virgin superhub(lol) modem only mode query

Found 20th Aug 2012
hey guys

anyway know why in modem only mode my routers are not being recognised by the superhub?

when in modem only mode, the active port recognises the connection when i connect my laptop to it via ethernet but when I try to connect my devolo,netgear and apple routers, the port on the superhub stays amber and does not recognise the connection.

its weird cause when i wire it up directly to the laptop the port lights green but goes amber when connected to the routers.

even more weird is that when i tried it several months ago, even in superhub mode, i could connect a separate router via one of the ports and thus have two separate wifi hotspots without even going into modem only mode.

And now, even in modem only mode it wont recognise my routers.

any ideas? is it a settings issue on the superhub?
Community Updates
MiscRouterVirgin
39 Comments
restore SH to factory default, try it then and report back.
is it plugged in the far right port? think its labled "1"
king261

is it plugged in the far right port? think its labled "1"

logic fail...if the SH is in modem only mode and he would plug it into inactive port 2,3,4 he wouldn't be able to write this:

"when in modem only mode, the active port recognises the connection when i connect my laptop to it via ethernet"
yeah,its the furthest right port. just done factory settings and reset it but no joy. light still shows amber for routers but when i wire it to my laptop, its goes green straight away.

I know the routers are working 100%. the devolo is fron the N series and the other two are from the G series but like I said, when last tested about 2 months ago, it was all fine. I mean I could connect a extra router from the active port whist still in superhub mode thus had two active wifi hotspots.

and now, even in modem only mode it wont pick up my routers.

phoned virgin and they are saying the superhub is fine, must be my routers. argument ensued and they are sending me another superhub. it will be my third one....yay

in the meantime, what software version of SH are you running?
sorry to hijack, but I need to start this proccess too, i got the superhub last week, its awful, i am not sure if it is the settings or the actual hub capabilities. can i not get a new router that works as a modem and router but is better than the VirginSuperHub? or is it better to have a separate modem and router?
use it in modem mode with your own router, superhub is ok as modem (in most cases)

there's no point in you buying a separate new cable modem. own good router however, will make a huge difference over SH, especially if you're on 100MB service.

Edited by: "kunyk" 20th Aug 2012
superhub since having firmware upgrade is great as a router/modem, have 4 connections on it 24/7 all fast and no drop outs at all.
Daytrader

superhub since having firmware upgrade is great as a router/modem, have 4 … superhub since having firmware upgrade is great as a router/modem, have 4 connections on it 24/7 all fast and no drop outs at all.

do you have 100MB broadband?
No 60gig, but it max's me out all the same.
Edited by: "Daytrader" 20th Aug 2012
Daytrader

No 60gig, but it max's me out all the same.

60gig? ok then...you sure know what you're talking about.
60MB
Edited by: "Daytrader" 20th Aug 2012
Is there any way of knowing which firmware the superhub has? Ive had mine for 3 months and it drops out atleast 2 times a day
We were 'upgraded' to the Superhub a couple of weeks ago and we have dropping issues several times a day.
We never had any problems with our old one. It should be renamed the Superflop
manzi

Is there any way of knowing which firmware the superhub has? Ive had mine … Is there any way of knowing which firmware the superhub has? Ive had mine for 3 months and it drops out atleast 2 times a day

192.168.100.1 into browser.

I have the 100mb, and the hub was only installed last Thursday, (i am assuming that the software is up to date) and I am finding it quite inadequate. We have about 3-10 machines/devices, we stream and the kids are always on xbox live. I am getting dropped signals, the Xbox's are still lagging. My iPads speed checking at 19mb, another one is really struggling to connect at times. When the comps on ethernet I can clock up 104mb
Wireless its no better than before, it was bad beforehand that's why I upgraded.

I was thinking about a different joint router/modem as I am sick of wires and machines. But if I need a router I may as well invest in a decent on...any recommendations?
skellysgirl

I have the 100mb, and the hub was only installed last Thursday, (i am … I have the 100mb, and the hub was only installed last Thursday, (i am assuming that the software is up to date) and I am finding it quite inadequate. We have about 3-10 machines/devices, we stream and the kids are always on xbox live. I am getting dropped signals, the Xbox's are still lagging. My iPads speed checking at 19mb, another one is really struggling to connect at times. When the comps on ethernet I can clock up 104mbWireless its no better than before, it was bad beforehand that's why I upgraded. I was thinking about a different joint router/modem as I am sick of wires and machines. But if I need a router I may as well invest in a decent on...any recommendations?

amazon.co.uk/ASU…SK/

I'm waiting for one to appear on ebay, didn't buy one for £65 about a week ago and now regret it.

otherwise RT-N16 will do as well. you have to use superhub in modem mode.
Edited by: "kunyk" 20th Aug 2012
I am not really good at building tech stuff, and I don't mind paying for a decent router. We use/relay on the Internet so much nowerdays it's maybe worth paying for decent equipment. It's effectively the key to my media system, my work and keeping the kids and hubby occupied.
so you guys reckon its a firmware issue or that ive got a faulty superhub?

Like I said, tried it a few months ago and everything was working fine and now, apart from a wired connection, the active port will not recognise anything else..........
Hi dga

Yeah, the wired connection works fine with the active port recognising the connection. Will check out the IP later and let you know.

They're going to send another superhub anyway so will see how that goes. Also I've noticed that all my wireless devices are playing up for the past few days when connected to the virgin wireless.

Phones keep on disconnecting and laptop takes about 15 minutes to recognise the wireless. And that's been happening for the past few days so it's no coincidence. All the devices work fine when I've tested them elsewhere in my friends and families homes.
Hey dga

What should that fix? The connection dropping issues?
hey dga,

ive set the security from auto to wpa2-psk[aes] so im hoping that will stop the constant flicking off of the wifi from the devices.

the router not being recognised is still a issue.....
Superhub is really poor and everyone seems to suffer the same wifi issues, Including me, I bought a cheap Belkin router and set Superhub to modem mode, Works fine, loads of devices connect to it no problem.

It's my second Superhub as the first one got crippled with a recent firmware update lol, They really are terrible but Virgin know about the issues.

You can improve the signal by changing the channel and switching from dual band to single and changing the encryption to something else etc..

Much better using your own router though.
hi dga

the flicking of the wifi has sorted itself thanks to your advice. the lack of conection to a router is still a problem though they have sent me a replacement superhub so will be trying that sometime over the weekend.
right, ordered another supuerhub, and then spoke to guy called kyle who was based in the UK and he was very helpful, but ultimately could not sort out the issue of the active port not picking up my router.

Weve figured out though that the issue is with my routers ip address.

I got to network settings for the devolo router and it gives the ipv4 address as 169.254.92.92 which according to the virgin tech guy is wrong. The virgin wireless is working fine but unlike 2 months ago when it was literally plug and play with the devolo(and my netgear and apple routers) it seems there is something wrong with the ip address linked to those routers and thats why the superhub is not picking up the routers.

when ive gone into the devolo configuration screen(softwares called cockpit), this is the ip address thats being shown 192.168.0.249 in one the config screens.

so all in all, im right confused.

any ideas how i can go about rectifying the situation?
Anyone know the the UK number for devolo helpline?
dga

I've never had the Superhub in modem mode but I would have thought that … I've never had the Superhub in modem mode but I would have thought that the wireless would be defunct and the IP address on the Devolo would be the WAN address (94.xxx.xxx.xxx)If the wireless is working in modem mode then there's routing going on surely, this defeats the point of modem mode.

Sounds a tricky one this, but I am thinking about it, the WAN wouldn't translate over to the router as the main ip which will always be 192..... on a router which shares cable connections. Is the superhub struggling to see a computer due to the dhcp trying to apply an ip address?

I don't use Virgin so I am not sure, but couldnt you use it as a normal router, disable the wireless and just connect the devolo to an ethernet port and go from there ? - have you tried disabling and enabling the dhcp?
I've tried the devolo with the superhub in modem only mode but even then the devolo would not be recognised. I'm going to have to give a call to devolo helpline and see what they say.

It's just peeing me off as a few months ago everything was working fine. It was just plug and play and now for some unexplainable reason, the ruddy thing is not working.

Ethernet port recognises they wired connection direct to the laptop but won't recognise any of the routers.
EN1GMA

I've tried the devolo with the superhub in modem only mode but even then … I've tried the devolo with the superhub in modem only mode but even then the devolo would not be recognised. I'm going to have to give a call to devolo helpline and see what they say. It's just peeing me off as a few months ago everything was working fine. It was just plug and play and now for some unexplainable reason, the ruddy thing is not working. Ethernet port recognises they wired connection direct to the laptop but won't recognise any of the routers.

Has the devolo been restored to factory by pressing the little button on the back of it?
aircanman

Has the devolo been restored to factory by pressing the little button on … Has the devolo been restored to factory by pressing the little button on the back of it?

Yeah, pressed the button for factory reset and everything starts flashing but the icon which shows the little house will not light up meaning the lack of connection between the superhub and the devolo router. Or atleast that's what I assume it to mean.
EN1GMA

Yeah, pressed the button for factory reset and everything starts flashing … Yeah, pressed the button for factory reset and everything starts flashing but the icon which shows the little house will not light up meaning the lack of connection between the superhub and the devolo router. Or atleast that's what I assume it to mean.

These are all cable routers yer? And did they previously work with your Virgin router/modem? If so I am thinking the SH needs booting.
dga

I've never had the Superhub in modem mode but I would have thought that … I've never had the Superhub in modem mode but I would have thought that the wireless would be defunct and the IP address on the Devolo would be the WAN address (94.xxx.xxx.xxx)If the wireless is working in modem mode then there's routing going on surely, this defeats the point of modem mode.

No, the WAN Address is your layer 3 outside address which is what all your client devices are NAT'ed behind regardless of the mode you put the router in.

any 169.x.x.x address is a DHCP time-out address given to the NIC by itself, which means the client has failed to obtain an IP address.
dga

That's so ghey :(Is this a feature of the Superhub because I seem to … That's so ghey :(Is this a feature of the Superhub because I seem to remember (back in DOCIS 1 days) the WAN address being presented direct to the client?

nah, networks 101, WAN address is always NAT'ed, its the IPv4 solution to stop from running out of addresses when connecting unknown networks
dga

My desktop IP address on Telewest was always 77.xxx.xxx.xxx on DOCIS 1 … My desktop IP address on Telewest was always 77.xxx.xxx.xxx on DOCIS 1 (SB3100)

that's the software showing you your WAN address, if you connect another device it won't get another 77.x.x.x address
dga

That's correct as its not NAT'd, you are public.

It is NAT'd, run cmd and ipconfig you will see

DOCIS 1 modems are managed via IP, the WAN address.

Edited by: "Alfonse" 28th Aug 2012
dga

A 77.xxx.xxx.xxx address is NAT'd?

any IP Address can be NAT'd,
just a update guys, after a virgin guy came out and having had a long talk with the devolo tech guys, its sorted!!!

I now have my devolo router working from the back of my superhub so ive got two wireless signals.
dga

So it's not in modem mode then?

Hi Mate

nope,its not in modem only mode. The virgin wireless is working seperately and so is the devolo. Its perfect now, we use the virgin address for downstairs and switch to the devolo for upstairs if we are going to use the internet for streaming any programmes or downloads.

all in all, in works all hunky dory now. many thanks to all who helped in the thread.
The result is all that matters, congrats!

I use the same system too but have the kids on the Devolo AP, if they don't do their homework I can switch them off
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants