Volkswagen and Seat 'potentially lethal' seatbelt fault

Found 14th May
News worth knowing, especially if you have a family and own one of the cars affected.

2939629-I5gqE.jpg(via The Week)

Described as 'potentially lethal', some of the bestselling models in the Volkswagen Group may have the seat belt fault.

Cars affected by the seatbelt issue, which was discovered by the Finnish magazine Tekniikan Maailma, include the Volkswagen Polo hatchback and two models from Seat.

Tests conducted by the magazine, and later confirmed by the German carmaker, found that the rear-left seatbelt in all three cars can become unbuckled at higher speeds, the newspaper says.

According to Auto Express, the fault is caused by the socket of the rear-middle seatbelt pushing down on the release button for the rear-left seatbelt during high-speed lane changes.

The issue was first noticed by the Finnish motoring magazine on the Seat Arona, Auto Express reports. It was later replicated on the SEAT Ibiza and Volkswagen Polo.

All three of these cars use the same underpinnings provided by the Volkswagen Group. They also use seatbelts supplied by the Japanese automotive parts firm Takata.

Volkswagen has confirmed its awareness of the issue. The firm has advised drivers of the cars affected by the fault to avoid sitting in the middle seat.

A spokesperson for the company told Autocar that Volkswagen planned to provide a technical solution shortly and “recall the vehicles concerned.”

The representative said the recalls would be carried out “in co-operation with the national vehicle registration authorities, who also approve the safety recall measures.”

So, no real specifics on the vehicles affected as yet, but the group will be contacting affected owners once a plan is in place.
Community Updates
Misc
Top comments
"The firm has advised drivers of the cars affected by the fault to avoid sitting in the middle seat."

I would have thought that the driver sitting in the middle seat of any car would be pretty dangerous
Time to take my mother in law for a spin
5 Comments
Going to assume it's newer models?
"The firm has advised drivers of the cars affected by the fault to avoid sitting in the middle seat."

I would have thought that the driver sitting in the middle seat of any car would be pretty dangerous
kingp1n3 m ago

Going to assume it's newer models?

Yes it is. I had to check myself as we have an Ibiza but luckily ours is too old to be affected. This is the statement.

SEAT has confirmed a technical issue on the new Ibiza (2017 and 2018 models) and Arona (2018 model year): there is the possibility that in rare situations (e.g. sudden quick lane changes with five passengers on board) and when the rear center seat and the rear left seat are occupied at the same time, the left seat belt could be unintentionally released.
Time to take my mother in law for a spin
First BMW now VW where’s this German reliability everyone raves about?
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions