Visa/MasterCard prepaid card?

Posted 20th Dec 2019
my sister has mentioned she would like either a homeish Christmas present or perhaps a gift card for the range/dunelm mills. Unfortunately there is no store within a reasonable distance for someone without a car and they only sell them in-store.

I've thought about either cash in a card or a prepaid visa/MasterCard with money preloaded. basically a voucher she can spend anywhere.

what's the best I could get? they all seem to have a card fee and monthly fee, something which I don't really want. Would this be my only option? cheers.
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

15 Comments
Cash have the full flexibility or revolut transfer with a nice gif attached
Pop to the post office they sell and all in one card
What about PayPal rather than a card or cash
ndyanem20/12/2019 17:57

Pop to the post office they sell and all in one card

Not sure that One4Allgift card includes Dunelm as a retailer.
if you are looking for a prepaid mastercard, this may be of use, except the card would not have her name but yours and technically speaking she isn't allowed to use it so if there is a problem it may be difficult to sort out

hotukdeals.com/dea…299
mutley120/12/2019 18:53

if you are looking for a prepaid mastercard, this may be of use, except …if you are looking for a prepaid mastercard, this may be of use, except the card would not have her name but yours and technically speaking she isn't allowed to use it so if there is a problem it may be difficult to sort outhttps://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/free-standard-revolut-card-10-signup-bonus-10-top-up-required-at-revolut-new-customers-via-vouchercloud-3366299

Yeah I saw that. Can imagine she would screw up my credit score

Cash in a card will probably be my best bet. Thanks everyone merry christmas
WorthingBloke20/12/2019 19:10

Yeah I saw that. Can imagine she would screw up my credit score Cash …Yeah I saw that. Can imagine she would screw up my credit score Cash in a card will probably be my best bet. Thanks everyone merry christmas

i don't think she can mess up your credit score as she can only spend what has been put on the card by you

money.co.uk/pre…htm

i was thinking more about her wanting a refund for the purchase as then they will ask to see the credit card and they may want you to be present if you are a bloke and the card has your name on it, so they know she is using someone else's card.

i sometimes use hubby's card and there is not a problem paying for the purchase until i return it for a refund when it would be obvious the card is not mine and so they always ask that hubby comes to do the refund even if the refund goes back on the same card that was used for the purchase.
mutley120/12/2019 19:31

i don't think she can mess up your credit score as she can only spend what …i don't think she can mess up your credit score as she can only spend what has been put on the card by youhttps://www.money.co.uk/prepaid-cards/should-you-get-a-prepaid-card.htmi was thinking more about her wanting a refund for the purchase as then they will ask to see the credit card and they may want you to be present if you are a bloke and the card has your name on it, so they know she is using someone else's card.i sometimes use hubby's card and there is not a problem paying for the purchase until i return it for a refund when it would be obvious the card is not mine and so they always ask that hubby comes to do the refund even if the refund goes back on the same card that was used for the purchase.

Can always say you are your husband.... Just say he's become a lot better looking lately and less hairy
WorthingBloke20/12/2019 19:34

Can always say you are your husband.... Just say he's become a lot better …Can always say you are your husband.... Just say he's become a lot better looking lately and less hairy

i always go into a strop when they say that they can not return the money until my husband turns up as i don't see what the problem is. the card was used for the purchase and so as long as the money is put back on to that card, where is the problem?

but i guess they do this to prevent fraudulent use of the card as they don't want to make it easy for people to use other people's cards even though i know many women use their husbands' credit cards!
mutley120/12/2019 19:39

i always go into a strop when they say that they can not return the money …i always go into a strop when they say that they can not return the money until my husband turns up as i don't see what the problem is. the card was used for the purchase and so as long as the money is put back on to that card, where is the problem?but i guess they do this to prevent fraudulent use of the card as they don't want to make it easy for people to use other people's cards even though i know many women use their husbands' credit cards!

I always use my partner's card and she uses mine. Whichever we pick up first. The EDF is in her name and they always seem taken aback on the phone when I phone up in a deep voice saying my name is Emma
WorthingBloke20/12/2019 19:41

I always use my partner's card and she uses mine. Whichever we pick up …I always use my partner's card and she uses mine. Whichever we pick up first. The EDF is in her name and they always seem taken aback on the phone when I phone up in a deep voice saying my name is Emma

i use hubby's card but he never uses mine as he thinks it is wrong to use someone else's card, even with their permission
he wants me to use my own card but i don't want to do this when i think he should be the one paying!

i never call and pretend to be hubby as it would be ridiculous pretending. do they just accept that you are a woman with a deep voice?
mutley120/12/2019 19:51

i use hubby's card but he never uses mine as he thinks it is wrong to use …i use hubby's card but he never uses mine as he thinks it is wrong to use someone else's card, even with their permission he wants me to use my own card but i don't want to do this when i think he should be the one paying! i never call and pretend to be hubby as it would be ridiculous pretending. do they just accept that you are a woman with a deep voice?

I guess so. All started because I called and was told the account holder has to phone them. I'm the bill payer, cheeky sods. So I phoned back and just said I'm her. They accepted it. Keep meaning to set myself up as an additional account holder, but seems easier (and funny) to just keep pretending. She isn't bothered either, so long as she doesn't have to phone them herself
WorthingBloke20/12/2019 19:56

I guess so. All started because I called and was told the account holder …I guess so. All started because I called and was told the account holder has to phone them. I'm the bill payer, cheeky sods. So I phoned back and just said I'm her. They accepted it. Keep meaning to set myself up as an additional account holder, but seems easier (and funny) to just keep pretending. She isn't bothered either, so long as she doesn't have to phone them herself

yeah. we had this problem with our previous sky account. i am the account holder but hubby was the one who paid the bills and who uses the tv. so whenever we had a problem with the tv, he would have to wait for me to come home and call sky and they don't care that he is the one who pays the bills on the account.
mutley120/12/2019 20:07

yeah. we had this problem with our previous sky account. i am the …yeah. we had this problem with our previous sky account. i am the account holder but hubby was the one who paid the bills and who uses the tv. so whenever we had a problem with the tv, he would have to wait for me to come home and call sky and they don't care that he is the one who pays the bills on the account.

Honestly, just pretend to be each other. Sometimes just makes life easier
Boots used to sell visa prepaid gift cards, no fee. Not sure if they still do them
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants