Groups

Virgins outrageous price increases on 1st November.

How can Virgin or any other any company (like Sky) justify inflation busting price increases with inflation at virtually 0%.

Virgin notified me about my "free" speed boost from 50mbs to 70mbs and they are putting up my bb/line rental package by 10%.

Disgusting.

Sky are also making massive price increases as well.

The problem is there are only two distributors for ALL broadband/landline suppliers.

183 Comments

Switch to someone else then

Original Poster

chocci

Switch to someone else then

Virgin & BT are the only companies with cables into our homes.
    They both insist on us paying for phone line rental even if we do not have or need a landline .
    What options are we then left with?

Banned

Does this mean we can cancel?

i find sky broadband really cheap and very good value for money. so a big increase on a small cost i can live with. sky tv is what i have a problem with, extortionate already so even a small increase is bad.

HA HA HA HA you sound so shocked they're putting the price up. THEY DO THIS EVERY SINGLE TIME. I would be more shocked of they didn't.

YOU PAY DIRECTLY FOR THEIR NETWORK IMPROVEMENT rather than them actually invest their profits LIKE COMPANIES USED TO DO!

Original Poster

MrScotchBonnet

Yes

Original Poster

mutley1

i find sky broadband really cheap and very good value for money. so a … i find sky broadband really cheap and very good value for money. so a big increase on a small cost i can live with. sky tv is what i have a problem with, extortionate already so even a small increase is bad.

Not retired then eh?

landros1

Virgin & BT are the only companies with cables into our homes.They both … Virgin & BT are the only companies with cables into our homes.They both insist on us paying for phone line rental even if we do not have or need a landline .What options are we then left with?

Line rental is for the line including broadband , not just the phone. No idea why People still call it phone line rental when it obviously isn't.

Just change providers if you don't like the price. Also, Inflation is irrelevant to a company's capital expenditure costs.

MrScotchBonnet

Yes, within 30 days of notification, I'll be cancelling and no doubt getting the increase knocked off my bill as i always do,

Original Poster

The problem is with the monopoly commision is that there is only one (or in this case two.)

Banned

landros1

Yes

chocci

Yes, within 30 days of notification, I'll be cancelling and no doubt … Yes, within 30 days of notification, I'll be cancelling and no doubt getting the increase knocked off my bill as i always do,

Well this has improved my day somewhat.

landros1

The problem is with the monopoly commision is that there is only one (or … The problem is with the monopoly commision is that there is only one (or in this case two.)

the reason we pay so much for sky tv is that virgin doesn't provide tv to our house so sky is the only provider and they know this. they fleece you if there is no competition.

Original Poster

chocci

Line rental is for the line including broadband , not just the phone. … Line rental is for the line including broadband , not just the phone. No idea why People still call it phone line rental when it obviously isn't. Just change providers if you don't like the price. Also, Inflation is irrelevant to a company's capital expenditure costs.

If it is the same thing why do they not show it as one combined total price?
    Most of the compulsory costs of flights were forced to be shown as one total price.
    So what is different?

Get a NOW TV box get an ariel and a humax fvp then cancel Virgin tv, but keep b band. I did and saved...

Original Poster

mutley1

the reason we pay so much for sky tv is that virgin doesn't provide tv to … the reason we pay so much for sky tv is that virgin doesn't provide tv to our house so sky is the only provider and they know this. they fleece you if there is no competition.

Agreed,they are the only suppliers of Sky programs but there are many other less costly (and inferior) choices for tv/entertainment.

andrew08uk

Get a NOW TV box get an ariel and a humax fvp then cancel Virgin tv, … Get a NOW TV box get an ariel and a humax fvp then cancel Virgin tv, but keep b band. I did and saved...

​The new Now tv box has freeview HD built in on offer at argos atm as posted on this site ( not by me ) so I'm not taking any credit

landros1

If it is the same thing why do they not show it as one combined total … If it is the same thing why do they not show it as one combined total price?Most of the compulsory costs of flights were forced to be shown as one total price.So what is different?

