Visit Auschwitz without a guide?

Posted 7th JanEdited by:"SOUTHWALES"
Hi, has anyone visited Auschwitz without a guide? From what I can tell your entrance is free as kind as you turn up early, does this mean you can stay most of the day and visit all camps and roam freely or just the museum? Confused as it says online book your museum tickets in advance. I also believe you have to book online in advance as limited places available, any help and advice really appreciated, I don't want to go with a guide as my wife has heart failure so need to go at our own pace with plenty of breaks but would like to see as much of all the camps as possible. Also any info on cheap flights places to stay and best way to get to Auschwitz appreciated as we are on a budget. Hoping to travel to Poland Monday to Friday and visit Auschwitz midweek.
Community Updates
Ask
10 Comments
You can stay as long as you like at both sites. You need to book online well in advance as slots fill quickly and the entrance time slots are limited for unguided.

I would definitely recommend unguided. We stopped the whole day until closing.

Just had a look at the booking page and you need to pick a time slot that has no language stated, for unguided. Could mean an early start but well worth having the extra time there.

I used skyscanner to find flights, booking.com for accomodation (in Krakow) and alamo for car hire.

You could also try expedia if you want flights and accommodation in one booking.
Edited by: "ScubaDudes" 7th Jan
You mean guide or is a quide something different?..
We used a guide and I admit it was a little rushed, but vey informative and not sure I would have had the same experience on my own. If you do it on your own, the only issue I see, and I may be wrong, when you are on your own, the queue we see was horrendous, I mean hundreds and hundreds of people waiting. There are audio guides available too if I remember correctly.
Personally, I would have liked more time in both auchwitz and birkenau. Both have different reasons for the opinion.
We went straight in with the guide. I hope that this is helpful in making a decision.
Also, enjoy Krakow, wonderful city. We are now going again this year
Edited by: "belcher142" 7th Jan
Wongy11007/01/2020 22:26

May as well put the bone out for @fanpages them ?

If I understand the question correctly, you'll need one of these two publications, @SOUTHWALES...

39619270-a1Nxv.jpg39619270-tYQLa.jpg
ScubaDudes07/01/2020 19:41

You can stay as long as you like at both sites. You need to book online …You can stay as long as you like at both sites. You need to book online well in advance as slots fill quickly and the entrance time slots are limited for unguided.I would definitely recommend unguided. We stopped the whole day until closing.Just had a look at the booking page and you need to pick a time slot that has no language stated, for unguided. Could mean an early start but well worth having the extra time there.I used skyscanner to find flights, booking.com for accomodation (in Krakow) and alamo for car hire.You could also try expedia if you want flights and accommodation in one booking.

Thank you for your help a d the extra information.
psychobitchfromhell07/01/2020 22:20

You need @deeky

I can't really advise as I've done the guided tour each time I've been. I just prefer to have the info drip-fed into me, rather than have to do things like read Also, if going unguided, remember that there will be a lot of tour groups wandering around, standing around exhibits etc, that you have to will work around.

For flights I just use the 3 airlines that fly from near me (Easyjet, Ryanair and Jet 2 (I prefer Easyjet for the unlimited weight cabin luggage)) and check the monthly calendars as prices can vary massively from day to day.

Hotels, just the usual places, ebookers, Expedia, Agoda, Lastminute.com etc, not forgetting to go through cashback sites.
Edited by: "deeky" 8th Jan
We went on a tour (it was one of the Groupon deals on here)

We got to Camp 1 (the one with more security) at 7am. This was mid-November and we were almost the first ones in, it wasn't very busy at opening hours. Our group of 8, and another same size.

Camp 2 (the larger of the two) we got there about 10/11-ish, and was also very quiet.

I can't imagine the place teeming with people, so I would suggest get there very early.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions