving an IP address in the superhub menu but it does not work

I have tried reducing the DHCP range on teh superhub so the allocated IP address of the PI is now outside and therefore should not vhange but it does.

and I cannot see a way to set the wifi IP address in the PI menus - only the LAN IP address - but the super hub is not showing the PI as connected by LAN but it is - or should be. Surely it streams over LAN and not wifi

any ideas folks

thanks

EliTom

7 Comments

The Superhub is terrible, Much better off buying a router and putting the superhub in modem mode.

Original Poster

shauneco

The Superhub is terrible, Much better off buying a router and putting the … The Superhub is terrible, Much better off buying a router and putting the superhub in modem mode.

yep that is what I was wondering - I do have an old D-Link DIR-615 with DD-WRT on - maybe I will have to go that route if I can't find a solution ....

EliTom

phone tec support, might have to ring a few times to get the Scottish call centre. then they will set up the router from their end.I had a load of problems but after they did that it was fine.

Original Poster

alrebcon

phone tec support, might have to ring a few times to get the Scottish … phone tec support, might have to ring a few times to get the Scottish call centre. then they will set up the router from their end.I had a load of problems but after they did that it was fine.

OK - what do I have to ask them to do? Did you have a similar problem?

I guess if I could get them to set up non expiring leases that may work.

On the other hand they will just say it's an issue with the Pi - i.e. fall into the too difficult to do box !

EliTom

Original Poster

dcx_badass

Could you clarify what you're doing, one second you say the Pi is … Could you clarify what you're doing, one second you say the Pi is connected by wifi, the next second you say by cable.And the biggest thing, you don't even bother to tell us what OS is on the Pi, so I can't think how you expect help.

thanks dcx - you always have good answers

Pi is running Raspbmc

it is connected by both LAN (ethernet) and wifi

here is my connection list as of now !

should I have only wifi connected ?

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj99/elitom/superhub_zps8cf8930a.jpg

cheers

EliTom

Original Poster

dcx_badass

Right, that's better. Connect by cable only, it's much faster. In raspbmc … Right, that's better. Connect by cable only, it's much faster. In raspbmc go to programs, and chose the raspbmc settings, you can set a static IP there.

but surely wifi is needed to use ipad / android phone xbmc remote ?

I know I can set static IP address for cable connection but not for wifi

EliTom
Edited by: "elitom" 16th Feb 2013

Original Poster

dcx_badass

No, because it's still connected to the router, it doesn't matter how any … No, because it's still connected to the router, it doesn't matter how any of them are connected as long as it's on the same network, ditch the wifi and just use ethernet and use raspbmc settings to set a static IP.

I kew I could rely on you dcx - many thanks

will give it a go now

and I need not have spent £5 on a compatible wifi adapter !!!

EliTom
Post a comment
@
    Text