Expired

VirginMedia took too much money from my account but will only give me account credit NOT put the money back in my bank account!! What can i DO?

Found 2nd Jun 2011
As title really, they took £100 too much from my account, they appolgise but can only put it back in credit on my account, not back into my bank account..

Is there anything i can do?

My monthly bill is only 18.75 a month, seems like they are taking the pee thinking they can get over 5 months interest free credit (paying off the 100 @ 18.75 a month!)

Told them thats not good enough, but not sure what else i can do??
Community Updates
MiscVirginBank Account
17 Comments
WTF... Spoke to a manager?
phone them up and cancell your contract,say your moving to sky see how quick you get your money back
Direct debit guarantee.
Bs, i had a similar scenario a couple of years back.they charged me for ages for a box i didnt have, roughly 140 quid

They offered credit but obviously they succumbed to my charm and sent me a cheque, albeit it took 2 months to arrive.
im only 20 days into my new contract with them, had already cancelled last month, even had sky booked for an install, thats when they phoned me to beg me to stay, so im getting Unlimited 30mb broadband, free tv upstairs for kids, and evening an weekend calls and first 6 months free, the rest for 18.75 a month after,

hense why i stayed, but they made the mistake on my first bill, instead of crediting my account with the free 6 months, they added it all on at once!

when i got the bill through i was told to ignore it as my account was showing in credit, then, a few days later, the actual ammount on the bill STILL CAME OUT!!
Edited by: "DudeyGeeza" 2nd Jun 2011
As thesaint says, DD guarantee. Call your bank and ask that they pay the money back in to your account as this is part of the DD guarantee. Then change to Sky for the inconvenience.
thesaint

Direct debit guarantee.

pioneer181

As thesaint says, DD guarantee. Call your bank and ask that they pay the … As thesaint says, DD guarantee. Call your bank and ask that they pay the money back in to your account as this is part of the DD guarantee. Then change to Sky for the inconvenience.

i am just going to look up the terms, cheers
The direct debit guarantee applies to all banks and building societies taking part in the direct debit scheme. It says that:

if there is a change in the amount to be paid or the payment date, the person receiving the payment (the originator) must notify the customer in advance.

if the originator or the bank/building society makes an error, the customer is guaranteed a full and immediate refund of the amount paid.

customers can cancel a direct debit at any time by writing to their bank or building society.
DudeyGeeza

The direct debit guarantee applies to all banks and building societies … The direct debit guarantee applies to all banks and building societies taking part in the direct debit scheme. It says that:if there is a change in the amount to be paid or the payment date, the person receiving the payment (the originator) must notify the customer in advance.if the originator or the bank/building society makes an error, the customer is guaranteed a full and immediate refund of the amount paid.customers can cancel a direct debit at any time by writing to their bank or building society.

Yeah its called a chargeback, but i'm sure you only have 24 hours for your bank to do it immediately ........after that you will have to claim through the dd guarantee.
kk will check it out, cheers
Not sure if the DD guarantee will work, as you say they wrote to you and said they were taking that amount and that's what they did.
gavjbrown

Not sure if the DD guarantee will work, as you say they wrote to you and … Not sure if the DD guarantee will work, as you say they wrote to you and said they were taking that amount and that's what they did.

yes thats what the bill said, so of course i phoned em, but they assured me that my account was in credit, and to ignore it, so i checked my account online and it was a whole £9 in credit.. so i thought nothing of it..
When i had VM (TV) they did this to me - rung them up and put money straight back into my bank account
DudeyGeeza

yes thats what the bill said, so of course i phoned em, but they assured … yes thats what the bill said, so of course i phoned em, but they assured me that my account was in credit, and to ignore it, so i checked my account online and it was a whole £9 in credit.. so i thought nothing of it..

Unfortunately, in common with most communication companies, you can't believe a word they say. When I left them, I was sent bills for connection dates and calls AFTER I was already back with BT. Despite numerous calls, numerous further bills and admissions they had messed up, they finally told me they'd sorted it and I'd hear no more.

That part was true......until I found I was declined credit on an interest free loan because I bad debt had been lodged against me. Yup, you can guess who it was.

Now, even if they offered me free service, I'd decline. They are nothing short of criminals IMHO.

Good luck. ...... Just make sure each time you speak, you get the persons name, what was agreed and log the date and time. Those details can come in very handy when it gets too frustrating.
DD Guarantee will apply, the bank may be a little slower than "immediately" putting it back in to your account, purely because they need to establish that an error has been made before they perform the refund. The DD guarantee is unlimited as to amount and time, therefore there are no restritions as to how long you have to claim it back. One thing worth ointing out though that no one else has:

If you claim the money back through the DD guarantee you can only claim back the full amount paid (no partial refunds) this will then mean that you are in debt with VM for the ture amount owed, and will need to make an alternative arrangement to pay them. Also, getting a refund under the DD guarantee is nothing to do with your contractual obligations to VM, i.e. if you get a refund you will still be in contract and liable for any money owed up until the end of the contract period.
thanks,
I got the bank to refund and they did it immediatly, which was nice, then re-spoke to VM confirming that had been done and they had sorted my account for their mistake causing this, he then added £40 good will gesture to the account for the mess up..
Lets hope that next month the £40 is actually a credit and not added on again!! GRRRRR
Glad to hear that you got it sorted

Sorry, commenting is no longer available on this discussion.

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants