Groups

virus help

Aaargh, think i have a virus! i had e mail said returned, virus reported as:
    Trojan-Downloader.Win32.Agent.bet
    Even tho i never sent the e mail! Any advise? Ive run my anti virus, but not picking it up?

Thanks x

32 Comments

Have a look at this:-
    ]http//ww…og/
    I'll search for a solution.

What 'protection' do you have already and what have you done to remove it?

I've read a few forums and spybot has worked for most:-
    ]http//sp…lJw
    I've had spybot for years.
    I'll keep looking.

dinosteveus

I've read a few forums and spybot has worked for … I've read a few forums and spybot has worked for most:-]http://spywarebot.com/?hop=congoman&gclid=CO-W14T-9IkCFTwHQgodpmtlJwI've had spybot for years.I'll keep looking.

ad-aware might also work cant be a huge virus as Symantec dont have it listed

Original Poster

Thanks guys - will have a try of these. I have Norton and have since downloaded Sophos to see if that gets it!

big_anth

ad-aware might also work cant be a huge virus as Symantec dont have it … ad-aware might also work cant be a huge virus as Symantec dont have it listed

It came online the 20th, so is pretty 'new'.

Sophos is my last resort if anything can Sophos Can (:

AVG all the way

big_anth

AVG all the way

Same here along with Spybot

[SIZE=2]Kapersky here is useful too: ]http//ww…=-3[/SIZE]

You could also scan your full system with this from microsoft, it`s worked for me a couple of times. microsoft.com/sec…spx

Also as some of the others have said use Spybot search & destroy and also Adaware which can be downloaded free from computeractive.co.uk/dow…ds/

best of luck, Cuzzy.

Original Poster

Right - i done what Dino suggested ( after all he is great isnt he!!!) purchased spybot - it found 65 problems - 5 serious in the registry - the rest cookies - so im hoping this was one of them. It said something about P2P which i think this trojan had something to do with?

PURCHASED ?????

thought it was free

you can try running these programs again in safe mode...

>reboot your machine, keep pressing F8 untill u get a few options, then select "SAFE MODE"

try running the prog again, the screen may look bad but its a good tool to fix problems like these

loulou

Right - i done what Dino suggested ( after all he is great isnt he!!!) … Right - i done what Dino suggested ( after all he is great isnt he!!!) purchased spybot - it found 65 problems - 5 serious in the registry - the rest cookies - so im hoping this was one of them. It said something about P2P which i think this trojan had something to do with?

What?? You don't have to purchase Spybot, it's a free download.
    I'll just check my link, sorry if I provided the wrong link :oops: :-(

Original Poster

Oh no! It said to fix problems register - then took me to page to pay!!!! whoops!

loulou

Oh no! It said to fix problems register - then took me to page to pay!!!! … Oh no! It said to fix problems register - then took me to page to pay!!!! whoops!

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh :-(

awww

Jst checked....

wrong link dino

loulou

Oh no! It said to fix problems register - then took me to page to pay!!!! … Oh no! It said to fix problems register - then took me to page to pay!!!! whoops!

I've just downloaded it. I'm so sorry, it seems I posted the wrong Spybot link. How much did you pay? I'll contribute something, I should have double checked that link.

dinosteveus

I've just downloaded it. I'm so sorry, it seems I posted the wrong Spybot … I've just downloaded it. I'm so sorry, it seems I posted the wrong Spybot link. How much did you pay? I'll contribute something, I should have double checked that link.

its crap when you get caught out by those nasty companies !!

Original Poster

Dino - dont be daft! It was only £12. If it gets rid of bad stuff i dont mind!! Whats the difference then - what have i paid for!

before buying always check to c if u can get it for free (:

i use Xoftspy alot, very nifty bit of software

loulou

Dino - dont be daft! It was only £12. If it gets rid of bad stuff i dont … Dino - dont be daft! It was only £12. If it gets rid of bad stuff i dont mind!! Whats the difference then - what have i paid for!

PM me your Paypal email address and I'll pay half. It WAS my fault, I feel so stupid for not checking.

Original Poster

Dino be quiet!

loulou

Aaargh, think i have a virus! i had e mail said returned, virus reported … Aaargh, think i have a virus! i had e mail said returned, virus reported as:Trojan-Downloader.Win32.Agent.betEven tho i never sent the e mail! Any advise? Ive run my anti virus, but not picking it up?Thanks x

Do you know if your computer sent the email? It could be that the emails are being sent from another computer but using your email address as a header.

I had a similar problem despite having firewall and up-to-date av software (f-secure). The other thing that made me suspicious is that my MS Office is not configured to send emails...

If another machine infected with a virus is sending emails with your address as the header, I don't think there is much you can do.

Use Spyware Doctor as it gets rid of most. Run it in Safe Mode to be sure and before you run it, turn off System Restore option. This has taken care of most issues i've ever come across. Once it is done, run a program like Adaware to make sure and you should be ok.

I've done this on many PCs and it solves 95% of issues around. :thumbsup:

Original Poster

Right, thank you everyone for help - yes even you Dino!!!!
    Ive since downloaded the free spybot - and its clear so hopefully its gone. Gari189 - it sounds a bit like what you say - hope its not.
    Cheers again peeps!

Sorry but I'm laughing my head off here....mainly at Dino's declaration of supposed guilt....but as expressed if £12 has rid the virus then it's worth every penny....just one suggestion ..ditch Norton....it is hopeless at virus protection...the free one provided here is far better and more secure
    download.com/AOL…0-2

currychops

Sorry but I'm laughing my head off here....mainly at Dino's declaration … Sorry but I'm laughing my head off here....mainly at Dino's declaration of supposed guilt....but as expressed if £12 has rid the virus then it's worth every penny....just one suggestion ..ditch Norton....it is hopeless at virus protection...the free one provided here is far better and more secure]http://www.download.com/AOL-Active-Virus-Shield/3000-2239_4-10568703.html?tag=lst-0-2

youd ditch Norton but youd recommend AOL hehe

i agree with ditching norton> this its self it a virus ! really hard to totaly uninstall as it still leaves bit n bobs arround, plus it SLOWS down you machine soooooo much

the only anti virus i recommend is AVG, then if you want find yourself a firewall

im not a fan of AOL Fullstop hehe :whistling:

I agree about ditching Norton. I have a full version on this new PC and it's going as soon as I get time. I've disabled as much as I can.

currychops

Sorry but I'm laughing my head off here

big_anth

youd ditch Norton but youd recommend AOL hehei agree with ditching … youd ditch Norton but youd recommend AOL hehei agree with ditching norton> this its self it a virus ! really hard to totaly uninstall as it still leaves bit n bobs arround, plus it SLOWS down you machine soooooo muchthe only anti virus i recommend is AVG, then if you want find yourself a firewallim not a fan of AOL Fullstop hehe :whistling:

It's Kaspersky...just provided free by AOL....I have it on both PCs here and after uninstalling Norton it discovered a few viruses on both PCs that Norton had ignored...Kasperksy updates a few times a day..Norton once a week so any new viruses may well be resident on your PC before Norton discovers them.

currychops

It's Kaspersky...just provided free by AOL....I have it on both PCs here … It's Kaspersky...just provided free by AOL....I have it on both PCs here and after uninstalling Norton it discovered a few viruses on both PCs that Norton had ignored...Kasperksy updates a few times a day..Norton once a week so any new viruses may well be resident on your PC before Norton discovers them.

sounds interesting !! if i get some time i might have to install it !!

i HATE AOL with a passion though :P hehe
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Amazon Italy Galaxy S8 UK12
      2. Argos 3 for 2 reserving early44
      3. DashCam Recommendation With Front And Rear Camera Built In22
      4. £1500 55 inch 4K TV56

See more discussions