Groups

Virgin to suspend illegal downloaders

Banned
    Five months after abandoning plans to launch a service that would legalise P2P music traffic, Virgin Media (NSDQ: VMED) has finally gone public with the replacement - a new subscription bundle offering streaming and even download of an unlimited number of tracks.

Virgin confirmed to us that the new service will use DRM-less MP3s. Just like Sky, which trailed a new all-you-can-eat music service in February, Virgin is using Universal Music as a stalking horse - the label is so far the only taker for both services. But Skys service is so far vapourware and Virgin hasnt put a launch date beyond later this year; Virgin is negotiating with other UK major and independent music labels and publishers to ensure it can offer a complete, compelling catalogue by the time it launches. There will be an entry package offering a limited number of tracks, but the whole repertoire on the top package will cost less than the price of two albums, we understand.

Clearly designed to coincide with Tuesdays Digital Britain announcement, Virgin also says it will implementing a range of different strategies to educate file sharers about online piracy and to raise awareness of legal alternatives. The company told us that will range from an extension of the letter-writing campaign trialled by ISPs and labels last year, under Universals auspices, to a temporary suspension of internet access ... as a last resort for persistent offenders. Its a carrot-and-stick approach, designed to force people away from illegal downloading and toward its pay-for package.

Virgin says this will involve no networking monitoring or interception of customer traffic by Virgin Media - so how will it know who to act against? As in last years trial, monitoring will be done by the label, using third-party tools designed to track P2P transfers. Frances constitutional court last week blocked the proposed three strikes law, so wont this require UK legislative reform? Unlike the French bill, Virgins actions would include suspension but not disconnection, a spokesperson told me. The measure could be anything from a few minutes to a few hours.

Virgin calls this a world first. In fact, Denmarks TDC ISP already operates an unlimited music bundle but, unlike Virgins, its DRM-protected. It takes a brave label to offer its entire repertoire without protection through a monthly sub - but, with the industry itself admitting 95 percent of the worlds downloads are illegal, at least this way it may get to monetise some music consumption thats not currently being paid for. Unclear at this stage - what kind of split Virgin gives Universal, whether Universal holds a stake in the new service, as it does with BSkyB.

31 Comments

Original Poster Banned

use our paid service or we ban you

well suspend you.....

How long before Vrigin goes into Administration ?

I just want virgin to stop throttling speeds (esp when you cannot even get the 50mb connection yet)

Who needs a 50mb download speed that downloads legally?

What is there to download legally that requires this capacity?

Banned

it aint gonna happen.

did anyone ever get a letter last time?

and dont most people encrypt their p2p activity anyway so they wont have a clue.

Original Poster Banned

i lol at the people complaining at not getting the advertised speeds so they can dl illegal material

apparently its the companies that own the material that will monitor this then report to virgin who will suspend you

People are seriously stoopit if they think it's a good idea to pirate music, movies, and TV shows via the services of a company whose income largely comes from selling those same albums, films, and TV shows via their other branches. Do they really think that they aren't going to notice what they're doing, and find some way to stop them and make them pay?

Original Poster Banned

dxx;5495536

People are seriously stoopit if they think it's a good idea to pirate … People are seriously stoopit if they think it's a good idea to pirate music, movies, and TV shows via the services of a company whose income largely comes from selling those same albums, films, and TV shows via their other branches. Do they really think that they aren't going to notice what they're doing, and find some way to stop them and make them pay?

its only a suspension.....not banning

virgin record stores were sold a long time ago and they were run into the ground aka zavvi

pressume this is what you meant

greg_68;5495525

Who needs a 50mb download speed that downloads legally?What is there to … Who needs a 50mb download speed that downloads legally?What is there to download legally that requires this capacity?

To be fair here is a small list (of what I use)
    1. Streaming HQ music (no buffering or stuttering)
    2. Streaming movies
    3. Downloading stuff on psn (a few gigs each item)
    4. Online storage
    5. Linux distros (ok only once is 5 months but still)
    6. Online gaming (after a certain point it doesn't matter)

dxx;5495536

People are seriously stoopit if they think it's a good idea to pirate … People are seriously stoopit if they think it's a good idea to pirate music, movies, and TV shows via the services of a company whose income largely comes from selling those same albums, films, and TV shows via their other branches. Do they really think that they aren't going to notice what they're doing, and find some way to stop them and make them pay?

virgin media is still actually 'NTL' , ntl bought virgin mobile and with the sale came the rights to use the virgin branding on other products so ntl took advantage of it, nowt to do with virgin really :thumbsup:

csiman;5495527

it aint gonna happen.did anyone ever get a letter last time?and dont most … it aint gonna happen.did anyone ever get a letter last time?and dont most people encrypt their p2p activity anyway so they wont have a clue.

unless the copyright holder is also the original seeder , wouldnt suprise me if they resort to this entrapment

Virgin provide an incredibly crap service around here. I initially had their ADSL service, people said Cable was better. Now I'm on cable and there's still throttling daily, plus regular Internet downtime - and that's with absolutely no illegal downloads.

Will soon be cancelling my Virgin service and moving to UKOnline, who I had at uni, they provide an excellent service at the promised speeds.

is it illegal to download tv shows that were shown free (exc. TV license) on TV ?

ctuk;5495630

is it illegal to download tv shows that were shown free (exc. TV license) … is it illegal to download tv shows that were shown free (exc. TV license) on TV ?

I think the law regarding this is pretty vague in the UK.

As long as it is for personal use only I think you would be ok.

casparwhite;5495552

its only a suspension.....not banningvirgin record stores were sold a … its only a suspension.....not banningvirgin record stores were sold a long time ago and they were run into the ground aka zavvipressume this is what you meant

That + Virgin Records, the company's record label. Although, that too seems to have been sold, so nevermind that. Point still stands for the TV shows and the movies, though. Ditto, the point about people being seriously stoopt to download via a company who have a vested interest in you actually paying for your content. They know who you are. They know where you live. They know what you're downloading. You downloading a movie and not using their on-demand services loses them money. Ditto, a TV show and not one of their premium channels, or their TV service at all.

D'you really think that with all they have on you, and with all the money your activities aren't gaining for them, that they aren't going to be inclined to do something about it at some point?

ctuk;5495630

is it illegal to download tv shows that were shown free (exc. TV license) … is it illegal to download tv shows that were shown free (exc. TV license) on TV ?

Unless you or the place you're downloading from has permission from the copyright holder then it's illegal, even if they are shown or availible entirely free in another place.

kungfu;5495569

virgin media is still actually 'NTL' , ntl bought virgin mobile and with … virgin media is still actually 'NTL' , ntl bought virgin mobile and with the sale came the rights to use the virgin branding on other products so ntl took advantage of it, nowt to do with virgin really :thumbsup:

Isn't Virgin starting to make a lot of managerial decisions about the service, though? Things like net neutrality and the stuff about deep packet inspection to detect piracy, for example. Were NTL ever as vocally anti-piracy as Virgin have been?

Original Poster Banned

dxx;5495710

That + Virgin Records, the company's record label. Although, that too … That + Virgin Records, the company's record label. Although, that too seems to have been sold, so nevermind that. Point still stands for the TV shows and the movies, though. Ditto, the point about people being seriously stoopt to download via a company who have a vested interest in you actually paying for your content. They know who you are. They know where you live. They know what you're downloading. You downloading a movie and not using their on-demand services loses them money. Ditto, a TV show and not one of their premium channels, or their TV service at all. D'you really think that with all they have on you, and with all the money your activities aren't gaining for them, that they aren't going to be inclined to do something about it at some point?

its a conspiracy.......hide behind your couch and never leave the house

they are coming for YOU!

"the company"

Original Poster Banned

EndlessWaves;5495729

Unless you or the place you're downloading from has permission from the … Unless you or the place you're downloading from has permission from the copyright holder then it's illegal, even if they are shown or availible entirely free in another place.

yep and when you are talking american tvshows which are aired on pay tv etc....

illegal

greg_68;5495525

Who needs a 50mb download speed that downloads legally?What is there to … Who needs a 50mb download speed that downloads legally?What is there to download legally that requires this capacity?

Public domain movies are legal downloads BTW

Banned

Makes sense for Virgin to do this. Maybe illegal downloaders had some moral basis to do so when albums cost £12.99 or were loaded with DRM, but now that music is so cheap and things like Spotify exist, as well as increased competition I think they have no argument.

Same with films and videogames.

Banned

In the short term this will only affect people using unencrypted torrents, and to be fair anyone still doing that only has themselves to blame.

Even longer term its only likely to be torrents that they target due to the fact they can (in theory) bring criminal charges against torrent users as they are uploading too. Newsgroups, due to them being harder to use, not as many using them, and the fact the only remedy available to the copyright holder being a civil case, are likely to be last to get hit.

Banned

kungfu;5495569

virgin media is still actually 'NTL' , ntl bought virgin mobile and with … virgin media is still actually 'NTL' , ntl bought virgin mobile and with the sale came the rights to use the virgin branding on other products so ntl took advantage of it, nowt to do with virgin really :thumbsup:unless the copyright holder is also the original seeder , wouldnt suprise me if they resort to this entrapment

Spot on! So the copyright owner wont be able to report anyone to virgin unless people make that mistake.

