Vodafone Smart Ultra 6 - Changing Supplier and SIM

Found 21st Jan 2016
Hi, I want to buy the Smart Ultra 6, at the moment I am with Virgin Mobile. I have phoned Vodafone and asked them how to unlock the phone, they said I have to have one of their Sims in the phone for 30 days, then phone them and they will unlock it for £20, I posed this question on another site and was told the person at Vodafone was talking absolute rubbish, he said he had bought the phone, inserted their SIM card, purchased an unlock code from eBay and had the phone up and running within 24 hours. Can someone please tell me who is right ? Thanks in advance for any help
Community Updates
AskSimVodafone
16 Comments
I bought this phone with vodaphone went on eBay and ordered an unlock code which arrived via email in few hours and I'm still using that phone now hope this helps
Just buy from ebay, its a code and once unlocked they can do nothing about it.
They are both correct. The official route is the Vodafone one but there is nothing to stop you buying the code from eBay as already stated and getting it unlocked in a couple of hours.if you do a search on here for the smart ultra 6 you should find the links to the ones that I and others used
Original Poster
Thanks everyone for all your help, I will look at the old posts and find the link for a seller on ebay with the unlock code. Also, something I forgot to ask in the original post, when I asked Vodaphone would my warranty still be valid if I unlocked the phone myself, they said no. Has anyone ever had to use the phone warranty even if they unlocked the phone themselves?
Original Poster
beckyisgr8

I bought this phone with vodaphone went on eBay and ordered an unlock … I bought this phone with vodaphone went on eBay and ordered an unlock code which arrived via email in few hours and I'm still using that phone now hope this helps

Yes, thanks it does help.Can you help with one more question, do you have to insert the Vodaphone SIM, then put the unlock code in to unlock it, then remove their SIM, and put the new one in?
Edited by: "Spaceman117" 21st Jan 2016
Original Poster
alan04

They are both correct. The official route is the Vodafone one but there … They are both correct. The official route is the Vodafone one but there is nothing to stop you buying the code from eBay as already stated and getting it unlocked in a couple of hours.if you do a search on here for the smart ultra 6 you should find the links to the ones that I and others used

Thanks alan04, just received so many different answers in the past, here they are all on the same track.
managed to copy the link from my original post for the phone m.ebay.co.uk/itm…826 this was the one I used
Spaceman117

Yes, thanks it does help.Can you help with one more question, do you have … Yes, thanks it does help.Can you help with one more question, do you have to insert the Vodaphone SIM, then put the unlock code in to unlock it, then remove their SIM, and put the new one in?

You put a different network sim in (not vodafone) it will then ask for unlock code. Enter it and you are done. In case of warranty, don't tell them its unlocked or you were using a different sim if anything went wrong. They wouldn't check if it went in for a repair. Although if a replacement is provided it will be locked again.
Original Poster
alan04

managed to copy the link from my original post for the phone … managed to copy the link from my original post for the phone http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/252106469826 this was the one I used

Thanks once again for taking the time to find the link, I have saved the link and will use it when I purchase the phone.. Can you help with one more question please, do you have to insert the Vodaphone SIM, then put the unlock code in to unlock it, then remove their SIM, and put the new one in? Sorry for all the bother (_;)
No problems. when you get the phone you will need to use the IMEI number to get the code from eBay. no need to put the Vodafone sim in at all. put your own sim in and it will ask for the unlock code. enter the code from eBay and all will be good to go. You may need to get the settings for the data from your original provider. Any problems send me a message.
Original Poster
alan04

No problems. when you get the phone you will need to use the IMEI number … No problems. when you get the phone you will need to use the IMEI number to get the code from eBay. no need to put the Vodafone sim in at all. put your own sim in and it will ask for the unlock code. enter the code from eBay and all will be good to go. You may need to get the settings for the data from your original provider. Any problems send me a message.

Thanks alan04, you're a star Great, now I know exactly what to do, I shouldn't need to contact you again (hopefully)
I was thinking about after you got the phone this link may help if the data side doesn't work automatically geeksquad.co.uk/art…ngs
Original Poster
alan04

I was thinking about after you got the phone this link may help if the … I was thinking about after you got the phone this link may help if the data side doesn't work automatically http://www.geeksquad.co.uk/articles/virgin-apn-settings#Virgin%20Android%20APN

​Thanks once more. I did a screen shot of the page just in case I can't find the thread (_;) Did you have any data problems when unlocking your phone and inserting the SIM? By the way, I really didn't expect to get such comprehensive answers on this site, it has been a great and good surprise!
Yes that's why I mentioned it. This was going on Tesco mobile which like Virgin is a virtual operator. I found it would pick up the main players but not the mvno ones properly. You may be OK and not have an issue but it was worth a mention.
Original Poster
Hi again alan04, thanks once again for the information, now I understand why you mentioned it, I think I'm totally prepared now :D, I hope this thread will help others in the future as it has helped. Thanks again!
I have one for sale that is unlocked if you are interested it's virtually brand new
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions