Vista Slowing Down :(

Hope this is in the right place, but I am looking for some advice.

I have had vista premium on my compay 6400 core2duo since its release last year.

I have had no problems with it, but recently it has slowed up. I like things like iexplore etc to load instantly, but they dont now, and take such a long time to load. Things like google take their time. Grrr!!

I have defragged, virus scanned, spy scanned, disc checked, lowered some of the graphics settings etc. I mean its not a slow machine. 6400cpu, 2g ram, 320hdd with an 8800gti graphcis card

What could it be?? an update?

19 Comments

sp1 is out

download it

make sure you back up your essentials

take the side off the case and see if any of the fans are clogged up with dust, if this happens i find it puts more strain on the system.

i do it reguarly

edit: dont forget to turn it off and unplug all leads lol

Make sure you defragment it from time to time. This should help speed it up. Also, get some registry cleaner programs. Finally, go to "My Computer", right-click the hard drive, click properties and then click "Disk Cleanup". Make sure, after it scans, that you only remove what you want it to remove.

You shouldn't need to defrag'.

Make sure ya haven't got anti whatever fighting against each other.

owlass;1763678

You shouldn't need to defrag'.Make sure ya haven't got anti whatever … You shouldn't need to defrag'.Make sure ya haven't got anti whatever fighting against each other.

If they've had the computer with vista since release and a defrag hasn't been done since then, then a defrag is definitely a likely thing that needs doing.

Hi
Personally I would upgrade to sp1 just yet. I'd wait until all the bugs have been ironed out.
They say the version of sp1 up on web site is really r2 beta and a true sp1 will be out in April.
I would do as other have said... plus clean out the temp directory and delete off line files from IE.
( Tools - Internet Options - Browsing History - Delete - then choose which files you want deleted)

Just my 2p worth.

Happy Easter all

well i 'upgraded' to sp1 the other day and whilst performance is just the same it takes an age to boot up now, at least twice as long as prior to sp1...

way to go microshaft!

I thinh the only easy way is to save all your data you need to save to disc then do a complete system restore as new from factory and start again from there
maurice

Have you also updated your bios on the Dell site? How much HDD space have you used? As well as defragging, you might want to consider deleting unnecessary programs, esp if your HDD is 60%+ used. I would also turn off the automatic indexing feature. On my Vostro 1500 2.0Gz machine, I also noticed a decent performance boost when I upgraded 2GB RAM to 3GB.

titty;1764117

well i 'upgraded' to sp1 the other day and whilst performance is just the … well i 'upgraded' to sp1 the other day and whilst performance is just the same it takes an age to boot up now, at least twice as long as prior to sp1...way to go microshaft!

I wonder have you a unnecessary number of startup programs running? TYpe msconfig and follow prompts to find the startups running. Get rid of all the **** that you don't want to automatically start when the machine starts. Most things you only need to run when you actually want to use them. There are only a small number that you avctually need. Also, delete unnecessary add-ons in IE (tools, manage add-ons, enable or disable add-ons)

titty;1764117

well i 'upgraded' to sp1 the other day and whilst performance is just the … well i 'upgraded' to sp1 the other day and whilst performance is just the same it takes an age to boot up now, at least twice as long as prior to sp1...way to go microshaft!

I wonder have you an unnecessary number of startup programs running? TYpe msconfig and follow prompts to find the startups running. Get rid of all the **** that you don't want to automatically start when the machine starts. Most things you only need to run when you actually want to use them. There are only a small number that you avctually need. Also, delete unnecessary add-ons in IE (tools, manage add-ons, enable or disable add-ons)

Liddle ol' me;1764172

I wonder have you an unnecessary number of startup programs running? TYpe … I wonder have you an unnecessary number of startup programs running? TYpe msconfig and follow prompts to find the startups running. Get rid of all the **** that you don't want to automatically start when the machine starts. Most things you only need to run when you actually want to use them. There are only a small number that you avctually need. Also, delete unnecessary add-ons in IE (tools, manage add-ons, enable or disable add-ons)

Yeah I already keep things pretty streamlined, msconfig, services and the like, there's no hardware changes either, the only thing different is sp1 - actually takes over 3 minutes to boot up now, prior it was just over a minute :x

titty;1764117

I had this problem and so i checked how badly my drives were fragmented and it was like 22% (a massive jump from before SP1 installation). See if yours needs defraging now.

hypnoticstate;1764531

I had this problem and so i checked how badly my drives were fragmented … I had this problem and so i checked how badly my drives were fragmented and it was like 22% (a massive jump from before SP1 installation). See if yours needs defraging now.

Thanks for the tip, checked with Auslogics Disk Defrag (Vista defag is useless!!!) and it reported 15% fragmented, defragged and rebooted, only takes 2 mins to boot up now, so helped some! :thumbsup: although I'm sure sp1 is responsible for slowing it down a little still.

Have you updated any security?
If so this could block your webpages to load
Also what area are you in? As there is an outage at the moment thats causing Very slow pages to load.
Its effecting certain areas on one particular server.

try disabling the swap file, removing temp files, and deleteing the hibernate fil, then doing a defrag and re-instate as you see fit
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. 75% off Sky TV for existing customers. Only works when you call the specifi…17396139
    2. A Nigerian prince and bit coins scam55
    3. How dangerous is Donald trump?1331
    4. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764104

See more discussions