No idea

You can get line rental down to £15.33 if you pay up front

store.virginmedia.com/the…tml

The problem is with BT Wholesale (Openreach). They own the lines that Mrs Thatcher gave them 35 years ago and have been milking line rental ever since. The management at BT seem to think that, sooner or later, Openreach will be hived off and the golden goose will be gone. So, they have diversified the business by investing the profits (line rental) in other areas (e.g. Premiership football broadcasting).

Virgin are really only competing with Openreach and, as long as BT keeps ramping up the line rental, so will Virgin.

It's probably time that the telephone cables were brought back into public ownership as, nowadays, they are every bit as essential to us as the roads. However, I don't think that is going to happen under the current government.

landros1

The problem is with the monopoly commision is that there is only one (or … The problem is with the monopoly commision is that there is only one (or in this case two.)

The Monopolies & Mergers Commission has not existed since 1 April 1999.

The problem I have with line rental is basically BT are charging us to run their line into our home so we can buy their services..

It would be like Gas/Leccy company charging us Electric Line Rental, or Gas Pipe Rental.

Its an outdated concept.

haritori

The problem I have with line rental is basically BT are charging us to … The problem I have with line rental is basically BT are charging us to run their line into our home so we can buy their services..It would be like Gas/Leccy company charging us Electric Line Rental, or Gas Pipe Rental. Its an outdated concept.

Gas and electric do charge you for the supply lines. It's called a standing charge. If you dont have that in your bill, you pay a higher unit rate to allow for it.

haritori

The problem I have with line rental is basically BT are charging us to … The problem I have with line rental is basically BT are charging us to run their line into our home so we can buy their services..It would be like Gas/Leccy company charging us Electric Line Rental, or Gas Pipe Rental. Its an outdated concept.

i am looking forward to the day when you don't need the BT line for broadband any more. we are paying for landline rental just to use broadband as we don't use the landline phone.

mutley1

i am looking forward to the day when you don't need the BT line for … i am looking forward to the day when you don't need the BT line for broadband any more. we are paying for landline rental just to use broadband as we don't use the landline phone.

Broadband still uses the line

Banned

mutley1

i am looking forward to the day when you don't need the BT line for … i am looking forward to the day when you don't need the BT line for broadband any more. we are paying for landline rental just to use broadband as we don't use the landline phone.

lol

chocci

Broadband still uses the line

i know, which is why i can't get rid of landline. it would be great if mobile data ever become fast enough and cheap enough so we could chuck broadband and just use mobile data.

mutley1

i know, which is why i can't get rid of landline. it would be great if … i know, which is why i can't get rid of landline. it would be great if mobile data ever become fast enough and cheap enough so we could chuck broadband and just use mobile data.

Well if you have access to Virgin cable you don't have to pay landline rental. The other option is satellite broadband.

The other option is communal BB. This works best in flats/apartment or townhouses. Pay for 200mb BB and say 9 access points and set a limit per access point. So 20mb BB costs (once setup cost removed) would be around £5 per month. Don't know of anybody who does this here but its done under the radar in Scandinavia.

chocci

Gas and electric do charge you for the supply lines. It's called a … Gas and electric do charge you for the supply lines. It's called a standing charge. If you dont have that in your bill, you pay a higher unit rate to allow for it.

I was under the impression that was for the meter, not the line, but I suppose its semantics and regardless its all outdated and ridiculous.

mutley1

i know, which is why i can't get rid of landline. it would be great if … i know, which is why i can't get rid of landline. it would be great if mobile data ever become fast enough and cheap enough so we could chuck broadband and just use mobile data.

Yeah would be good, but the problem with that is latency wouldnt be very good for gaming with.

They replaced that wholesale golden goose with EE's 4g network. Which should never have been allowed as it was the only viable competition.

RonChew

The problem is with BT Wholesale (Openreach). They own the lines that Mrs … The problem is with BT Wholesale (Openreach). They own the lines that Mrs Thatcher gave them 35 years ago and have been milking line rental ever since. The management at BT seem to think that, sooner or later, Openreach will be hived off and the golden goose will be gone. So, they have diversified the business by investing the profits (line rental) in other areas (e.g. Premiership football broadcasting).Virgin are really only competing with Openreach and, as long as BT keeps ramping up the line rental, so will Virgin. It's probably time that the telephone cables were brought back into public ownership as, nowadays, they are every bit as essential to us as the roads. However, I don't think that is going to happen under the current government.

haritori

See above, that could have been our way out.

What's all this about Sky putting their prices up? They haven't said owt to me yet.

OP you think that's bad? My Virgin mobile bill has gone from £5,to £6.50 to £9.50 to £18 in the space of 8 months.

Naturally I'm moving to another supplier.

the reason they are increasing is they say they are investing in new areas and technology which we can only wait and see what will happen there.

good thing is though with these increases is it allows you to get out of a contract and push for a bigger discount. if you complain to virgin and put in a cancelation they will give a reduction which can be more than the increase. We were on a deal which was a tenner off the normal price, price came to an end and put in the cancelation and got the call which offered a £15 discount so ended up paying less than we were paying before.

no one should pay virgin or sky full price, sky is even easier to get a discount from, in the last 14 years we have paid full price for about 5 months and with discounts up to 75% off never pay full price, at least not for long

Original Poster

andrew08uk

Get a NOW TV box get an ariel and a humax fvp then cancel Virgin tv, … Get a NOW TV box get an ariel and a humax fvp then cancel Virgin tv, but keep b band. I did and saved...

I do not want ,need or use a landline but i/we still have to pay line rental.

Original Poster

mutley1

Bring it on.

Original Poster

"It would be like Gas/Leccy company charging us Electric Line Rental, or Gas Pipe Rental.
    Its an outdated concept."
    It is called a standing charge.

Original Poster

GAVINLEWISHUKD

Well if you have access to Virgin cable you don't have to pay landline … Well if you have access to Virgin cable you don't have to pay landline rental. The other option is satellite broadband.The other option is communal BB. This works best in flats/apartment or townhouses. Pay for 200mb BB and say 9 access points and set a limit per access point. So 20mb BB costs (once setup cost removed) would be around 5.81€ (£5) per month. Don't know of anybody who does this here but its done under the radar in Scandinavia.

Very interesting.

Original Poster

fanpages

Unlike the almost total monopoly of home broadband.

landros1

The problem is with the monopoly commision is that there is only one … The problem is with the monopoly commision is that there is only one (or in this case two.)

fanpages

landros1

"Almost total monopoly"?

BT
    Sky
    Virgin
    Plusnet
    TalkTalk
    Post Office

landros1

The problem is with the monopoly commision is that there is only one … The problem is with the monopoly commision is that there is only one (or in this case two.)

fanpages

landros1

I think he means end user infrastructure. Either a BT or Virgin owned cable rather than who provides the product that travels along it.

But at the end of the day things go up in price. All we have to do here is find the best deal.

All the providers increase prices every few months, this is sadly nothing new. Plus net are doing it too in a month or so.

It works for all these companies because a lot of the customers won't bother calling to cancel or re-negotiate and take in the increase. If you call and negotiate you either will get the increase removed completely or use this towards getting a bigger discount.
    Edited by: "kiish" 19th Aug 2016

Yes they do it everytime they give you a "free" speed upgrade and I have to bend over and take it every time (I'm their b**ch).

Can't wait until we have more fibre options in our area as I will be going elsewhere as we do a lot of streaming and really need a speed of at least 20meg and they can't get that through copper wire the distance we are from the exchange.

Just glad we cancelled the TV years ago and have a Humax Freesat box.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Surprise! The HUKD Summer Flamedeer Hunt 2017 **OFFICIAL THREAD** (trading …5002469
      2. ❅☁☁❅ I want☼to talk☼about the☔WEATHER☔no politics☃no religion❅☁☁❅18846351
      3. GCSE Results day89
      4. Samsung Note 81118

See more discussions