Unfortunately, this discussion is no longer valid
Expired

Vodafone basic sim only plan

Posted 26th Jun
Anyone on this plan and can comment on what your experience are? It states that

"download speed is capped at a maximum of 10Mbps"

I am currently on EE essential plan at the moment and hubby is on Sky mobile. Does the above speed compare well with the existing plans?
Community Updates
Ask
30 Comments
What speed are you getting on EE and sky. Do a speed test. If they are not capped they will be faster....

speedtest.net ..
Edited by: "Bargainhead" 26th Jun
Bargainhead26/06/2020 15:16

What speed are you getting on EE and sky. Do a speed test. If they are not …What speed are you getting on EE and sky. Do a speed test. If they are not capped they will be faster....

how do i do a speed test on the phones?
mutley126/06/2020 15:18

how do i do a speed test on the phones?

Click on link I put up...
Or google speedtests loads out there. No one can answer your question as every mast will give different speeds and the device you use affects it...
Bargainhead26/06/2020 15:20

Click on link I put up...

i just googled the EE essential plan speed and it states, "maximum download speed of 60Mbps"

and on the sky mobile it states "18.0/6.4Mbps download/upload"

so if I am happy with EE then I will be fine with vodafone basic. I am a bit confused about the sky mobile of 18.0 Mbps download speed as that is really really poor??
I get similar speeds to my full vodafone plan - worth checking out VOXI too they are full speed vodafone with good prices
mutley126/06/2020 15:24

i just googled the EE essential plan speed and it states, "maximum …i just googled the EE essential plan speed and it states, "maximum download speed of 60Mbps" and on the sky mobile it states "18.0/6.4Mbps download/upload"so if I am happy with EE then I will be fine with vodafone basic. I am a bit confused about the sky mobile of 18.0 Mbps download speed as that is really really poor??

Lol yes really slow, Vodafone capping at 10 is slower than 18..

just because they say those speed you could be getting less, only way to know is speedtest..
Mobile phone bandwidth fluctuates by large amounts depending on location and time of day. How far away the mast is, whether it supports 3G, 4G or 5G and how many other people are transmitting right now can cause it to vary anywhere between 0.5Mbps to 200Mbps.
Bargainhead26/06/2020 15:27

Lol yes really slow, Vodafone capping at 10 is slower than 18..just …Lol yes really slow, Vodafone capping at 10 is slower than 18..just because they say those speed you could be getting less, only way to know is speedtest..

doh, i misread the vodafone as 100Mbps! just reread my post and it states 10Mbps, which is very slow if I think that the sky mobile is slow

guess that is the end of that then. i am having a whale of a time on my essential EE plan at 60Mbps.
mrpepesman26/06/2020 15:26

I get similar speeds to my full vodafone plan - worth checking out VOXI …I get similar speeds to my full vodafone plan - worth checking out VOXI too they are full speed vodafone with good prices

do you have both? do you get decent data connection and speed where you are?
mutley126/06/2020 16:40

doh, i misread the vodafone as 100Mbps! just reread my post and it states …doh, i misread the vodafone as 100Mbps! just reread my post and it states 10Mbps, which is very slow if I think that the sky mobile is slow guess that is the end of that then. i am having a whale of a time on my essential EE plan at 60Mbps.

You wouldn’t notice the difference tbh on a phone watching movies or listening to music. You only notice the difference when downloading big files which you don’t do on a phone. Even then it depends how fast the other connection is.

big bandwidth and speed is only needed when lots of people are using it a once. For one person it’s not an issue.
Bargainhead26/06/2020 17:10

You wouldn’t notice the difference tbh on a phone watching movies or l …You wouldn’t notice the difference tbh on a phone watching movies or listening to music. You only notice the difference when downloading big files which you don’t do on a phone. Even then it depends how fast the other connection is. big bandwidth and speed is only needed when lots of people are using it a once. For one person it’s not an issue.

thanks. makes sense
Im on sky mobile and sometimes I don’t have signal so just checked speed test. Says 8mbps which is poor
I want to move to Voda basics sim only plan as it’s a good deal £6 unlimited minutes and 2 gb
Misslovely26/06/2020 22:22

Im on sky mobile and sometimes I don’t have signal so just checked speed t …Im on sky mobile and sometimes I don’t have signal so just checked speed test. Says 8mbps which is poor I want to move to Voda basics sim only plan as it’s a good deal £6 unlimited minutes and 2 gb

hubby has sky mobile and it is slower than my EE but he has an old phone so i had put it down to that. it is a bit annoying as you can't switch the voice mail off, so when someone calls they get the message "this number can not take messages" and then it hangs up rather than continue to ring!

on my EE, it rings forever as i have switched the voice mail off.

hubby often hear from people saying that they tried to call him but they could not reach him. so although sky mobile is cheap and you can roll over data, i am not sure i would want to use it myself as i need to be contactable more than him.

i was thinking vodafone not being a MVNO, would be a better provider as you can get a cheap plan from them for £6 pm like sky mobile.
mutley126/06/2020 15:24

i just googled the EE essential plan speed and it states, "maximum …i just googled the EE essential plan speed and it states, "maximum download speed of 60Mbps" and on the sky mobile it states "18.0/6.4Mbps download/upload"so if I am happy with EE then I will be fine with vodafone basic. I am a bit confused about the sky mobile of 18.0 Mbps download speed as that is really really poor??

Strange, my other half is on the EE essential plan 250MB + 10GB add-on £10pm, took another sim out for me at £9pm because Three sucks monkey balls and my Mate 20 Pro is dual sim, and I’m getting average 70Mbps and sometimes exceeding 100Mbps at my workplace.
mutley126/06/2020 22:27

hubby has sky mobile and it is slower than my EE but he has an old phone …hubby has sky mobile and it is slower than my EE but he has an old phone so i had put it down to that. it is a bit annoying as you can't switch the voice mail off, so when someone calls they get the message "this number can not take messages" and then it hangs up rather than continue to ring!on my EE, it rings forever as i have switched the voice mail off.hubby often hear from people saying that they tried to call him but they could not reach him. so although sky mobile is cheap and you can roll over data, i am not sure i would want to use it myself as i need to be contactable more than him.i was thinking vodafone not being a MVNO, would be a better provider as you can get a cheap plan from them for £6 pm like sky mobile.

We have 4 sims in family and all have connection issues. My son is 12 and I couldn’t ring him yesterday when I needed to and he hand his mobile next to him.
Annoying that’s why I want to leave them but letting my kids stay as it’s only £3 pm
Misslovely26/06/2020 22:37

We have 4 sims in family and all have connection issues. My son is 12 and …We have 4 sims in family and all have connection issues. My son is 12 and I couldn’t ring him yesterday when I needed to and he hand his mobile next to him. Annoying that’s why I want to leave them but letting my kids stay as it’s only £3 pm

sky mobile can be unreliable, which is why it is cheap. hubby sometimes get a call but when he answers, the call cuts off and the other person has to to ring him back or he has to call them back. i had put it down to the other person losing signal, but may be it is hubby's phone that loses the signal!

i was thinking of going with sky mobile when my EE contract ends and i can't get a decent retention deal, but i don't think it will be suitable for me. i think vodafone will be more reliable for call signal.
There’s cash back available too so try Quidco
Don’t go direct with voda as data is lower I noticed
Misslovely27/06/2020 07:36

There’s cash back available too so try Quidco Don’t go direct with voda as …There’s cash back available too so try Quidco Don’t go direct with voda as data is lower I noticed

just looked on TCB and they are offering cashback on vodafone basic sim only plans, so cheers for the heads up
also just ordered a free PAYG sim to test the signal at my house
Edited by: "mutley1" 27th Jun
Misslovely26/06/2020 22:22

Im on sky mobile and sometimes I don’t have signal so just checked speed t …Im on sky mobile and sometimes I don’t have signal so just checked speed test. Says 8mbps which is poor I want to move to Voda basics sim only plan as it’s a good deal £6 unlimited minutes and 2 gb

We'll go with Talkmobile which is Vodafone with no speed restrictions and 4gb for £6.50.
menace476504/07/2020 17:30

Ask Dick🤪

i got a PAYG sim to test the signal and for calls the signal is pretty strong at my house. the sim had some data on it so i was also able to test the internet access and it was pretty quick. i couldn't tell any difference to the speed i get on my EE plan.

certainly a goer.
mutley126/06/2020 22:27

hubby has sky mobile and it is slower than my EE but he has an old phone …hubby has sky mobile and it is slower than my EE but he has an old phone so i had put it down to that. it is a bit annoying as you can't switch the voice mail off, so when someone calls they get the message "this number can not take messages" and then it hangs up rather than continue to ring!on my EE, it rings forever as i have switched the voice mail off.hubby often hear from people saying that they tried to call him but they could not reach him. so although sky mobile is cheap and you can roll over data, i am not sure i would want to use it myself as i need to be contactable more than him.i was thinking vodafone not being a MVNO, would be a better provider as you can get a cheap plan from them for £6 pm like sky mobile.

Talkmobile is Vodafone £6.50 4gb data.bargain.
menace476504/07/2020 17:38

Talkmobile is Vodafone £6.50 4gb data.bargain.

i find with MVNO networks, the speed is slower than the network they piggy back on. hubby had virgin mobile, which piggy back on EE but it was slower than my EE and i would get call and data signal in some areas, but he wouldn't.

i am going to stay away from MVNO networks unless the savings is really really huge and it is for someone else and not me.
mutley104/07/2020 17:40

i find with MVNO networks, the speed is slower than the network they piggy …i find with MVNO networks, the speed is slower than the network they piggy back on. hubby had virgin mobile, which piggy back on EE but it was slower than my EE and i would get call and data signal in some areas, but he wouldn't.i am going to stay away from MVNO networks unless the savings is really really huge and it is for someone else and not me.

I have Lebara and it's as quick as Vodafone getting 60mbps easily.Talkmobile is owned by Vodafone .
menace476504/07/2020 17:46

I have Lebara and it's as quick as Vodafone getting 60mbps …I have Lebara and it's as quick as Vodafone getting 60mbps easily.Talkmobile is owned by Vodafone .

do you find talkmobile to be decent for signal? hubby has sky and i have plusnet sims that i have given to my dad and brother and they are all really bad signal wise, not just for data but for call signal as well.
Edited by: "mutley1" 4th Jul
mutley104/07/2020 17:56

do you find talkmobile to be decent for signal? hubby has sky and i have …do you find talkmobile to be decent for signal? hubby has sky and i have plusnet sims that i have given to my dad and brother and they are all really bad signal wise, not just for data but for call signal as well.

I'm confident talkmobile will be same as Vodafone signal as they own it.Plusnet was poor in comparison especially indoors.
Edited by: "menace4765" 4th Jul
menace476504/07/2020 18:09

I'm confident talkmobile will be same as Vodafone signal as they own it

i just looked at discussions on talkmobile and the consensus seems to state they are decent enough. i associated the name with talktalk, which is a terrible company. but someone said in one of the threads that talkmobile is not talktalk.

vodafone should have known better than to name a new company similar to one that is terrible!
mutley104/07/2020 18:11

i just looked at discussions on talkmobile and the consensus seems to …i just looked at discussions on talkmobile and the consensus seems to state they are decent enough. i associated the name with talktalk, which is a terrible company. but someone said in one of the threads that talkmobile is not talktalk.vodafone should have known better than to name a new company similar to one that is terrible!

Vodafone didn't name it as they bought it off CPW a few years ago .Think it was on EE then.
Lebara signal
41295110-4m5Y2.jpg
Post a comment
@
    Text