Vodafone charging me for having my phone stolen?

I have had my phone stolen today, its on contract with vodafone and insured. When I have called them to let them know and ask for another phone to be sent out (as thats what I thought phone insurance was to cover) they told me I need to pay a £25 excess?!?!?!?!
What the hell is this all about? I have paid £7 a month for the last 10 months, and I'm expected to also pay £25...thats £95, the phone is now retailing for £100....so my question is....WHAT IS THE CHUFFIN POINT?????
And also wondered...has anyone else had any issues like this with them? I think its rediculous!

21 Comments

You have to pay an excess with almost EVERY insurance claim.

Think yourself lucky, some charge £50.

yep everyone pays excess,welcome to life!

It's not ridiculus that's how insurance works.

That's why I never insure electronic items, replacing the odd thing that breaks down (or that you lose) is cheaper than paying premiums for years - imo.

Original Poster

oh my god I think its rediculous....I have paid out how much the phone is worth already....the insurance is defo getting cancelled once i get my new phone.
The thing thats really annoying me is once my phone broke and i got it fixed for free...so i dont see how they can say there is an excess on everything so stressed at them at the moment!
PLUS thinking about it i have a £50 excess on my car insurance...so comaring a car to a phone, grrrrrrrrrr i hate vodafone!

Thanks for listenin to the rant tho!

Banned

my phone is costing me 13.50 a month. but the phone retails at alot more so it is worth it for me. also when you signed up for the insurance surely you were given a leaflet or something explaining it all?

hindsight is a wonderful things

Original Poster

DangerGod;4911393

my phone is costing me 13.50 a month. but the phone retails at alot more … my phone is costing me 13.50 a month. but the phone retails at alot more so it is worth it for me. also when you signed up for the insurance surely you were given a leaflet or something explaining it all?

yeah I was given the contract...I cant find it at the minute though, going to have a look through it and make sure its in there somewhere. Im just finding it hard to see the point in been insured when its going to cost you to make a claim seems very daft to me

once my phone broke and i got it fixed for free

that would have been a warranty fix

Original Poster

djnaff;4911434

that would have been a warranty fix

erm well...i stood on it and the screen broke...so i dont think it would have gone through as a warranty thing, wouldnt that just cover manufacturer faults/defects?

Banned

its worth taking the insurance out on an expensive phone, but as soon as the phone drops in price you may as well cancel the insurance

Original Poster

sassie;4911505

its worth taking the insurance out on an expensive phone, but as soon as … its worth taking the insurance out on an expensive phone, but as soon as the phone drops in price you may as well cancel the insurance

Im going to get the replacement then cancel the insurance, I have in effect just paid for a new phone I suppose

Banned

lil_tiger;4911564

Im going to get the replacement then cancel the insurance, I have in … Im going to get the replacement then cancel the insurance, I have in effect just paid for a new phone I suppose

thing is many people could just lose the phones when they get a few scratches on them etc,etc hence why all policies have a bit to pay on them

Never ever take insurance out with the people who supply the goods lol they always scam you. Luckily I get mine free with my bank account.

Shop around for a few quotes, the supermarkets offer good rates

lil_tiger;4911381

oh my god I think its rediculous....I have paid out how much the phone is … oh my god I think its rediculous....I have paid out how much the phone is worth already....the insurance is defo getting cancelled once i get my new phone.The thing thats really annoying me is once my phone broke and i got it fixed for free...so i dont see how they can say there is an excess on everything so stressed at them at the moment!PLUS thinking about it i have a £50 excess on my car insurance...so comaring a car to a phone, grrrrrrrrrr i hate vodafone!Thanks for listenin to the rant tho!

Often people have £250-£500+ excess on their car insurance, £50 would be fairly unusual.

You have just fallen for the trick of insurance, you need to weigh up risk and loss, that's all they did.

BTW, you will probably find that you can't cancel your insurance mid-policy after you have made a claim, depending on whether you have a fixed term or ongoing policy.

Original Poster

pghstochaj;4911619

Often people have £250-£500+ excess on their car insurance, £50 would be f … Often people have £250-£500+ excess on their car insurance, £50 would be fairly unusual.You have just fallen for the trick of insurance, you need to weigh up risk and loss, that's all they did.BTW, you will probably find that you can't cancel your insurance mid-policy after you have made a claim, depending on whether you have a fixed term or ongoing policy.

My excess is £550...but i have 'insurance excess protection' which means i can claim £500 back...making my excess in effect only £50...good considering im only 20 and been driving a couple a months
I have a monthly rolling policy as far as i know, I think I can cancell it any month, so I will call them and cancel it when i recieve my phone

lil_tiger;4911653

My excess is £550...but i have 'insurance excess protection' which means … My excess is £550...but i have 'insurance excess protection' which means i can claim £500 back...making my excess in effect only £50...good considering im only 20 and been driving a couple a months :)I have a monthly rolling policy as far as i know, I think I can cancell it any month, so I will call them and cancel it when i recieve my phone

You might want to check what that also covers, because it might not be as extensive as you think. Secondly, you are doing the same with that insurance as you are with your phone insurance, paying money to try to mitigate against the excess risk - you might pay it for a month and it would be worth it, but they charge the right amount of money to "probably" make a profit from you.

Original Poster

pghstochaj;4911701

You might want to check what that also covers, because it might not be as … You might want to check what that also covers, because it might not be as extensive as you think. Secondly, you are doing the same with that insurance as you are with your phone insurance, paying money to try to mitigate against the excess risk - you might pay it for a month and it would be worth it, but they charge the right amount of money to "probably" make a profit from you.

Yeah I checked loads of times about the car insurance thanks and I think its quite a good idea, think its only about a fiver a month or something...with the phone, I thought it would insure me against damage/loss/theft etc so I presumed I wouldnt need to pay an excess...but now I have found out there is an excess I will be cancelling it

It's well worth checking your household policy as it's usually far cheaper adding a phone there (If not already covered) than taking out a separate mobile phone policy.

John

Banned

Most insurance policies have an excess, like already mentioned, as said above check your house insurance also there are some other companies that offer gadget cover, there was one that charged £9.99 a month which covers 3 gadgets, phone, camera & laptop, etc... The best insurance in my opinion is Orange, they provide a replacement handset very fast, they usually waver the £15 excess if they feel sorry for you the first time around, however next time they do charge the excess, this could have been the same thing for you on your Vodafone cover. They might have wavered it the first time when you broke it and the second time they didnt, however it is normal to have an excess.

Original Poster

MobilePhonez;4911983

Most insurance policies have an excess, like already mentioned, as said … Most insurance policies have an excess, like already mentioned, as said above check your house insurance also there are some other companies that offer gadget cover, there was one that charged £9.99 a month which covers 3 gadgets, phone, camera & laptop, etc... The best insurance in my opinion is Orange, they provide a replacement handset very fast, they usually waver the £15 excess if they feel sorry for you the first time around, however next time they do charge the excess, this could have been the same thing for you on your Vodafone cover. They might have wavered it the first time when you broke it and the second time they didnt, however it is normal to have an excess.

The first time was a different network, I was just using it as an example of how some companies help you out and others dont...taa though
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. How dangerous is Donald trump?1541
    2. The PlayStation VR (PSVR) Thread861853
    3. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764112
    4. ❅☁☁❅ I want☼to talk☼about the☔WEATHER☔no politics☃no religion❅☁☁❅18846129

See more discussions