VOLKSWAGEN diagnostic and reset TOOL

Found 1st JunEdited by:"splender"
Which make model do you recommend for VW cars (VW, Seat, Skoda...)?

Year is 2012.

Do diagnostics, clear fault code such as sensors' like Adblue..

Up to £200 to buy (and where from)?
Community Updates
AskHome & GardenDIY
19 Comments
What year is the car in question?

Do you want laptop based? or handheld?
Edited by: "J4GG4" 1st Jun
mrty8 h, 36 m ago

Odb2 from ebay.. About £6 from British seller. Download app to phone and …Odb2 from ebay.. About £6 from British seller. Download app to phone and read codes and reset from your phone.Odb

J4GG48 h, 44 m ago

What year is the car in question?Do you want laptop based? or handheld?

Year is 2012

Either will do, value for money in effectivenss, handheld is preferable though I have a very small portable laptop with USB connection or with Bluetooth, for when I am travelling long distance, I got that Adblue sensor intermittent on/off warning with the fluid sensor.

Plus to clear other minor faults and do some diagnostics myself before going to a garage.

I am looking at iCarsoft 908 OBD2 handheld at the moment for about £100.
Edited by: "splender" 1st Jun
Odb2 from ebay.. About £6 from British seller. Download app to phone and read codes and reset from your phone.

Odb
Edited by: "mrty" 1st Jun
mrty18 m ago

Odb2 from ebay.. About £6 from British seller. Download app to phone and …Odb2 from ebay.. About £6 from British seller. Download app to phone and read codes and reset from your phone.Odb

Good suggestion, how do you think of this from Amazon for £15, Vgate ICar 2 OBD2 rathert than a "knock-off" ? It claims to do the DPF (Diesel particulate data).

amazon.co.uk/Vga…6b3
Edited by: "splender" 1st Jun
VCDS by RossTech.

allows all sorts of diagnostics and coding. Little pricy though but known for being the best laptop diagnostic and coding tool for VAG
The Odb2 has an app you download to your phone, so no need for Laptop. Just throw the device in the glove box, or even leave it plugged in. It's Bluetooth so really convenient - suggest you get it from Amazon and try it. If its not suitable for some reason return it.
got one of the amazon ones for about a tenner the other week, did the job for what i needed as I was expecting the error to be what it was, was able to reset it in seconds. As you mention adblue sounds like you have a new model, if its just to switch off the adblue light it could be like the service indicator which is done else where, have a look on google and see if there is a way to reset it.
mds12561 h, 35 m ago

VCDS by RossTech.allows all sorts of diagnostics and coding. Little pricy …VCDS by RossTech.allows all sorts of diagnostics and coding. Little pricy though but known for being the best laptop diagnostic and coding tool for VAG

Cheapest solution from Ross Tech is?
As above VCDS lite will do most of the stuff you want but if you want access to more on the car i believe you need a VAG-COM cable as a standard obd won't do it.
splender6 h, 4 m ago

Cheapest solution from Ross Tech is?

Depends on the car, I have a micro can as that is the one that suits my golf mk7 but depends on the model of your car. I think my genuine cable was around £180 but that was around 5 years ago now
stefromuk3 h, 55 m ago

As above VCDS lite will do most of the stuff you want but if you want …As above VCDS lite will do most of the stuff you want but if you want access to more on the car i believe you need a VAG-COM cable as a standard obd won't do it.

Sorry, forgot to say that car is 2012 , not pre-2004
Those OBD2 Bluetooth work fine under £ 5 to reset codes etc. For slightly more functions u may have to buy some software if u can't be bothered to go there all the free phones.
We use product called carista. Cost £15 off Amazon and connects via Bluetooth to phone/tablet

You can either use their app, first 30 days are free or use any other app out there. Carista app can unlock and enable hidden extras that are pre installed in your car. You also then have options to use other apps, such as Torque Pro and VAG dpf which are both excellent apps.

There is a slightly better piece of kit which is similar to carista but little more functionality for VAGs but can't remember name off top of my head, We came across it when looking at user reviews on net.
I bought a bluetooth odb2 reader that pair with my phone for about £6. Read andCleared faults on many of my mates cars including vw polo.
Don't buy the cheap bluetooth OBD readers. The software is very generic, so you're restricted in accessing and/or erasing faults in certain ECU's. AdBlu may be one of the ones it wont work well with.

VAGCOM vcds is the best option for the home user. You need a laptop though. But it will 100% work with your car. The price is from £350 I believe.

Or ODIS 5054a which is the dealer tool for VAG vehicles. Cheaper than VCDS to buy, but more complicated to use.
The paid for app on carista has pretty much all dealer level access of vcds/vag com

I can only vouch for what it accesses on our audi a5 but no difference to vag com except for much simplier interface.

Audi Technician recommended it to us at local dealership due to their rip off charges for simple diagnosis and adjustments

If you send over engine code to carista developers they will send you over details of everything app can access and what functions are available
Edited by: "charleaward81" 2nd Jun
J4GG414 h, 27 m ago

Don't buy the cheap bluetooth OBD readers. The software is very generic, …Don't buy the cheap bluetooth OBD readers. The software is very generic, so you're restricted in accessing and/or erasing faults in certain ECU's. AdBlu may be one of the ones it wont work well with.VAGCOM vcds is the best option for the home user. You need a laptop though. But it will 100% work with your car. The price is from £350 I believe.Or ODIS 5054a which is the dealer tool for VAG vehicles. Cheaper than VCDS to buy, but more complicated to use.

£350vs £3.50 I would try my luck with the cheaper one first it's mostly a connection and a reset function so it shouldn't matter about the price more of a software issue.
charleaward8115 h, 53 m ago

The paid for app on carista has pretty much all dealer level access of …The paid for app on carista has pretty much all dealer level access of vcds/vag comI can only vouch for what it accesses on our audi a5 but no difference to vag com except for much simplier interface.Audi Technician recommended it to us at local dealership due to their rip off charges for simple diagnosis and adjustmentsIf you send over engine code to carista developers they will send you over details of everything app can access and what functions are available

Thanks for your tips, guys.

I am settling on a laptop/cable £200 unit (Ross-Tech) as well as a Bluetooth for £15 for spare/convenience to have this plugged in when on the road.
J4GG421 h, 49 m ago

Don't buy the cheap bluetooth OBD readers. The software is very generic, …Don't buy the cheap bluetooth OBD readers. The software is very generic, so you're restricted in accessing and/or erasing faults in certain ECU's. AdBlu may be one of the ones it wont work well with.VAGCOM vcds is the best option for the home user. You need a laptop though. But it will 100% work with your car. The price is from £350 I believe.Or ODIS 5054a which is the dealer tool for VAG vehicles. Cheaper than VCDS to buy, but more complicated to use.

Edited by: "splender" 3rd Jun
I keep forgetting that this isn't M.S.E !!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions