Vodafone Broadband

Found 4th Jun 2017
Helo I saw you comment regarding to vodafone broadband.
I am still on cool period Vodafone Fibre 38 Mbps but my speed is max 26...
Generally I haven't big problems with it but I read that the router is rubbish.

DLNA is not working good... My devices can't see each other. I can't connect my phone or laptop to TV... Thats possible if you restart your router and after that you can connect laptop or phone to TV by WiFi direct but after reconnect devices you can't connect them again.... and you need to restart your router again to connect devices.....

Price is good because I pay 23 a month and no connection fee... Can you write something about that ? Should I resign or carry on ? If resign, so which provider should I choose ?

Bart
Community Updates
AskBroadbandVodafone
77 Comments
Just buy a better router......
Original Poster
They don't allow to connect own router...
1947ksm

They don't allow to connect own router...

Leave the vodafone router connected but with Wi-Fi and DHCP disabled (essentially turning it into 'Modem mode'), connect a new (decent) router to it with Ethernet cable and connect to Wi-Fi on that. You are then only using the Vodafone router for Internet connectivity, all internal network connectivity (The part that is causing you DLNA, inter-device connection problems) is then using your own router..
Edited by: "Uridium" 4th Jun 2017
Original Poster
Can you recommend me some useful router?
Uridium

Leave the vodafone router connected but with Wi-Fi and DHCP disabled … Leave the vodafone router connected but with Wi-Fi and DHCP disabled (essentially turning it into 'Modem mode'), connect a new (decent) router to it with Ethernet cable and connect to Wi-Fi on that. You are then only using the Vodafone router for Internet connectivity, all internal network connectivity (The part that is causing you DLNA, inter-device connection problems) is then using your own router..

I'm switching to Vodafone next week so let's see if I get the same issues. I have my old by home hub so might so what you suggested if I get similar issues.
Original Poster
ceanth1 m ago

I'm switching to Vodafone next week so let's see if I get the same issues. …I'm switching to Vodafone next week so let's see if I get the same issues. I have my old by home hub so might so what you suggested if I get similar issues.

Let me know.
1947ksm

Let me know.

Sure. So to clarify you can't use things like Chromecast due to the limitation on the Vodafone router?
Original Poster
Devices cant see each other inside..... You need to do restart router and after that you can connect smartphone or laptop to TV using WiFi direct.... but after reconnect some device it's not possible to connect again because devices again cant to see each other and you must do restart your router..

Every time when you want to connect wireless some devices in your network you must do restart router before....
Vodarouter maxes its CPU with more than 4 wi-fi devices connected also does not allow pass through between wi-fi and wired networks. My friend
​​Vodarouter maxes its CPU with more than 4 wi-fi devices connected also does not allow pass through between wi-fi and wired networks. My friend uses his as modem as stated before and uses surplus BTHub 5s to get AC wi-fi round house and for his wired cctv.
Original Poster
Can somebody recommend me other network supplier ? Now I pay 23 GBP a month for 38 Mbps but really max is 27 Mbps and it's jump between 5-27.....

I need something fast and cheap with working DLNA and normal router... I need changeable IP address after restarts and connect my devices wireless to TV....

I found TalkTalk for 27 amonth around 38 Mbps... somebody know are they offer changable ip and router with working DLNA ?

BTW. Maybe speed of my internet depens of my wires?? And even If I leave vodafone for TalkTalk will be the same ? Max 27 Mbps no more... even when I checked other sites it says me than on my postcode I can order min 57 Mbps...
riggercom

Vodarouter maxes its CPU with more than 4 wi-fi devices connected also … Vodarouter maxes its CPU with more than 4 wi-fi devices connected also does not allow pass through between wi-fi and wired networks. My friend uses his as modem as stated before and uses surplus BTHub 5s to get AC wi-fi round house and for his wired cctv.

Don't suppose there's a guide you know of showing how to set this up?
1947ksm

Can somebody recommend me other network supplier ? Now I pay 23 GBP a … Can somebody recommend me other network supplier ? Now I pay 23 GBP a month for 38 Mbps but really max is 27 Mbps and it's jump between 5-27..... I need something fast and cheap with working DLNA and normal router... I need changeable IP address after restarts and connect my devices wireless to TV.... I found TalkTalk for 27 amonth around 38 Mbps... somebody know are they offer changable ip and router with working DLNA ?BTW. Maybe speed of my internet depens of my wires?? And even If I leave vodafone for TalkTalk will be the same ? Max 27 Mbps no more... even when I checked other sites it says me than on my postcode I can order min 57 Mbps...

Vodafone gave me a guarantee speed of 30meg. Check your paperwork because they must have given you a guaranteed min speed.

I am coming from plusnet who recently increased their prices. I did a bit of research and people on the Vodafone forum have said you can fix the dlna issue with a switch. I'll find you a link to the forum I was reading.
Original Poster
ceanth41 m ago

Vodafone gave me a guarantee speed of 30meg.

Let me know how will be your speed when you start using vodafone...

I will ask them tomorrow about password and username to connect own router..
1947ksm

Let me know how will be your speed when you start using vodafone...I … Let me know how will be your speed when you start using vodafone...I will ask them tomorrow about password and username to connect own router..

​Their router is terrible, two rooms away from the router and no signal. Turning off 5ghz help a little.

Easy enough to link your own router though, I use my old sky one and it's much improved and does all you are asking.
hi. Had a look around but no specific walk through. Basically you can connect any router with network wan port such as cable router to any LAN port on the voda router. Turn off wi-fi on the voda router thru it's admin portal. Set dhcp range on new router to be different range on the new router so no clash say 192.168.2.1.
use wired network connected laptop with wi-fi off on laptop to change settings on each router as it will be easier. Once you have proven internet access via new router, connect all your wi-fi and wired devices to this. Currently 28 devices on mine atm including phones, tablets, pcs, 4 youviews, central heating etc
riggercom

hi. Had a look around but no specific walk through. Basically you can … hi. Had a look around but no specific walk through. Basically you can connect any router with network wan port such as cable router to any LAN port on the voda router. Turn off wi-fi on the voda router thru it's admin portal. Set dhcp range on new router to be different range on the new router so no clash say 192.168.2.1.use wired network connected laptop with wi-fi off on laptop to change settings on each router as it will be easier. Once you have proven internet access via new router, connect all your wi-fi and wired devices to this. Currently 28 devices on mine atm including phones, tablets, pcs, 4 youviews, central heating etc

Nice. I'll give it a go, might wait for the 10 days for Vodafone network to settle. My activation date is this Wednesday.

Do you experience any speed loss with this setup?
Original Poster
my details from broadbandspeedchecker.co.uk:

Download 21.43 Mb/s
Upload 9.72 Mb/s

But I've pay for 38 Mbps... sometimes it shows me 27-28 max... but no mor... is it normal ??

BTW: I contacted with them and They gave me PPOE DETAILS username and password.... Is it enough to connect new nonVodafone router?
Edited by: "1947ksm" 4th Jun 2017
hi yes it should be. Remember speedtests give throughput. Actual connection and sync speeds can be higher. Test using wired connection direct into router and check router status page. Speeds quoted are always theoretical maximum. Always connect direct to master socket. I got my old TalkTalk ADSL from 12Mb up to 16 or 18Mb download by disconnecting redundant internal extensions, changing microfilter to inbuilt and 3rd party router. I was 300 yards from local exchange as the crow flew but varied when it rained. Everything ultimately depends on the last leg of copper to the house from the fibre cabinet.
​You don't pay for 38meg you pay for upto 38meg as the speed will vary from household to household depending on how far away they are from there cabinet.

Virgin is different as that's cable so you should get the exact speed they advertise.

And yes it's quite possible your speed will vary at peak times if the network is busy.
Original Poster
My router status page shows 40 Mbps Download and 10 Mbps Upload. But when I tried to connect my laptop and router with ethernet there is no connection and in conection status in my laptop is "limited".. I just plugged ethernet wire and it should work?
Nex you're right its up to 38 Mbps.... I will try to connect other router and I will check it again,

Vodafone don't accept 3rd part routers.... They told me that I can use just routers accepted by BT and emailed me a list of routers.
1947ksm

My router status page shows 40 Mbps Download and 10 Mbps Upload. But when … My router status page shows 40 Mbps Download and 10 Mbps Upload. But when I tried to connect my laptop and router with ethernet there is no connection and in conection status in my laptop is "limited".. I just plugged ethernet wire and it should work?Nex you're right its up to 38 Mbps.... I will try to connect other router and I will check it again,Vodafone don't accept 3rd part routers.... They told me that I can use just routers accepted by BT and emailed me a list of routers.

I read how Vodafone were not giving out the username and password so I'm surprised that they gave out yours. I'll ask them for mine after Wednesday. Were they reluctant to give it?
Original Poster
They didn't want to give me but I said I am on cool period and I want to leave if you force me to use you rubbis router... They send me PDF list routers acceptable by them... and acceptable by BT also. So is it enough to connect other router if I've got username and password ? Can someone recommend me some good and cheap router ?
1947ksm

They didn't want to give me but I said I am on cool period and I want to … They didn't want to give me but I said I am on cool period and I want to leave if you force me to use you rubbis router... They send me PDF list routers acceptable by them... and acceptable by BT also. So is it enough to connect other router if I've got username and password ? Can someone recommend me some good and cheap router ?

Thats good to know, i'll say the same thing X)

Im not sure regarding recommended routers. If they sent you a list of routers, maybe check that list and find the cheapest one?

