Virginmedia V6 sound issues

Posted 13th Feb 2019
hello

want to see if anybody experiences this and have you managed to resolve the problem

I own a LG 4k TV and I'm currently using the TV speakers for my sound output. everything works fine when I use my firestick through hdmi cable and even the sound works good when using the apps through the TV.

however once I start to watch a channel or recording through my virginmedia V6 box the sound just is horrendous. hard to explain but the sound just goes really bad and low

anybody else experiencing this?
Community Updates
Ask
21 Comments
in your audio settings on your virgin box what is the output set to perhaps its just down to a setting, maybe check its set to Dolby Digital to PCM

" To personalise your box’s audio settings:

Press Home on your remoteSelect Help & SettingsSelect SettingsSelect AudioThe settings you can change are:

Alternate audio
Some shows are broadcast with more than one audio track, like audio descriptions or language tracks. When alternate tracks are available, you’ll see the Audio Icon lit white in the Info Banner. The Default Audio Language setting lets you choose which audio language track is played out by default. The default setting is English.

Dolby Digital for HDMI output
Got a surround sound system? Use this setting to choose how your box will output sound. When your box is connected to your surround sound system, choose Dolby Digital. If your box is connected directly to your TV, choose Dolby Digital to PCM. This setting applies to both HDMI and optical out.

Sound effects
volumeIf you’d like to change the volume of your box’s sound effects (the sounds on your TV when you use the remote), or turn them off completely, you can do that here. The default setting is Medium. "
Edited by: "ding" 13th Feb 2019
ding6 m ago

in your audio settings on your virgin box what is the output set to …in your audio settings on your virgin box what is the output set to perhaps its just down to a setting, maybe check its set to Dolby Digital to PCM" To personalise your box’s audio settings:Press Home on your remoteSelect Help & SettingsSelect SettingsSelect AudioThe settings you can change are:Alternate audioSome shows are broadcast with more than one audio track, like audio descriptions or language tracks. When alternate tracks are available, you’ll see the Audio Icon lit white in the Info Banner. The Default Audio Language setting lets you choose which audio language track is played out by default. The default setting is English.Dolby Digital for HDMI outputGot a surround sound system? Use this setting to choose how your box will output sound. When your box is connected to your surround sound system, choose Dolby Digital. If your box is connected directly to your TV, choose Dolby Digital to PCM. This setting applies to both HDMI and optical out.Sound effects volumeIf you’d like to change the volume of your box’s sound effects (the sounds on your TV when you use the remote), or turn them off completely, you can do that here. The default setting is Medium. "

Hi mate. I have tried all of them settings previously and they are set to Dolby digital to PCM but still not made a difference
Edited by: "efc_4ever" 13th Feb 2019
Have you tried switching the V6/Firestick HDMI cables to check if you have a bad HDMI socket on the TV or even a faulty cable?

Edit - just realised the firestick won't have a cable - but still worth switching sockets and also try a different cable.
Edited by: "Van1973" 13th Feb 2019
Van19738 m ago

Have you tried switching the V6/Firestick HDMI cables to check if you have …Have you tried switching the V6/Firestick HDMI cables to check if you have a bad HDMI socket on the TV or even a faulty cable?Edit - just realised the firestick won't have a cable - but still worth switching sockets and also try a different cable.

I'll try switching the hdmi cables but I think the hdmi 1 slot has to be used for full 2160p which is why I use that for my virginmedia box for my 4k channels. But I'll give it a try

Just tried and still same sound through the V6 box
Edited by: "efc_4ever" 13th Feb 2019
Might be worth giving Virgin a call - 150 - press through for a Technical problem with the TV package. I've found them pretty good whenever I've needed tech help - they'll know if it is just a settings issue or perhaps a common fault with the box. Never had a problem with mine - just plugged it in and it all worked as it should!
The lg49uk6300 can enable 2 sockets for full 4k. I think it's called ultra 4k mode?

When I got my TV and did the Xbox test and it showed no 4k or HDR support I thought I had a dud TV lol until I did the above
smith2001uk12 m ago

The lg49uk6300 can enable 2 sockets for full 4k. I think it's called ultra …The lg49uk6300 can enable 2 sockets for full 4k. I think it's called ultra 4k mode?When I got my TV and did the Xbox test and it showed no 4k or HDR support I thought I had a dud TV lol until I did the above

Yes your right. No that's all setup correctly. Ye it took me a while to figure that out when I first purchased it. Think it's my V6 box
I've seen this many times before with LG TVs, it will be compatibility issue with the TV, if your able to plug another TV in to test you will know for sure.
I've seen this many times before with LG TVs, it will be compatibility issue with the TV, if your able to plug another TV in to test you will know for sure.
Ditto above, my V6 was completely incompatible with my lg, had to ask virgin to replace with the old box
AL1S0N25 m ago

Ditto above, my V6 was completely incompatible with my lg, had to ask …Ditto above, my V6 was completely incompatible with my lg, had to ask virgin to replace with the old box

Was ok when I had soundbar connected via optical cable but my little lad broke my subwoofer and I started using the speakers from the LG TV for the first time . Owned the TV for a year and never used the TV speakers before. Now the sound through my virginmedia channels is
Connect v6 to TV via an optical cable for audio, hdmi for video
chocci2 h, 4 m ago

That's a good idea. I'll give that a try. Didn't even see that it had an optical option on the box
Edited by: "efc_4ever" 14th Feb 2019
chocci14/02/2019 05:22

Just tried it. No difference. Changed TV sound settings to TV speakers only and then i changed to TV speakers + optical output and both sound exactly the same

Also tried setting the TV sound settings to
Audio out optical/hdmi (arc) but that produced no sound at all
Edited by: "efc_4ever" 14th Feb 2019
stevo610514/02/2019 07:19

Just tried it. No difference. Changed TV sound settings to TV speakers …Just tried it. No difference. Changed TV sound settings to TV speakers only and then i changed to TV speakers + optical output and both sound exactly the same Also tried setting the TV sound settings to Audio out optical/hdmi (arc) but that produced no sound at all

Then your only option is to request an older style vm box or get a new tv. The v6 seems to have big problems with certain LG tvs.
Maybe try a replacement v6 first though
Edited by: "chocci" 14th Feb 2019
chocci2 m ago

Then your only option is to request an older style vm box or get a new tv. …Then your only option is to request an older style vm box or get a new tv. The v6 seems to have big problems with certain LG tvs.Maybe try a replacement v6 first though

No worries I'll get onto them today
deleted254180
You got yourself an LG 4k tv

Invest in a decent soundbar.

When I got my LG (C8) it came with a soundbar LG SJ8 and it is amazing, wireless sub and sound phenominal.
deleted25418014/02/2019 07:41

You got yourself an LG 4k tvInvest in a decent soundbar.When I got my LG …You got yourself an LG 4k tvInvest in a decent soundbar.When I got my LG (C8) it came with a soundbar LG SJ8 and it is amazing, wireless sub and sound phenominal.

Buddy if you read my previous comments then you will see I did have an LG soundbar for the past year connected to my TV untill recently which is why at this minute in time I'm using the TV speakers

I'm glad your TV sounds phenominal if that's even a word
deleted254180
stevo610514/02/2019 07:43

untill

Is that even a word?

forget it mate, enjoy your telly sound
deleted25418014/02/2019 07:46

Is that even a word?forget it mate, enjoy your telly sound

Not the best reviews on Amazon. I'll give that soundbar a miss for £250
MrCollective19 h, 36 m ago

Comment deleted

I'll try swapping the hdmi cable and see if that makes a difference