Vitamins

Posted 10th Mar
Does anyone have any advice on what vitamins are the best please? For adults (women's health)... Ones which help also with anxiety / depression if possible looking at primrose / cod liver? and also the best ones for children too please? Ages 3 and 6? Trying to find out if there is one that covers all bases rather than having multiple tablets to take?

There are so many in the shop and never know which type / brands the best

Thanks in advance!
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

Top comments
Does anyone have any advice on what vitamins are the best please?

Yes. Your GP. And they'll tell you not to use multivitamins.
26 Comments
Does anyone have any advice on what vitamins are the best please?

Yes. Your GP. And they'll tell you not to use multivitamins.
Vitamin d is supposed to help with mood. But best to get out in the sun to get that!
Multivitamins are ineffective and certainly will not help with depression/anxiety.
As above.

Get vitamins from real foods and "superfoods" (chicken/eggs/oranges/pomegranates/grapefruit etc).
As others have said seek medical advice.

This is from the BNF (you'll see a copy of this sitting in every pharmacy or GP/Prescribing Nurse's consulting room).

"Vitamins are used for the prevention and treatment of specific deficiency states or where the diet is known to be inadequate; they may be prescribed in the NHS to prevent or treat deficiency but not as dietary supplements.

Their use as general ‘pick-me-ups’ is of unproven value and, in the case of preparations containing vitamin A or D, may actually be harmful if patients take more than the prescribed dose. The ‘fad’ for mega-vitamin therapy with water-soluble vitamins, such as ascorbic acid and pyridoxine hydrochloride, is unscientific and can be harmful."

bnf.nice.org.uk/tre…tml
Best vitamins are in the foods u eat.
dkl_uk10/03/2020 11:07

Does anyone have any advice on what vitamins are the best please? Yes. …Does anyone have any advice on what vitamins are the best please? Yes. Your GP. And they'll tell you not to use multivitamins.

My doctor actually told me to start using them? I'm low in B12 said to up my green foods and to start taking B12 vitamin to help?
sammy12510/03/2020 11:19

Multivitamins are ineffective and certainly will not help with …Multivitamins are ineffective and certainly will not help with depression/anxiety.

Been told by Dr's that primrose and starflower will help to boost my mood? As well as being low in B12. That's why I asked for help in finding a multivitamin that will combine all together thank you for your response
L0u33z10/03/2020 12:13

Been told by Dr's that primrose and starflower will help to boost my mood? …Been told by Dr's that primrose and starflower will help to boost my mood? As well as being low in B12. That's why I asked for help in finding a multivitamin that will combine all together thank you for your response

No, it won't.

If that was my "doctors" (the doctor himself or someone working in the practice?) I would be changing. Immediately.
sammy12510/03/2020 12:15

No, it won't.If that was my "doctors" (the doctor himself or someone …No, it won't.If that was my "doctors" (the doctor himself or someone working in the practice?) I would be changing. Immediately.

The doctor could be saying to use those as a placebo so the patient will believe they will help and will therefore "trick" themselves in to feeling better.
Westwoodo10/03/2020 12:27

The doctor could be saying to use those as a placebo so the patient will …The doctor could be saying to use those as a placebo so the patient will believe they will help and will therefore "trick" themselves in to feeling better.

"will help" vs "could help"

In reality: won't help.
L0u33z10/03/2020 12:12

My doctor actually told me to start using them? I'm low in B12 said to up …My doctor actually told me to start using them? I'm low in B12 said to up my green foods and to start taking B12 vitamin to help?

You can’t be that low in vitamin B12 to warrant any real concern, otherwise he would’ve suggested having quarterly vitamin B12 injections administered by the practice nurse.
As suggested, try to increase green foods which will benefit both you and your children. You could even drink the water you boil the cabbage in and drink it when cooled down a bit rather than draining it away. That would be a good source of iron as well.
Edited by: "Toptrumpet" 10th Mar
Iv always felt tired and low in energy every singe time and used to yawn all day.
Now I have started to take these and I feel much better.
The are jelly vitamins not tablets which we get fed up with

Nature's Bounty Women's Multivitamin Gummies with Collagen - Pack of 60 £13.99 on Amazon or 3 for 2 at boots etc but £20 each

Also I tried omega 3 from Holland and barret but I didn’t notice any difference what so ever. So i recommend you what I said
@L0u33z

I’ve had a noticeable difference in my energy levels since taking Sante Barley Capsules daily.

Someone I work with recommended them to me.

I would suggest researching first and checking with your GP to see if they suitable for you.
12810220571583845533.jpg
sammy12510/03/2020 12:35

"will help" vs "could help"In reality: won't help.

The mind is a powerful thing.

Probably wouldn't help I agree but it would be worth trying.

I'm low in B12 said to up my green foods

"green foods" or vegetables as we tend to call them are not a source of B12.
myusernamehasgone23410/03/2020 13:09

@L0u33z I’ve had a noticeable difference in my energy levels since taking S …@L0u33z I’ve had a noticeable difference in my energy levels since taking Sante Barley Capsules daily.Someone I work with recommended them to me.I would suggest researching first and checking with your GP to see if they suitable for you.[Image]

"NO APPROVED THERAPEUTIC CLAIMS" slapped across the front. Honestly, people will buy any old nonsense.

Holland and Barrett and the like have made fortunes off the gullible.
sammy12510/03/2020 13:32

"NO APPROVED THERAPEUTIC CLAIMS" slapped across the front. Honestly, …"NO APPROVED THERAPEUTIC CLAIMS" slapped across the front. Honestly, people will buy any old nonsense.Holland and Barrett and the like have made fortunes off the gullible.

Yep that's very clear on the package however it is suppose to lower blood sugar levels.

Barley might lower blood sugar levels. Your diabetes medications might need to be adjusted by your healthcare provider.

Barley might lower blood sugar levels.

There is a concern that it might interfere with blood sugar control during and after surgery. Stop using barley at least 2 weeks before a scheduled surgery.

L0u33z10/03/2020 12:13

Been told by Dr's that primrose and starflower will help to boost my mood? …Been told by Dr's that primrose and starflower will help to boost my mood? As well as being low in B12. That's why I asked for help in finding a multivitamin that will combine all together thank you for your response

So you're low in vitamin B12 and your doctor wants you to take a spread spectrum of vitamins and minerals that you don't need?

No doctor should advocate the use of multivitamins. Every single person is different, has different needs and deficiencies. If you're significantly deficient in any vitamin (I am with Vit D and Calcium) then they will give it to you.

If you're deficient in one vitamin, buy one vitamin.
In such instances where a GP has ascertained a course of action they should raise a prescription and the Pharmacist would advise if an OTC alternative was available at a lower cost than the prescription charge if you pay for them.

My doctor actually told me to start using them? I'm low in B12 said to up …My doctor actually told me to start using them? I'm low in B12 said to up my green foods and to start taking B12 vitamin to help?

I have b12 absorption problems. Eggs, marmite, fish and cheese are great. Try those. However if you eat a lot of these types of foods and it’s still low your GP should be giving you injections, if it’s very low you need injections every other day for two weeks then have them monthly/3 monthly (depending on the type your surgery uses).
And those saying being low in vitamins don’t affect depression anxiety etc, B12 definitely does and can be very dangerous if it’s too low for too long. But OP, changing your diet is much better for you than tablets as you barely absorb them.
Did your GP check your intrinsic factor and folate levels too? As being deficient in these can also affect your b12.
Edited by: "choccie32" 10th Mar
dkl_uk10/03/2020 11:07

Does anyone have any advice on what vitamins are the best please? Yes. …Does anyone have any advice on what vitamins are the best please? Yes. Your GP. And they'll tell you not to use multivitamins.

Not 100% accurate, but there you go.
Placebo or not, but reviews are good:
hollandandbarrett.com/sho…296

hollandandbarrett.com/sho…171

Eat healthy too, eating high carb/high sugar can make you feel lousy.
B12 is for energy levels, metabolism and a few other perks.
If it is tiredness and lack of mental focus, might be worth getting your Iron levels checked too.
Doctor will advise on diet or prescribe high dose Iron if it is low.
choccie3210/03/2020 14:45

I have b12 absorption problems.

Are you on medications? Some can restrict your body's ability to absorb it. I.e: Metformin.
guru40410/03/2020 15:22

Are you on medications? Some can restrict your body's ability to absorb …Are you on medications? Some can restrict your body's ability to absorb it. I.e: Metformin.

No I’m not, also it takes years for your body to get to low levels as your body should store it for when it is needed. Being low on b12 is serious and can permanently affect your brain and nerves.
Edited by: "choccie32" 10th Mar
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Discussions

Top Merchants