Ive got this one:

ebay.co.uk/itm…275?hash=item2a83a75de3:g:56EAAOSwK6RZLEs4

Currently £5 with 1 hour left. Not 100% sure what "Type A" means, maybe thats why its so cheap.

Anyhow, I get my service on the the 7th and can give my BT Home Hub 5 a try maybe on the weekend and let you know if it works. BT Home Hub 5 is pretty good, works well enough for me.

EDIT: I found this:

community.bt.com/t5/…984

Original Poster
Here is list of approved routers which they send me.

docdroid.net/W8t…tml

Do you thing that it will be possible to log in to Vodafone using BT Home hub ? Is is possible to provide username and password there or there is just BT configuration without possibility to log in ?

1947ksm

Here is list of approved routers which they send … Here is list of approved routers which they send me.https://www.docdroid.net/W8tvO9A/approved-routers.pdf.htmlDo you thing that it will be possible to log in to Vodafone using BT Home hub ? Is is possible to provide username and password there or there is just BT configuration without possibility to log in ?

Yup, should be able to. I am currently using the BT Home Hub 5 with plusnet and it works perfectly.

https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Use-a-BT-Hub-2-3-4-or-5-on-a-Plusnet-connection/td-p/1192234

I can't see why we can't do the same but with Vodafone credentials.
Edited by: "ceanth" 5th Jun 2017
Original Poster
Can you test that DLNA is working with BT Home Hub 5 ? I am thinking about buy it.
1947ksm

Can you test that DLNA is working with BT Home Hub 5 ? I am thinking … Can you test that DLNA is working with BT Home Hub 5 ? I am thinking about buy it.

Sure but it will have to be later in the week, possibly weekend.
Original Poster
Thanks.. I see opinion in the web that on HH5 is same problem with DLNA
1947ksm

Thanks.. I see opinion in the web that on HH5 is same problem with DLNA

Ummm, can you give me a specific senario you want me to test with HH5? It's up and running right now.

For example, I can cast to my TV, both are connected to the HH5 router over wi-fi.

Original Poster
Try to connect your phone or laptop to TV as a screen mirroring or miracast.
1947ksm

Try to connect your phone or laptop to TV as a screen mirroring or … Try to connect your phone or laptop to TV as a screen mirroring or miracast.

I can select the cast option on my phone and the screen is mirrored on the TV. I think this may be working via Chromecast though as my TV has this built in (Sony Android TV)
Original Poster
So you confirmed that it is working ? try to connect your laptop to smart TV like a screen mirroring wireless as well.
1947ksm

So you confirmed that it is working ? try to connect your laptop to smart … So you confirmed that it is working ? try to connect your laptop to smart TV like a screen mirroring wireless as well.

Ok I'll test it tonight. I read somewhere that Chromecast doesn't use DLNA but I'm not 100% sure.

Is there a specific app (android) that only uses only DLNA to connect?
Original Poster
I am using miracast shortcut on phone and windows 8.1 on laptop to connect TV
1947ksm

I am using miracast shortcut on phone and windows 8.1 on laptop to … I am using miracast shortcut on phone and windows 8.1 on laptop to connect TV

Which phone do you have?
Original Poster
HUAWEI P8 Lite
1947ksm

HUAWEI P8 Lite

Ok, im not 100% sure we are talking about the same thing. I don't have a miracast shortcut on my phone (Oneplus 3t). I can simply select "Cast" from the shortcut in the quick menu (I had to click edit and add it) and after clicking this button I can see my TV and the screen is mirrored onto it.

When I get home i'll try it with my laptop but in the past I have used the cast function within Chrome browser to cast my laptop browser to the TV so I know for sure that works.

I believe both functions are using chromecast which I don't think uses DLNA.

I have also managed to cast my Xbox1 to my laptop using the Microsoft Xbox Live app, which was pretty laggy but did work.

All my devices are connected via wifi on the HH5

I can re-test all of this on the vodafone router from Thursday onwards and let you know what happens.

Original Poster
ceanth6 h, 22 m ago

Ok, im not 100% sure we are talking about the same thing. I don't have a …Ok, im not 100% sure we are talking about the same thing. I don't have a miracast shortcut on my phone (Oneplus 3t). I can simply select "Cast" from the shortcut in the quick menu (I had to click edit and add it) and after clicking this button I can see my TV and the screen is mirrored onto it.When I get home i'll try it with my laptop but in the past I have used the cast function within Chrome browser to cast my laptop browser to the TV so I know for sure that works.I believe both functions are using chromecast which I don't think uses DLNA. I have also managed to cast my Xbox1 to my laptop using the Microsoft Xbox Live app, which was pretty laggy but did work.All my devices are connected via wifi on the HH5I can re-test all of this on the vodafone router from Thursday onwards and let you know what happens.

Thank you. Let me know what about connection laptop-TV (screen mirroring)
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions