VoIP - Any experience?

Posted 17th Dec 2019
I currently have Vodafone home phone and broadband (using the BT network, not cable). But due to my distance from the exchange my speed is not that great (20-25M/sec approx). I do however get good 4G signal from Three (+60M/sec).

Being a 3 customer I can get their home broadband for £20 per month. However this means getting rid of our landline, which my wife is not keen on. Please don't get fixated by this, I can't see the logic as we both have mobile phones, but she wants to keep a landline.

This has lead me to VoIP. I have the following questions.......

1. Has anybody got any experience of VoIP? Is it any good?

2. Is there a way I can keep my existing home phone number? I appreciate it will not be free. Sites offering VoIP appear a bit vague on this detail.

Thanks in advance
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

13 Comments
I regularly use a VOIP landline over 3 network, no issues. It is unlikely you can retain your current Voda number and take it to VOIP (unless you can find a cost effective VOIP provider with a porting agreement with Voda). VOIP provider Sipgate will give you a freebie landline number of your geographic choice, with zero ongoing costs for access to the network and voicemail to email etc; just pay for any optional outgoing calls teamhelp.sipgate.co.uk/hc/…om-
You could try Voipfone for a Voda port, but if they accept the port it will cost you £2.30 a month to retain it, unless Voipfone can be subsequently ported to zero cost Sipgate voipfone.co.uk/PB_…php
Sipgate charge around £30 for a port-in; Voipfone about £24 for a port-in.
I’ve recently signed up to Vodafone Gigafast. Great speeds with the net (500+ on speed tests) but what they fail to disclose to you is that if you port your number over to a VOIP service from a Openreach line (BT) you can’t switch it back the other way. Also you could keep your existing landline running and just get a new number for the voip with your new broadband provider. Only had it installed a week and there’s bit of noise on the line so spent a lot of time on the phone trying to get it sorted! Also only the phone that is connected to the router will work all the others become dead unless you get a set of phones which all connect to the base station. VoIP phones tend to cost a lot more than a set of DECT phones as well so tread carefully!
Edited by: "kappaz187" 17th Dec 2019
I use TheVoipShop's Home Office plan thevoipshop.co.uk/cal…ess
I have set it up on Philips Gigaset S850A phone, worked effortlessly for the last 3 years
kappaz18717/12/2019 18:56

...VoIP phones tend to cost a lot more than a set of DECT phones as well …...VoIP phones tend to cost a lot more than a set of DECT phones as well so tread carefully!

Use with a freebie smartphone / tablet VOIP app, or use your existing standard DECT phones via a VOIP adapter from say £15+ for the ubiquitous PAP2T or clones.
Great replies people. Many thanks for taking the time.
kappaz18717/12/2019 18:56

...but what they fail to disclose to you is that if you port your number …...but what they fail to disclose to you is that if you port your number over to a VOIP service from a Openreach line (BT) you can’t switch it back the other way.

I've ported originally BT numbers multiple times between different comms providers without issue. Not attempted to port any number back to BT as BT solutions are rarely cost effective.
AndyRoyd17/12/2019 19:34

Use with a freebie smartphone / tablet VOIP app, or use your existing …Use with a freebie smartphone / tablet VOIP app, or use your existing standard DECT phones via a VOIP adapter from say £15+ for the ubiquitous PAP2T or clones.

I don’t mind it it’s the elderly parents that are bothered! Voda are sending me a replacement adapter so will see how we get on with that otherwise it’s back to BT
AndyRoyd17/12/2019 19:39

I've ported originally BT numbers multiple times between different comms …I've ported originally BT numbers multiple times between different comms providers without issue. Not attempted to port any number back to BT as BT solutions are rarely cost effective.

I presume you ported them from one Openreach network to another? It’s the whole going to and from a VOIP service which is the issue although just having spoken to BT their now saying they can port it back. As per other msg it’s the oldies that use it a lot to call local/international otherwise I’d have got shot long ago😫😫
Previously we had 6 numbers in our office into our exchange all costing a high monthly rental, changed to BT using Voip with one number transferred over and the main Broadband on this number costing £20+ monthly rental the extra ones were 50p each so all calls to all 6 number ring at the Voip line.

We have an unlimited package costing about £15 monthly so all normal calls anywhere including abroad are 100% free

We have 4 Voip cordless phones they cost us about £300+ for 4 and belong to us now with no further payments.

The actual Voip system allows us to do many things with the calls, faxes, messages ect that we could not do on a normal BT line and record every call if needed and take messages and email you to let you know.

As long as your broadband is working the Voip system is working.

So all in all quite happy as on the 6 line rental we have saved about £150 monthly alone.
Been using VoIP at home using Siemens Gigaset DECT system for 15 years. Its so good you completely forget you're using VoIP.
We get free international calls to many countries including USA:

voipcheap.co.uk/cal…es/

Free UK landline calls as well.
AndyRoyd17/12/2019 19:34

Use with a freebie smartphone / tablet VOIP app, or use your existing …Use with a freebie smartphone / tablet VOIP app, or use your existing standard DECT phones via a VOIP adapter from say £15+ for the ubiquitous PAP2T or clones.

So, if I get a PAP2T adapter for my DECT phones, is it then free to use VOIP to make calls?
Right I have ordered the Three home braodband. I can then give it a go, and then do a full switch if the wife approves. Thanks for all the replies. Think I will get a VoIP adapter for 'normal' phones. Look to be about £30.
bobdylan18/12/2019 11:49

So, if I get a PAP2T adapter for my DECT phones, is it then free to use …So, if I get a PAP2T adapter for my DECT phones, is it then free to use VOIP to make calls?

The PAP2T (or similar) adapter allows you to use standard landline telephones with a VOIP service (or you could exclusively use a smartphone app instead). The VOIP service provider you choose will determine the cost of using the VOIP service.
The post above yours indicates Voipcheap offers some form of freebie outgoing call service. That provider's VOIP adapter setup page suggests you can make up to 200 minutes of freebie calls per week, but obvsly check terms & conditions prior to any commitment voipcheap.com/sip
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions