Vodafone hub - To sell or keep it

Posted 4th Mar
Vodafone recently upgraded my connection to the fibre one and supplied me a new wifi hub too. The old hub was only about 3-4 months old - so the new one is similar to the old one.

What shall I do with the old hub now?

Obviously I can sell it but not going to get much for it.
If I decide to sell it, Do I need to think about if it contain any information about me?
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

9 Comments
There are no customer information on it. Why would you keep it, it's useless for you.
Buckyball04/03/2020 20:05

...Why would you keep it, it's useless for you.

OP could likely re-purpose the subject router as a useful access point on their network, or sell it and risk the £72 unreturned equipment charge.
@AndyRoyd could you elaborate more on useful access point?

could this hub be used for wifi range extending?

I don't think there are any unreturned charges applicable as Vodafone hasn't asked for returning it.
gobanana04/03/2020 20:39

@AndyRoyd could you elaborate more on useful access point? could this hub …@AndyRoyd could you elaborate more on useful access point? could this hub be used for wifi range extending?..

Random Voda forum thread stating use of decom'd router as access point: forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/…499
gobanana04/03/2020 20:39

...I don't think there are any unreturned charges applicable as Vodafone …...I don't think there are any unreturned charges applicable as Vodafone hasn't asked for returning it.

Random example Voda moderator stating £72 non-return fee would be due (dated March 2019, but obvsly one year on it may be different). Best read the t&c applicable to your original contract and any subsequent revisions to contract for definitive answer:
forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/…rue
No one buys old hubs hardly
Vids didn’t ask for mine back
Email Vodafone and ask what to do with the equipment. If they say "Dispose of it" then keep the email safe, and put it out to your recycling bin.

I had this issue when I left VirginMedia a few years ago. I emailed them what to do with the equipment, they said "dispose of it"...I did, then 3 or 4 months later they tried to charge me. The email I saved came to the rescue, and basically told them where to get off!!!
Unless they have changed in the last year Vodafone hubs are locked down to only work for you and only on Vodafone. So selling not really an option.

It could work as a Wi-Fi extender or the power adaptor can always be reused or given to a charity shop that takes electrical items.

They should only ask for £££ for non-return of the router when you leave before contract minimum ends. (Though they sometimes ask by mistake).
Misslovely05/03/2020 08:59

No one buys old hubs hardly Vids didn’t ask for mine back

Yes right as most people get a new one with new contract.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Discussions

Top Merchants