Banned

MrBrightside1987;5495592

Virgin provide an incredibly crap service around here. I initially had … Virgin provide an incredibly crap service around here. I initially had their ADSL service, people said Cable was better. Now I'm on cable and there's still throttling daily, plus regular Internet downtime - and that's with absolutely no illegal downloads.Will soon be cancelling my Virgin service and moving to UKOnline, who I had at uni, they provide an excellent service at the promised speeds.

something wrong with your connection then. Probably had no more than a day or two downtime in the last 10 years. Throttling can be a pain so just restrict your download / upload speeds during the throttle monitoring times 10AM-3PM and 4-9pm

allyours.virginmedia.com/htm…tml

Banned

dxx;5495710

That + Virgin Records, the company's record label. Although, that too … That + Virgin Records, the company's record label. Although, that too seems to have been sold, so nevermind that. Point still stands for the TV shows and the movies, though. Ditto, the point about people being seriously stoopt to download via a company who have a vested interest in you actually paying for your content. They know who you are. They know where you live. They know what you're downloading. You downloading a movie and not using their on-demand services loses them money. Ditto, a TV show and not one of their premium channels, or their TV service at all. D'you really think that with all they have on you, and with all the money your activities aren't gaining for them, that they aren't going to be inclined to do something about it at some point?

On the contrary, I think people must be seriously stoopdt if they believe ISP's can decrypt encrypted downloads! :whistling:

FilthAndFurry;5495829

Makes sense for Virgin to do this. Maybe illegal downloaders had some … Makes sense for Virgin to do this. Maybe illegal downloaders had some moral basis to do so when albums cost £12.99 or were loaded with DRM, but now that music is so cheap and things like Spotify exist, as well as increased competition I think they have no argument.Same with films and videogames.

Video games are about £30 new and some are complete and utter ***** so i'm happy to pirate xbox360/pc games.. if games were cheaper when they first came out I might consider buying ones that got great reviews but often they are just over hyped garbage (Far Cry 2 for example)

All this talk of Piracy...
    Its not Piracy. That happens on the high seas. In this sense Piracy is illiegally copying something and selling it for profit.

This is file sharing :P

Original Poster Banned

rwm24;5497339

Video games are about £30 new and some are complete and utter ***** so … Video games are about £30 new and some are complete and utter ***** so i'm happy to pirate xbox360/pc games.. if games were cheaper when they first came out I might consider buying ones that got great reviews but often they are just over hyped garbage (Far Cry 2 for example)

or you could rent it

that my friend is not a reasonable argument for piracy

csiman;5496360

something wrong with your connection then. Probably had no more than a … something wrong with your connection then. Probably had no more than a day or two downtime in the last 10 years. Throttling can be a pain so just restrict your download / upload speeds during the throttle monitoring times 10AM-3PM and 4-9pmhttp://allyours.virginmedia.com/html/internet/traffic.html

If so then it's odd that it only happens to Virgin customers around here. I've spoken to neighbours and have similar issues - it is Virgins fault because there's been a few times I've actually rang and they've said "yup, we're working on it".

Throttling is a pain. I'm a web developer, I usually design and code websites on computer, and use the net only to upload and test. That uses very little bandwidth (websites are basically a few text files and images) - max 10MB/day, which doesn't deserve to be throttled. The times you've mentioned basically cover all day, which means if I want to work and browse I need to sleep all day and work all night which seems to be a rather ludicrous solution to dealing with an awful Internet service provider.

Note: I did mention "around here" in my original post, to specify that I was referring to the Virgin Broadband service near where I live and not generally around the country. Maybe they're good for you, but they sure aren't for me and the other customers "around here"

greg_68;5495525

It's just nice to have, there are plenty of large files around. Game demos can hit 2GB so a 50Mbit connection means a 5 minute download instead of an half an hour one.

rwm24;5497339

Video games are about £30 new and some are complete and utter ***** so … Video games are about £30 new and some are complete and utter ***** so i'm happy to pirate xbox360/pc games.. if games were cheaper when they first came out I might consider buying ones that got great reviews but often they are just over hyped garbage (Far Cry 2 for example)

That's no excuse, if you feel that they are overpriced on release the reasonable thing to do is to wait for them to come down in price.

Banned

MrBrightside1987;5497776

If so then it's odd that it only happens to Virgin customers around here. … If so then it's odd that it only happens to Virgin customers around here. I've spoken to neighbours and have similar issues - it is Virgins fault because there's been a few times I've actually rang and they've said "yup, we're working on it".Throttling is a pain. I'm a web developer, I usually design and code websites on computer, and use the net only to upload and test. That uses very little bandwidth (websites are basically a few text files and images) - max 10MB/day, which doesn't deserve to be throttled. The times you've mentioned basically cover all day, which means if I want to work and browse I need to sleep all day and work all night which seems to be a rather ludicrous solution to dealing with an awful Internet service provider.Note: I did mention "around here" in my original post, to specify that I was referring to the Virgin Broadband service near where I live and not generally around the country. Maybe they're good for you, but they sure aren't for me and the other customers "around here"

fair enough. seems like they have major issues 'in your area'

throttling should defo not be an issue for you though as you have to download 1500mb per day before they even start doing that :?
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. So Brexit isn't going how a lot of Brexiters thought it would1121
      2. I want to talk about the WEATHER no politics no religion19047140
      3. What would be HELL to you?2952
      4. Whoops SNP...Grenfell style cladding all over Glasgow33

See more discussions