Expired

Virginmedia early termination fees

Found 29th Apr 2014
hi guys. i had virginmedia at my old address for about 8 months but had to move out because the landlord decided to sell the property. long story short i wanted to take virgin in to my new home but they could not provide me with anything in my area so they had to disconnect my services and close my account. today i received the bill totaling almost 200 pounds with description "early contract termination fee". am i obligated to pay up?
Shared Via The HUKD App For Android.
Community Updates
17 Comments
hi guys. i had virginmedia at my old address for about 8 months but had to move out because the landlord decided to sell the property. long story short i wanted to take virgin in to my new home but they could not provide me with anything in my area so they had to disconnect my services and close my account. today i received the bill totaling almost 200 pounds with description "early contract termination fee". am i obligated to pay up?
Yes, basically.
fight with them.... don't accept it... yes you might b meant to pay it but even if you get something it's better than paying full cost... write an email to ceo is always a gd start....
Yep it will be in your contract which was probably 18months.

yeah i'll try and do whatever i can to avoid paying the fee because that's just wrong imo. ive been customer for about 3 years in total even had a loyalty discount..
yes you have to pay otherwise people could just basically phone up and pretend to be moving to an area not covered by virgin to get out of a contract.
i would be able to provide all the proof needed
I think in most cases it states in the small print that you have to pay the full contract if you move home.
No, you don't have to pay. I tell you why. You have been a customer with them for more than 3 years and now you have to move to a new house. You asked them to continue providing the services in your new home but they couldn't which is not your fault. If you have cancelled the services and not have asked them to continue it into your new home then yes, they can rightfully ask for the early termination fee but in this case, they cannot. Now, what to do:

1. Raise a complaint to their complaint team. They cannot deny to accept it and look into it (legally).

2. If they don't accept your views and don't cancel this ETF then ask them to send it by post confirming that they have resolved your complaint and cannot cancel the ETF.
3. Now you can raise the complaint with OfCom. This is the place where you can argue about the point I explained above and you will win it as you asked them to move the services to the new home but they couldn't due to their own reasons and not due to your fault.

PM me if you need any details about anything. I have got out of a contract when my provider had the same issue in my new house but they didn't charge me ETF when I explained them the above details saying that I want to continue my contract but you have to provide me the services you are or going to charge for. They couldn't argue much and cancelled it without any charges.

Good luck.
If you renewed your contract after the original 18months by agreeing on a cheaper rate or freezing the rate then you would still be under contract and liable to pay the fees, if your under no current contract then you shouldn't have to pay anything.
g33h1

No, you don't have to pay. I tell you why. You have been a customer with … No, you don't have to pay. I tell you why. You have been a customer with them for more than 3 years and now you have to move to a new house. You asked them to continue providing the services in your new home but they couldn't which is not your fault. If you have cancelled the services and not have asked them to continue it into your new home then yes, they can rightfully ask for the early termination fee but in this case, they cannot. Now, what to do:1. Raise a complaint to their complaint team. They cannot deny to accept it and look into it (legally).2. If they don't accept your views and don't cancel this ETF then ask them to send it by post confirming that they have resolved your complaint and cannot cancel the ETF. 3. Now you can raise the complaint with OfCom. This is the place where you can argue about the point I explained above and you will win it as you asked them to move the services to the new home but they couldn't due to their own reasons and not due to your fault.PM me if you need any details about anything. I have got out of a contract when my provider had the same issue in my new house but they didn't charge me ETF when I explained them the above details saying that I want to continue my contract but you have to provide me the services you are or going to charge for. They couldn't argue much and cancelled it without any charges.Good luck.

i'll take whatever chance i have. im currently using hukd app on my android. cant pm
thanks for your replies guys. i know legally i probably dont have a foot to stand on but thanks to those who encouraged me to at least try and gave me some tips on what to do next. much appreciated
did you renew a contract during htat time or not ? ie accept a discount when there was a price rise in order to start a new one and if so when
thats the key factor as to the advice people can give whether you have to pay or not
yes i negotiated two or three times after price rise so i probably got tied into a fresh contract. what makes me upset is that i actually wanted virginmedia in my new home but now i have to pay quite a sum for their inability to supply me with service.. a friend of mine lives across the street and has fibre lol. i'll try and negotiate if that wont work - ofcom, otherwise i'll just have to pay up because no way do i want my credit history to be ruined because of these money grabbing cun**. too bad there is no legal leg to stand on
their contract is to supply services at your old address, as long as you wish to continue being a customer the onus is on them to provide the services.
in the event they cannot - which they have stated they cannot - then the contract is null and void....

raise a complaint with virgin
if they do not accept to not charge you, take the complaint to DEADLOCK and as mentioned earlier go to ofcom.

it will cost them more than £200 to go to ofcom, and when it goes there you will win.

Where the customers wants the services, and the supplier cannot provide - the customer always wins.
Just remember that any dispute will be held on record so if you ever want to rejoin them should they become available in your area or you move house, they will tell you that you have to pay what you owe first.
Edited by: "SoullessMinion" 1st May 2014
cheers guys i think its worth a shot, not getting my hopes up though
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants