Expired

VivaStreet/Gumtree scam?

Found 23rd Mar 2013
Right I have my car for sale on Gumtree and Vivastreet for £1100, about it's value, however somebody has emailed me offering £1400 for it without even having seen it.

He says "I anticipate that I'll have payment
made through paypal to your bank account or through paypal to paypal"

"You do not have to bother yourself about the shipping. I'll instruct
a Shipping Co Agent to come for pick up at your door,when you must have
gotten your cash at hand...please do contact me with your paypal email
address or bank account details to make payment to such as

Bank Account Number
Account Holders Name
Bank Name
Sort Code"

"I will wait for the payment to clear in your bank account
before we proceed with the pick up,once payment has cleared in your
account and money is made available then after i will contact you on
how the shipping agent will schedule the pick up time..Please do get
back to me with your bank details to proceed with the payment or paypal
email address"

Now this almost seems too good to be true, but at the same time if he pays the money straight into my bank surely there is no way to get it back?

Is this a scam or not? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Community Updates
47 Comments
Do you really need to ask?
Scam. Ignore it.
Banned
It has been going on for ages....why would any right minded person offer more than asking price?

If you proceed it will end in tears.
Edited by: "konimitsu" 23rd Mar 2013
I had about 20 of these "offers" a while back when I sold my old phone on there. Usually some poor guy's paypal account hacked etc. Only deal with people face to face and if it seems too good to be true it generally is...
Banned
Usually fradulent bank/paypal account, ive seen this/similar one before.

What they will also tell you is to pay the shipping agent direct (they will send you the cash for this) so by the time its all found out ts a fraud, YOU will have paid the "shipping agent" from your own pocket and the original amount which was sent to you will be reversed.

You will be out the money paid to the shipper hence the fraud here.
Original Poster
Okay it is just if he pays it into my bank account, I thought bank transfers were none reversible? I'll ask if he could send a check or cash, that should stop him emailing again.
Banned
Jmanizzle

Okay it is just if he pays it into my bank account, I thought bank … Okay it is just if he pays it into my bank account, I thought bank transfers were none reversible? I'll ask if he could send a check or cash, that should stop him emailing again.

Dont really know, ive been in the motor trade for 10 years and last time someone pulled this one on us they asked us to take the payment via credit card, the penny dropped as soon as they asked requested us to pay the shipping co direct.

I would ASSUME if the bank transaction was fradulent then the bank could reverse it and thy would be liable for the fradulent transaction however ide rather not chance it in this day and age espically as some banks ive dealt look after themself rather than their customers.
Original Poster
crebera

Dont really know, ive been in the motor trade for 10 years and last time … Dont really know, ive been in the motor trade for 10 years and last time someone pulled this one on us they asked us to take the payment via credit card, the penny dropped as soon as they asked requested us to pay the shipping co direct.I would ASSUME if the bank transaction was fradulent then the bank could reverse it and thy would be liable for the fradulent transaction however ide rather not chance it in this day and age espically as some banks ive dealt look after themself rather than their customers.

Think I will ask the bank on Monday. It's quite sad really that this is how things are these days.
Banned
Jmanizzle

Okay it is just if he pays it into my bank account, I thought bank … Okay it is just if he pays it into my bank account, I thought bank transfers were none reversible? I'll ask if he could send a check or cash, that should stop him emailing again.

You know what they say, Cash is king. If you get a wad in your hand there is a lot less comeback.

Btw NEVER EVER EVER EVER, accept cheque and be VERY weary of bankers drafts as these are EASILY forged.
Banned
Jmanizzle

Think I will ask the bank on Monday. It's quite sad really that this is … Think I will ask the bank on Monday. It's quite sad really that this is how things are these days.

Criminals keep getting more desprate as better measures are in place to prevent fraud, and as such they get more inventive in their ways to defraud. You know what the say necessity is the mother of invention.
Jmanizzle

You'd also be giving him your name, address and full bank details, I'd steer well clear of this one!
Original Poster
crebera

You know what they say, Cash is king. If you get a wad in your hand there … You know what they say, Cash is king. If you get a wad in your hand there is a lot less comeback. Btw NEVER EVER EVER EVER, accept cheque and be VERY weary of bankers drafts as these are EASILY forged.

Why not a cheque? I'd wait for it to clear first
Jmanizzle

Why not a cheque? I'd wait for it to clear first

Cheques can be cancelled for quite a while even after they have cleared.
Banned
Jmanizzle

. Why not a cheque? I'd wait for it to clear first

NOBODY should need to pay by cheque in this day and age, evenmoreso now that even the banks have stopped the "cheque guarantee scheme". It really is a redundant payment method.
I say this because ive heard of horror stories where a cheque was returned unpaid six months after it was deposited and the person lost the money.

Bottom line is if the can pay by cheque then there is no reason not to pay by cash, alternatively i would attach a 12 month clearing time to anyone who would want to pay me via cheque, thats how far i would stay away from them.
Original Poster
Can't believe this is so complex, so it basically has to be cash? What about bank transfer?
Just think of it this way, be it cash or any other form of payment how confident are you in recovering you're property if it turns out to be fraudulent.
Banned
Jmanizzle

Can't believe this is so complex, so it basically has to be cash? What … Can't believe this is so complex, so it basically has to be cash? What about bank transfer?

Not really conplex, just make sure youre not being scammed or defrauded. It really is each particular scenario to be considered individually.

For example i sold a car a while back to a nice guy who came to my house and viewed the motor, he was happy with it and to be fair i really wasnt expecting him to turn up to my doorstep with x thousands of pounds.
We agreed a price, i filled in the paperwork to his details, he showed me his driving licence as well as a bank card frow which account he was going to pay me from, i was happy for him to use my pc to transfer the cash between the accounts, he called his insurance co at my house to insure the car and away down the road he went happy.

Now on the other hand, youve had an EMAIL from SOMEONE who has offered to pay you MORE than asking price for your car, and to pay you from an account/paypal which you have no way to "kinda" verify it, and want a shipping company involved as well. Red flags all the way there im afaid.

Its not really compex just a bit of savvy, in the case of the latter i would insist cash all day long.
For a start, before even getting into the technical side of payments, why would someone offer more than asking price for a car they haven't even looked at. No sane person would do that. There must be something dodgy about it.

I'm intreagued though, keep us posted.
Original Poster
Asked for Verification the cash was his or to be paid by another method and the guy has stopped replying, knew it was too good to be true really, but just had to know. Thanks for the help.
Does the English in the email not get the alarm bells ringing?

"when you must have gotten your cash at hand"

"I'll instruct a Shipping Co Agent to come for pick up"

dolphinninja

Does the English in the email not get the alarm bells ringing?"when you … Does the English in the email not get the alarm bells ringing?"when you must have gotten your cash at hand""I'll instruct a Shipping Co Agent to come for pick up"

well there are alot of foreigners in uk and they all cant speak fluent english and most go into the car trading business to make some money.

Jman take the easy and simple route cash in hand no cheques no cards no IOU also you may want to make sure they dont give you counterfeit notes,

if it doesnt sell on the site you have listed give auto trader a go. Also if you do make sale make sure you wright up a receipt that states you have sold the car, google for a a template.

Edited by: "360baby" 23rd Mar 2013
Someone else appears to have lost out in this sort of scam:
thevisitor.co.uk/new…012
Butterbean

Someone else appears to have lost out in this sort of … Someone else appears to have lost out in this sort of scam:http://www.thevisitor.co.uk/news/mum-s-warning-after-ebay-scam-1-5473012

How stupid can somebody be? When selling something you don't give random potential buyers £277.
are people just that naive or too much fluoride and aspartame
If a big bloke with a dodgy American accent comes calling you know it's a scam!
Original Poster
Think that was a different scam, I wouldn't be paying anything first not a chance, just didn't want to miss out on a good price on my car, oh well I guess I'll just take cash only, got one of those money pens too now :P

As for the English, at least he tried to use grammar, a lot more intelligent than some people I've dealt with while trading in the past.
Banned
Jmanizzle

Think that was a different scam, I wouldn't be paying anything first not … Think that was a different scam, I wouldn't be paying anything first not a chance, just didn't want to miss out on a good price on my car, oh well I guess I'll just take cash only, got one of those money pens too now :PAs for the English, at least he tried to use grammar, a lot more intelligent than some people I've dealt with while trading in the past.

You need to get over this as this is a scam whatever way you want to take payment, dress it up how you will it is a scam. You was not and will not ever get a deal for £300 more than you advertise something for. Also as for praising his grammar this clown was trying to take your car from you.

Forget about it now....
Edited by: "konimitsu" 23rd Mar 2013
You cant even trust cash nowadays with fake bank notes doing the rounds.
SilverBlack

You cant even trust cash nowadays with fake bank notes doing the rounds.

Surely the Op should use common sense and ask for payment in Cadbury creme eggs.
Classifieds = Cash only in my opinion.
Butterbean

Someone else appears to have lost out in this sort of … Someone else appears to have lost out in this sort of scam:http://www.thevisitor.co.uk/news/mum-s-warning-after-ebay-scam-1-5473012

As soon as Western Union is mentioned in any sort of transaction with a stranger, you should run away. That should be taught in schools these days.
You can make jizzman from your username op.
deeky

You can make jizzman from your username op.

le jizzman using all letters in French.
transit

Why would he want to use french letters?
transit

Surely the Op should use common sense and ask for payment in Cadbury … Surely the Op should use common sense and ask for payment in Cadbury creme eggs.

Inb4 forged Cadbury creme eggs doing the rounds.
Butterbean

It's not a scam if she was that stupid. "I'm selling MY car but I'll give YOU £200". Yeah, that's how we sell stuff.
jeez no wonder fools get scammed!

yeah give him your address name and bank details.

let us know how it goes

RonChew

Why would he want to use french letters?

To make use of the L and the E. Obviousmént. X)
transit

I can't remember the last time I laughed out loud when on my own X)
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants