Vodaphone BB router

Posted 29th Aug 2020
Hello.

Does anyone have any experience with the new style Vodaphone BB router? We have been a customer using the old router for a few years but it struggles with distance WiFi and drops connections often. I was thinking about moving over to BT but was interested to know some thoughts first. (Virgin is not available unfortunately)

Cheers.
Community Updates
Ask
24 Comments
Opinion offered in thread few months ago but obviously nobody of right mind would make a decision based on a dataset of one, unless you were that one customer
hotukdeals.com/com…827
Yes, Vodafone's latest Vox 3.0 rourer is good imo. Certainly better than the last one which for me was unusable.
Old router is terrible, the new one is actually pretty good. I've had both, currently using the new one without issues on 30+ WiFi devices, the last one struggled.
Edited by: "dirty_stan" 30th Aug
Realistically no hub is great, when you say distance WiFi I'm assuming the house is a decent size. If so then you need to consider a mesh network, you'll never look back. BT have complete WiFi if you don't want to buy your own equipment, however you can buy some cheap decent stuff nowadays that are suitable for slow and fast speed broadband. If you want any advice let me know
Vodafone router gets WiFi all around our 4 bedroom home .
Thanks for the replays so far.

It’s a four bed house of reasonable size however the main problem is where the income coming phone line is - very front of the house in the study, so the back bed rooms struggle to get a stable solid connection. I have got round this in the past by mounting the hub centrally but this means loads of unsightly cables.

I’m not sure I need a full on mesh system and then again I have no idea what they are .
markeas30/08/2020 07:03

Thanks for the replays so far. It’s a four bed house of reasonable size h …Thanks for the replays so far. It’s a four bed house of reasonable size however the main problem is where the income coming phone line is - very front of the house in the study, so the back bed rooms struggle to get a stable solid connection. I have got round this in the past by mounting the hub centrally but this means loads of unsightly cables. I’m not sure I need a full on mesh system and then again I have no idea what they are .

If it is a fairly new build then WiFi will likely travel to the back of the house, however it will be a slow and weak signal. WiFi will be sent from the hub under 2 frequencies (2.4Ghz and 5Ghz), without any additional equipment you will be getting a very slow and unstable 2.4Ghz connection. This frequency is slow even with a strong and stable connection, so I guess it depends what you want to use the broadband for in those latter rooms. It also depends what broadband speeds you're actually getting from the Openreach network, I'm guessing you are on a FTTC (fibre to the cabinet) package?
It’s a lot better too although the old one wasn’t bad either lol
Open Reach Modem
mymemory.co.uk/bt-…tml

Then TP-Link Deco M5
amazon.co.uk/Dec…c=1

You'll have all the coverage you need and the Deco M5 units are small and nicely styled.
In the worst part of my house (furthest from any node with multiple walls in between), my speeds are 56 Down 16 Up.
decenbt mesh network or after market access point if you have any real respect for your network. Hub's are from every ISP is just from a company would would produce the most for the lowest price, there is no quality there.
Our telephone socket is by the front door and had to buy an extension lead to get router near TV. This is also right at the front of the house and the Wifi is good in all rooms. Before going with Vodafone I used to have a Tenda AC 7 router set up as a WiFi repeater in the bedroom above the main router. This gave really good signal all around the house.
Try now tv broadband part of sky
spruceyb30/08/2020 08:11

Open Reach …Open Reach Modemhttps://www.mymemory.co.uk/bt-openreach-huawei-vdsl-fttc-fibre-modem-refurbished-hg612.htmlThen TP-Link Deco M5https://www.amazon.co.uk/Deco-M5-Coverage-Replacement-Antivirus/dp/B071241G3R/ref=asc_df_B071241G3R/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=231934499675&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=18192017638177428485&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9045458&hvtargid=pla-386960545802&psc=1&th=1&psc=1You'll have all the coverage you need and the Deco M5 units are small and nicely styled.In the worst part of my house (furthest from any node with multiple walls in between), my speeds are 56 Down 16 Up.

Silly question, will extender things work with the current router?
markeas30/08/2020 14:57

Silly question, will extender things work with the current router?

You can set it in Access point mode with the current router but you loose out on a lot of extra features that are nice when the TP Link is the device doing the routing.
tp-link.com/uk/…99/

Also, I went for the Huawei modem because it's meant to be a lot more stable and have better speeds than the Vodafone router.
I had the Deco M5 setup already too as I was with Virgin before and their SuperHub 3 was practically unusable as a router.
Edited by: "spruceyb" 30th Aug
I use the Tp link ac1900 with my voda broadband much better they recently renewed contract and sent the new router but not tired it yet.
The Tp link is a much better router then my old voda one but have heard the new Voda router is much better then the old one as well.
To switch routers I just had to get the login details off Voda which they gave me without any issues.
Ditch the rubbish ISP router altogether and buy a decent brand one, you will see a huge increase in performance
Had both as upgraded from fibre 1 to fibre 2 in recent months.
New router much better coverage in 3 bed semi - so much so that no need for BT mini discs ( which started randomly dropping WiFi for no reason)
bobdylan31/08/2020 10:15

Ditch the rubbish ISP router altogether and buy a decent brand one, you …Ditch the rubbish ISP router altogether and buy a decent brand one, you will see a huge increase in performance

Any recommendations?
Netgear Nighthawk or Asus I've had and both give decent performance
bobdylan31/08/2020 21:47

Netgear Nighthawk or Asus I've had and both give decent performance

I've got a Asus Nighthawk that I was using before Vodafones new router and the new Vodafone router is on par if not better than that imo. I'm using the provided router due to using the Vodafone app and getting the discount applied as they never quite reach the minimum speed guarantee. It usually syncs at around 53Mbps hence I get a discount every month.
Edited by: ".MUFC." 1st Sep
Already mentioned the Tp link ac1900 if you get the new Voda router I would deffo try that first any issues the Tp link ones are very easy to set up but it all depends on how much you want to spend as obviously the more you spend the better the routers will be.
But saying that the Tp link one I have had is miles better then the old one which could not get half the speed it should have over WiFi.
I spend 120 for my router on amazon
Edited by: "dickypreston" 1st Sep
dickypreston01/09/2020 10:22

Already mentioned the Tp link ac1900 if you get the new Voda router I …Already mentioned the Tp link ac1900 if you get the new Voda router I would deffo try that first any issues the Tp link ones are very easy to set up but it all depends on how much you want to spend as obviously the more you spend the better the routers will be.But saying that the Tp link one I have had is miles better then the old one which could not get half the speed it should have over WiFi.I spend 120 for my router on amazon

I also used one of these, The WiFi range was really good, Probably better than Vodafones and the Nighthawk I had but sadly it would crash at least once a day. Maybe it was faulty, I had bought it second hand. It was really easy to setup though. Easier than the Nighthawk anyway.
.MUFC.01/09/2020 11:06

I also used one of these, The WiFi range was really good, Probably better …I also used one of these, The WiFi range was really good, Probably better than Vodafones and the Nighthawk I had but sadly it would crash at least once a day. Maybe it was faulty, I had bought it second hand. It was really easy to setup though. Easier than the Nighthawk anyway.

Think I have only restarted mine a couple of times since getting it last year i have 2 boys who have all kinds of kit connected to it games consoles, phones, smart TVs etc it’s been solid so far.
I had no choice but to find somet else myself the old router was god awful and wasn’t aware a new one was coming out lol the deal was a lot cheaper then BT so even with the cost of a new router I still saved over the yearly contract with BT.
So looks like the first plan of attack is to try and get the new router if that’s not working look at a mesh/new router.

Thanks for all the help.
Post a comment
@
    Text