Vodafone Smart Ultra 6 - SD Card problems

LocalFound 14th Feb 2016
Hi, I purchased the Vodafone Smart Ultra 6 a couple of weeks ago, I'm really happy with the phone. I inserted a Micro SD card and then went to move apps to it, I found most of the apps couldn't be moved, very disappointing to say the least. A couple of days later I went to settings > storage and saw at the top 'Default write disk', I tapped on that and it had the option of using the phone or SD Card, so I chose SD Card. I went back to my apps, and low and behold, I could move 99% of my apps to the SD Card, and all pictures and videos were also automatically saved there, great. The next morning, I switched my phone on (I switch my phone off at night) and 5 of my apps had disappeared from my home screens, What'sApp wasn't working properly and a couple of other things as well. I moved the app shortcuts back to the Homescreens, restarted the phone, the app shortcuts had disappeared again, and a couple more. I decided that this wasn't acceptable and decided to go back to storage, and set it back to write to phone, did that, restarted the phone again, went to storage, and it had reversed back to 'Default write disk, SD Card, tried a couple of times to revert back, it wouldn't, so did a factory reset. Does anyone else know why this happened and a way around it. Thanks.
Community Updates
7 Comments
the su6 does have a few strange qurks but the issue ur having with the shortcuts disappearing from the home screens after phone has been switched off is a android/lollipop issue... had the same issue with my old Moto g.

simply don't turn the phone off at night, just stick it into airplane mode.
Don't suppose you connected it to a PC in the interim did you?

I wouldn't bother moving apps to SD anyway - it doesn't move the app cache, just the app itself - and they're not very big. Best thing to do is wait for Marshmallow (if that ever arrives) as it allows you to convert the SD card to an encrypted internal card that acts as part of the internal storage. This has the disadvantage that you can't use it in another device or remove it without decrypting it in the phone, but at least means you can change your internal storage (effectively) from 16GB to 200GB! Useful for things like iPlayer and for large games.
Original Poster
wildcat___

the su6 does have a few strange qurks but the issue ur having with the … the su6 does have a few strange qurks but the issue ur having with the shortcuts disappearing from the home screens after phone has been switched off is a android/lollipop issue... had the same issue with my old Moto g. simply don't turn the phone off at night, just stick it into airplane mode.

​Thanks for your reply. I had the Moto G before this one and also my wife, and never had a problem like this, but thanks anyway
Original Poster
wildcat___

the su6 does have a few strange qurks but the issue ur having with the … the su6 does have a few strange qurks but the issue ur having with the shortcuts disappearing from the home screens after phone has been switched off is a android/lollipop issue... had the same issue with my old Moto g. simply don't turn the phone off at night, just stick it into airplane mode.

​Thanks for your reply. I had the Moto G before this one and also my wife, and never had a problem like this, but thanks anyway
Original Poster
misterleoni

Don't suppose you connected it to a PC in the interim did you? I wouldn't … Don't suppose you connected it to a PC in the interim did you? I wouldn't bother moving apps to SD anyway - it doesn't move the app cache, just the app itself - and they're not very big. Best thing to do is wait for Marshmallow (if that ever arrives) as it allows you to convert the SD card to an encrypted internal card that acts as part of the internal storage. This has the disadvantage that you can't use it in another device or remove it without decrypting it in the phone, but at least means you can change your internal storage (effectively) from 16GB to 200GB! Useful for things like iPlayer and for large games.

​Thanks misterleoni for the information about the apps cache, didn't know this. Also, before purchasing the Smart Ultra 6 I did consider the Moto G 3rd Gen knowing it will get Marshmallow, and that it could convert the SD card to an encrypted internal card, but the Ultra 6 had more things I wanted in a phone than the Moto G. Also, when I saw the Ultra 6 was getting an update to Android 5.1.1, I thought there was a good chance that the Ultra 6 would get Marshmallow, as I read somewhere that phones receive the 5.1.1 update as phone manufacturers install 5.1.1 in preparation for the Marshmallow update. Thanks again
I had the same problem so stopped using the phone and bought a Samsung Galaxy S6 but it is stupid won't save to SD
Original Poster
After I did the factory reset the phone is back to normal, I have managed to save some apps to the SD card, so I am happy with the phone again, it's still a great phone. Let's hope it gets Marshmallow soon
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants